Question for the canister "haters"

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the canister haters usually use the "nitrate factory" for their argument against them.
So how do you explain the numerous threads about high nitrates even though a sump is being used? Seems like the "nitrate factory" argument is quite flawed since sumps do not appear to be the "cure" for high nitrates.

wcroft987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is a nitrate factory if you don’t maintain the filters. Floss, socks, canisters, sumps, even a refugium, doesn’t matter. I think that the misconception is that canisters are not maintained/ cleaned as often as they should be which will create a lot of problems. With that said a sump with filter floss or socks that are not changed out frequently will do the same thing. So... if you use a canister great! Just make sure to clean and maintain it on a scheduled basis and make sure to test until you feel confident in that schedule.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a 'hater'.... but I did get rid of my canister years ago. No sump either. Nitrates low always. Live rock, a filter powerhead, a few other hydors for flow, UV runs a couple hours a day, HOB skimmer. 90 g system. It's what's worked for me for years so I don't mess with it lol....

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the canister haters usually use the "nitrate factory" for their argument against them.
So how do you explain the numerous threads about high nitrates even though a sump is being used? Seems like the "nitrate factory" argument is quite flawed since sumps do not appear to be the "cure" for high nitrates.

not sure where you are seeing all this hate for canisters? I have seen hardly any comments on them, there are a lot more comments on dirty sumps/socks etc

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of cannisters moved in next door. Running all the time, making noise and completely unfriendly .... hate them! Grass looks great though, must be all the nitrates.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its more of a convenience thing than actual hate. Swapping out filter socks takes only a couple minutes, where cleaning out the canister takes a bit more effort. I run a canister on my 55G and have no problems with it at all. I clean it on water change day and it takes me about half an hour from start to finish.

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure where you are seeing all this hate for canisters? I have seen hardly any comments on them, there are a lot more comments on dirty sumps/socks etc
Maybe not of late, because most people are running sumps, but do a search...maybe "hater" is an exaggeration, but still.

Thread 'Nitrate levels and reducer .' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nitrate-levels-and-reducer.817020/

"Get rid of your cannister, or clean the mechanical filter every few days. Its all that rotting gunk in the canister thats contributing to your nitrate source."

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey look that my post.

I stand by what I said. And others have explained it too, its the problem with mechanical filters, same with socks. Check out the BrS TV video on socks and you'll see why they say mechanical filters need to be cleaned out every 3 days to really have an impact on nitrate management.

There are other reasons nitrates are high - the source can be many places - anywhere waste collect is a nutrient battery that'll release nutrient back into the system even if you don't feed. Could be your sand, your rock, your dirty sump, ur dirty overflow.

Cannisters are harder to clean and maintain with that optimal frequency than socks.

Mechanical filters doesn't reduce no3, it just collects dissolved food particles in 1 spot. IMO that in itself nit always good either bc leaving it floating in your water column means that your filter eaters and corals has more chance to capture and eat them. This will also increase your biodiversity and microfauna that leads to a more stable tank.

For this reason I don't even use socks.

All that extra food flowing in the water has resulted in a very biomass in my tank. I feed heavy daily, dose amino daily, feed reef roids every other night, and my no3 is barely over 2ppm and po4 at 0.02ppm. Tank is very mature now at 4 years.

Its all about "high through put" and knowing how nutrients travel thru your system.

No cannister, no sock, skimmer is used mainly for air exchange for the co2 scrubber (i just let the waste flow back into the sump bc that's still nutrient that feeds my fuge, filterfeeders and corals.

If you want to reduce no3. Go with algaes, they are one of the real no3 eaters.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a hater. Canisters can be usually unhooked and put in a 5gal bucket and taken to a bathroom or sink room ect and cleaned. Its easier and more accesable is all in a hob filter. Say an ehiem liberty. A lazy reefer could make a detritus holding bank ect.
Hths or throws my view at it.
D

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your chance of nuisance algae outbreaks are much higher using a canister

Also canister don't provide much needed oxygenation that skimmers provide

Mother Nature provides foaming whitecap waves thruout the Oceans to provide a balance. Skimmers are as close to that as we can dream up

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to ditch a 1 y/o Fluval 406 I have on my 75g planted tank. Going with an in-tank Sicce and Matterhorn foam, copying my troublefree little aio reef tank. (Well, there's no mechanical filtration in the reef tank.)
The reason I dislike my canister is that the difficulty unhooking and cleaning them, as was mentioned, means it then doesn't get done enough.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not of late, because most people are running sumps, but do a search...maybe "hater" is an exaggeration, but still.

Thread 'Nitrate levels and reducer .' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nitrate-levels-and-reducer.817020/

"Get rid of your cannister, or clean the mechanical filter every few days. Its all that rotting gunk in the canister thats contributing to your nitrate source."

Not sure what the concern really is? I rarely see canisters mentioned as an issue....unless someone comes on asking why their nitrates are high. The most obvious answer is often canister filters not being cleaned as often as needed. And if someone has a sump with filter socks the answer commonly is clean those socks more frequently. However changing a sock takes me approximately 10 seconds to hit the feed button and switch out a clean sock. When i used a canister it was more like a 10-15 minute process and often a mess....so personally i am a hater of them....but used and maintained appropriately they do fine so if others use them then good for them.

So many threads lately about perceived slights lots of sensitivity going on i guess.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its the small surface area within them that promotes nitrates quicker than conventional filter/sump methods

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is a nitrate factory if you don’t maintain the filters. Floss, socks, canisters, sumps, even a refugium, doesn’t matter. I think that the misconception is that canisters are not maintained/ cleaned as often as they should be which will create a lot of problems. With that said a sump with filter floss or socks that are not changed out frequently will do the same thing. So... if you use a canister great! Just make sure to clean and maintain it on a scheduled basis and make sure to test until you feel confident in that schedule.

Spot on response!

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with a canister filter, in and of itself. The problem is always with the husbandry associated with them. Well, you do miss out on oxygenation, as others have said, and personally I couldn't stand to give up the extra space to do other things with my sump (such as putting in a refugium, running a media reactor, etc.). But you can have a thriving reef that's supported by a canister filter.

The difference is that canister filters are much less forgiving of lapses in husbandry, and seems to me like a higher chance of spills when cleaning the filter. So people who run canister filters tend to skip out on husbandry more, while having less leeway to accommodate those skips. This tends to not be a good combination that usually results in increased nuisance algae and detrimental levels of nitrates and phosphates.

But, again, there's nothing inherent to canister filters that mandates that this must be the case. Just that it tends to be the result of running a canister filter.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully folks recognize that the only difference between the rejected and reviled cannister and the lauded and loved reactor is that the former has its own integrated pump LOL. What you choose to put into it and how often you service it is up to you.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back