Jaymzha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly but important question...

Do you think fish cry?

During lights off, my black ocellaris was swimming erratically going crazy around the tank, turning pale, and eyes bulging. I never saw it look like this before.

I thought it was sick or maybe had ich and I got worried. But, I couldn't see any white spots or any other type of 'sick' signs.

But, then after 30 minutes of going crazy, it calmed down, swam to the back of the tank, and started 'sleeping' as it usually does during lights off.

All the paleness and bulgy eyes went away and it looked healthy again.

I'm thinking it could have maybe swam into a rock, bumped its head, and started 'crying' all around the tank until the pain went away. Or maybe it had diarrhea? Like if it had diarrhea and started turning pale and eyes bulging because it's trying to 'squeeze' one out?

Could it be that sometimes a fish showing 'sick' signs could instead just be that it got hurt or even sad from something that happened in the tank? Sounds ridiculous, but maybe? And maybe it's not that it needs to be treated with medication and quarantined for ich or a parasite? Maybe it just needs to 'cry' it out or 'yell' in pain until it feels better. I mean dogs and cats get sad and cry right? Maybe even for fish its not so 2 dimensional.

Wondering what you guys think.

20221104_094751.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my short browsing, I think (modern) humans are the only species known to cry (as in shed tears to communicate something)

chthao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course they do, thats how the water gets/stay salty

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back