Question: Ph Probe calibration issue.

  • Thread starter Thread starter JHSteepat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JHSteepat

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2023
Messages
337
Reaction score
211
Location
Pittsburgh
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH probe won't hold calibration.

I have Pinpoint Probe on a hydros system. I calibrate my probe using the Pinpoint packs (pH 7/10), or some Amazon-bought calibration fluid, and get the same results. Same thing happened when I replaced to probe with a new one.

When I calibrate, my pH is between 8 and 8.1, with ~0.1 daily swings. The sensor is great for me to visualize the swings. However, over a number of weeks, the pH can be seen to gradually increase (according to the readout) to between 8.5 and 8.7, at which point I re-calibrate, and it returns to 8.0-8.1.

Is this normal? Do I need to use a different brand probe? I can't see relying on this to control anything in the tank such as a Ca reactor.
 
Where do you have your probe placed?

Be sure it isn't collecting microbubbles or algae/schmutz
 
In sump. Maybe I’ll move it to a different place. It may be a little close to a heater and skimmer.
 
As stated, try a different location...you might be getting electrical interference. The other thought is to clean the probe. Soak in vinegar or citric acid overnight and then rinse and re-calibrate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new