Question: Adding Multiple Yellow Tangs

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased 2, captive bred yellow tangs from Biota. The first couple weeks the fish were good with little to no aggression, now fast forward I had to remove one of the tangs and place it in an acclimation box because it was being bullied so bad by the larger tang.

I've been doing my research and I know odd numbers is best and adding them at the same time shows success. My thought is to purchase 3 more yellow tangs for my 240 gallon, giving me a total 5 tangs to distribute the aggression.

Does this plan seem worth while or should I cut my losses and re-home the tang in my acclimation box?

Any feedback would be great... Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen other reef tanks with lots of yellow tangs, so hopefully the yellow tang gang (lol) can weigh-in.
LOL. Yes lets see what everyone has to say!

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently introduced a trio of tangs from another reefer in to my tank. Two yellows and a purple. The three were originally purchased and raised together. I'm shocked that they are doing well together, I was prepared to pass on one of the yellow tangs to a fellow reefer. Its working out and all three are happy!

Occasional jockeying for caves at night but no issues @ all with the three. I did have a resident scopas tang that blew a gasket with the new intros and its gone now, but the smaller 2-2.5 inch sailfin can care less.

FullSizeR(3).jpg
FullSizeR(4).jpg

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 yellows, a white tail bristletooth, hippo and a purple in a 310. I think that spreading aggression works, but that's an expensive experiment. Sticking a small mirror to the outside has worked for me in the past. They fight their reflection for a couple weeks, spreading the aggression, and when you pull the mirror they seem to get along better.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don’t see anything in the yellow tangs… I mean in my eyes it’s just an aggressive blob of yellow. I wouldn’t add another 3 to the mix as that would look like a lot of yellow IMHO.
Personally I’d pass on the yellows altogether and go with some smaller fish as then you can have a much more reeflike tank with more small species instead of a ton of large fish that may eventually look out of place.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just recently introduced a trio of tangs from another reefer in to my tank. Two yellows and a purple. The three were originally purchased and raised together. I'm shocked that they are doing well together, I was prepared to pass on one of the yellow tangs to a fellow reefer. Its working out and all three are happy!

Occasional jockeying for caves at night but no issues @ all with the three. I did have a resident scopas tang that blew a gasket with the new intros and its gone now, but the smaller 2-2.5 inch sailfin can care less.

FullSizeR(3).jpg
FullSizeR(4).jpg
The key is together and 3-5 is best for lower aggression
Yes, provide hiding and tank length for their best interest

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Personally I don’t see anything in the yellow tangs… I mean in my eyes it’s just an aggressive blob of yellow. I wouldn’t add another 3 to the mix as that would look like a lot of yellow IMHO.
Personally I’d pass on the yellows altogether and go with some smaller fish as then you can have a much more reeflike tank with more small species instead of a ton of large fish that may eventually look out of place.
Yellows are my least aggressive. Powder blue is a different story

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I guess tangs are all personal taste but IMHO, that many large fish with fully yellow bodies is just too much yellow for me.
It’s the first fish anyone catches when I get company at home and the reason I went with a school of them

Fishboy-1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased 2, captive bred yellow tangs from Biota. The first couple weeks the fish were good with little to no aggression, now fast forward I had to remove one of the tangs and place it in an acclimation box because it was being bullied so bad by the larger tang.

I've been doing my research and I know odd numbers is best and adding them at the same time shows success. My thought is to purchase 3 more yellow tangs for my 240 gallon, giving me a total 5 tangs to distribute the aggression.

Does this plan seem worth while or should I cut my losses and re-home the tang in my acclimation box?

Hey, I currently have 21 tangs in my 600 gal. reef. 8 yellow tangs; 7 purple tangs, 1 naso, 1 unicorn, 1 sailfin, 1 clown tang, 1 scopas, 1 tomini, when adding mine my experience is best to add as many as you can all at once. Make sure there are a lot of hiding spots, that's a must, no matter what you do some fish will get picked on no matter what you do. Feed lots of nori, keep them fat and healthy and they will survive. It is just they have to figure out the pecking order.

Fishboy-1970

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FullSizeR(3).jpg
FullSizeR(4).jpg
Here are all my 21 tangs. 44 fish total.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back