Question with zoas.

StevenH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm moving some rockwork around in my aquarium a few minutes ago, and totally forgot there were some small zoas on the bottom side of the rockwork. as I was moving it I noticed the zoas and instantly it shot out some red stuff and closed up tightly. I think I may of bumped it a few times and maybe stressed it out, and I'm not sure if it released some of its toxins. I run two HOB filters, a aquaclear 70, and a corallife 30 w/ protein skimmer on my 50 cube. The aquaclear has a huge bag of carbon in it. My main question I guess is, is there anything I should be worried about? I'm getting ready to do a saltwater change here once my salt has full dissolved, and I'm not sure if I should wait a day or if I'm in any danger here from the toxins. I've washed my hands, but I am a contract worker, so I have a few nicks on my fingers from work.

Basicially are there any real dangers and what should I do from this point? Should I continue and do my water change or give it a rest for the night, and as far as the toxins go, should I know of any clear signs that I may need to seek medical attention?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Symptoms of palytoxin poisoning include bitter/metallic taste, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, mild to acute lethargy, tingling, slow heart rate, kidney failure, impairment of sensation, muscle spasms, tremor myalgia, cyanosis, and respiratory distress. Best practice when handling zoas is to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) this includes rubber gloves, face mask/respiratory mask, goggles so no water squirts in your eyes, and some sort of rubber smock.
I don't know for certian that the red stuff your zoa expelled is palytoxin or not. Hopefully another user with more experience in this area will chime in. But wanted to welcome you to R2R
original.gif
#WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
StevenH

StevenH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Symptoms of palytoxin poisoning include bitter/metallic taste, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, mild to acute lethargy, tingling, slow heart rate, kidney failure, impairment of sensation, muscle spasms, tremor myalgia, cyanosis, and respiratory distress. Best practice when handling zoas is to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) this includes rubber gloves, face mask/respiratory mask, goggles so no water squirts in your eyes, and some sort of rubber smock.
I don't know for certian that the red stuff your zoa expelled is palytoxin or not. Hopefully another user with more experience in this area will chime in. But wanted to welcome you to R2R
original.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Thank you for the welcome. Normally if the zoa was outside of the tank I would indeed wear PPE, but as this was in the water, and I didn't actually touch any part of the zoas with my hand I figured it would be okay. Honestly just wondering if a water change would be the best thing to do at the moment, I'm a week late on my water changes due to me being out of town and my wife not being comfortable making saltwater. Just not trying to harm myself or my family at the moment.

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of Zoas discharging anything like that. Following along in case I learn something new.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the welcome. Normally if the zoa was outside of the tank I would indeed wear PPE, but as this was in the water, and I didn't actually touch any part of the zoas with my hand I figured it would be okay. Honestly just wondering if a water change would be the best thing to do at the moment, I'm a week late on my water changes due to me being out of town and my wife not being comfortable making saltwater. Just not trying to harm myself or my family at the moment.
Unfortunately I cannot say with 100% certainty

OP
OP
StevenH

StevenH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, since this happened my skimmer has been going crazy. Micro bubbles everywhere.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back