Question about Gobies and QT

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, we just got a pair of pink bar gobies (Shrimp goby?), and they are in the quarantine tank, ready for meds, however I have read that gobies are sensitive to medications, and being new to saltwater fish, I wanted to make sure as to which meds are safe. I have copper power, and cupramine, but I've read they are sensitive to copper, and my current QT protocol, is to treat with two rounds of prazi after the copper has run its course, do I need to change my protocol for these little guys?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, we just got a pair of pink bar gobies (Shrimp goby?), and they are in the quarantine tank, ready for meds, however I have read that gobies are sensitive to medications, and being new to saltwater fish, I wanted to make sure as to which meds are safe. I have copper power, and cupramine, but I've read they are sensitive to copper, and my current QT protocol, is to treat with two rounds of prazi after the copper has run its course, do I need to change my protocol for these little guys?
The trouble with those types of gobies is that they can feel really uncomfortable in a bare QT. How to you have it set up so that they can have burrows? Are they a bonded pair? Are they feeding well for you?

Personally, I would use coppersafe on them, I see fewer issues with that product, although it doesn't work as well for active diseases. You could try to avoid copper, but just having it on hand and then waiting to see if ich or velvet develop, and if not, just treat later on with prazi...but that isn't quite as safe.

Jay

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a small bowl of silica based sand in there, that they have been digging in. They haven't touched pellets yet, but they are eating frozen mysis. They are as far as I can tell, a bonded pair, were sold as a bonded pair, but I take that with a grain of salt from most vendors. They stick pretty close to each other, have shown no aggressive tendencies toward each other. I just have CP and Cupramine on hand, but CS is pretty available nearby, so it wouldn't be difficult to get that this weekend.

They are extremely skiddish thus far, but beyond that, appear relatively healthy. I haven't started any sort of treatment yet, due to the stuff I've read.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back