Question about Spectracide Stump Remover dosing

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How everyone. I know it has been a while for this thread. But here is my situation:
- I am stuck in zero nitrates quadrant because of nitrate export things I have ( marine pure media and algae scrubber)
- I tried raising nitrates before using tree stump remover and Randy's formula but all my sps crashed probably due to impurities in that product.

Now I see an ongoing discussing favoring Sodium Nitrate over Porassium Nitrate. So my questions are:
1. Is Sodium nitrate the preferred route?
2. Where to get quality food grade sodium nitrate powder?
3. What is the recipe for using it to raise nitrates?

Thanks a lot

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How everyone. I know it has been a while for this thread. But here is my situation:
- I am stuck in zero nitrates quadrant because of nitrate export things I have ( marine pure media and algae scrubber)
- I tried raising nitrates before using tree stump remover and Randy's formula but all my sps crashed probably due to impurities in that product.

Now I see an ongoing discussing favoring Sodium Nitrate over Porassium Nitrate. So my questions are:
1. Is Sodium nitrate the preferred route?
2. Where to get quality food grade sodium nitrate powder?
3. What is the recipe for using it to raise nitrates?

Thanks a lot
Sodium is so plentiful in the aquarium, you won't move the needle. Potassium can be affected by dosing.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So this is the one you are using in your tank?
What is the recipe?
I looked it up a few years ago. I don't use much and I have a small tank. If I remember correctly, it's 2x more concentrated than the KNO3. There is information on it. I wrote on the bottle the ml per ppm for my small tank.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked it up a few years ago. I don't use much and I have a small tank. If I remember correctly, it's 2x more concentrated than the KNO3. There is information on it. I wrote on the bottle the ml per ppm for my small tank.
Ok thanks so maybe I will wait for Randy to chime in on the formula specifics.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reagent grade is a good choice (the amazon link), as is food grade.
Thanks Randy, I posted this question for you on another thread, what is the formula for dosing?
Like how many grams to add to 1 L of Rodi?
How much to use of that solution per gallon of tank water to raise nitrates by like 1ppm?
Thanks a lot

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, I posted this question for you on another thread, what is the formula for dosing?
Like how many grams to add to 1 L of Rodi?
How much to use of that solution per gallon of tank water to raise nitrates by like 1ppm?
Thanks a lot
I've always been a dose and measure person. Take a measurement, dose X amount of solution, wait 10 minutes then test again. Now you known how many ppm 1, 5, 10ml will change the tank level.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I totally understand the rationale for sodium nitrate but what about calcium nitrate? Would that supplement dosing you might otherwise do? Definitely not a chemist here.

Thanks... presently trying the stump remover and isn't moving the needle.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I totally understand the rationale for sodium nitrate but what about calcium nitrate? Would that supplement dosing you might otherwise do? Definitely not a chemist here.

Thanks... presently trying the stump remover and isn't moving the needle.

Adequately pure calcium nitrate is a perfectly fine choice. Maybe better than sodium nitrate, but it is not always available DIY. It will not be more potent than sodium or potassium nitrate.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah checked out where to get that and I would have to "pretend" to be a school or research lab. Trains exploding in Iowa carrying calcium nitrate isn't helping.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why not use the brightwell neonitro instead of the modernist pantry sodium nitrate?

Also would an API nitrate test not register anything for these products for some reason? Does it only register from the conversion of nitrite?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why not use the brightwell neonitro instead of the modernist pantry sodium nitrate?

Also would an API nitrate test not register anything for these products for some reason? Does it only register from the conversion of nitrite?

Cost?

Known purity of the food grade?

Brightwell, is not claiming any specific purity, and seems to gets things confused on chemistry issues any way.

Nitrate is nitrate. Any functioning kit can detect it. They do it by conversion of a portion of it to nitrite.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. I bought the item you recommended plus a few others. I'm just confused because 10ml in 1 gallon of rodi isn't registering anything and I figured it should definitely show at that concentration. Even got another test kit to make sure.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. I bought the item you recommended plus a few others. I'm just confused because 10ml in 1 gallon of rodi isn't registering anything and I figured it should definitely show at that concentration. Even got another test kit to make sure.

Can you clarify what you mean by 10 mL in a gallon of RO/DI?

You are trying to test the stock solution itself, consisting of 10 dry powder mL in a gallon of RO/DI?

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precisely. I haven't tested the sodium nitrate yet but I've tested both the stump remover and neo nitrate and neither register at that concentration. I thought it would definitely register at that concentration.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precisely. I haven't tested the sodium nitrate yet but I've tested both the stump remover and neo nitrate and neither register at that concentration. I thought it would definitely register at that concentration.

What concentration? What kit?

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same Concentration of 10ml or 10 grams (neo nitro is liquid stump remover is grams) per 1 gallon. The kit I'm using for testing is API. Probably not the best kit out there but during cycling I measured up to 40 ppm. Regardless I'm going to test the sodium nitrate too. I'm shooting for 5ppm in a system with total volume of about 200 gallons.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know the neonitro concentration.

Did you use the James planted tank calculator to make a dosing solution?

Use the entry for "nitrate from potassium nitrate" as it is close enough.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back