Questionable Seals

scubadave33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the community and I just inherited a 90g reef tank setup (lights, sump, drilled tank, ATO reservoir and stand) from a good friend of mine. LONG story short, my friend decided the seals on his tank were questionable so he purchased a new tank and gave me most of his old setup. The corraline algae appeared to be growing into/under the seals (pictures). He did purchase the tank brand new about 3 or 4 years ago. Tank is dated October 2019.

Currently, the tank is empty and in need of a good cleaning as it will not be setup until I get a bigger house (hopefully in the next couple of months). So I have time to assess the situation without worrying about fish, corals, etc. I found some similar posts but wanted to go ahead and dive in with my first post and see if anyone could give some guidance on whether or not he seals are going to be a big problem down the road or if resealing would be the best option. The 'nuclear' option would be buying a new tank.

Two of the four pictures are when the tank was setup and running and the others have arrows pointing out what I'm asking about specifically.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated!

IMG_20240107_211027.jpg IMG_20240107_211025.jpg 20240107_211248.jpg 20240107_211120.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks ok to me, no serious bubbles going on. I don’t know that coralline damages silicone, others may have experience

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks fine to me. That coralline only appears to be growing where the silicone was nicked from cleaning. I wouldn't worry too much.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut out the old silicon and then install a fresh bead through out the tank. I know it sounds like a daunting task, but if you are going to do it, do it right.

I've resealed dozens of tanks. In you case, there is no need to disassemble and reassemble the tank. Just cut the existing silicon down to the glass, clean with white vinegar and reseal.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back