Questions About Adding an Overflow and Returns to Tank

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I haven't had a reef tank in many years, I want to get back into the hobby, and I'm going back and forth over what tank I want to get started with. I have an IM Nuvo Black 40 gallon tank I am strongly considering using. This is not an AIO tank, it's a regular rimless, which has since been discontinued. I purchased it in like 2018, I think, and it's never seen a drop of water. I actually just took it out of the shipping box today lol!

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/innovative-marine-nuvo-black-40-aquarium-local-special.html

Anyway, my question is that this tank is 24" long. I have a Synergy Shadow overflow I'd like to use on this tank and I'd like to place it in the middle of the back glass, with a return line on each side for dual returns. Does anyone see a problem with doing this? Is there enough room for me to safely drill these holes and have it setup the way I'm describing? The Synergy overflow is 16" long.

Also, could someone suggest return hardware I could use for this setup? I know nothing about the returns. I found these Loc-Line male NPT connectors at BRS. Are these basically like a bulkhead? Do I just drill a hole, attach these connectors, and then attach my PVC to the back of the connector and Loc-Line inside the tank? Is that how these work?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/loc-line-male-npt-connector.html

Thanks for the help!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using (threaded) and those very LOC-Line NPT couplers with bulkheads.

This is the holes before installing stuff:

And with the bulkheads installed:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...g-long-mini-build.534114/page-7#post-11042858

The back side is a 90 degree threaded PVC hose barb fitting. If I were to do it again, I'd actually skip the hose barbs and use a 1/2 push-to-connect fitting and some nylon tube (flexible enough to go places, rigid enough to not kink).

Last edited:

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want a bulkhead for each hole you drill. Decide what size loc line you want to use and drill your hole to match the bulkhead the loc line requires. Get threaded bulkheads to attach your return lines to inside the tank. The overflow should have instructions as to what size holes to drill as well as a template i assume for alignment. Those npt adapters you posted will thread into the bulkhead and then you add additional segments of loc line with a nozzle. The backside of the tank you can use normal pvc plumbing to barb fittings and use regular hose to attach it all.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies!

Clearly, I don't get how the returns are plumbed into the tank. Could someone please link to whatever kind of bulkhead I need to add returns to my tank? I forget exactly what size return line I'll have, but I have a Reef Octopus Varios-2 return pump I'm planning on using (I'd like two return pumps, but I don't know if my sump will fit two pumps).

Thanks again for the help!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a single return pump and just T it off the pump to each return line
I think that's what I'll have to do with my sump, and I think I'll just get an extra Varios-2 pump to have as a backup in case the first one fails.

But can someone help me understand how to add the return nozzles to my tank?

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I have seen that video a dozen times, and completely forgot those guys covered plumbing lol! But I just skimmed through it again, and from what I saw they really only touch on the return lines at the very end of the video. From what it looked like, there would be a hole in the tank, obviously, and then an appropriate bulkhead and then the Loc-Line connector fits into the bulkhead? Am I getting closer?

Thanks for your help!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I have seen that video a dozen times, and completely forgot those guys covered plumbing lol! But I just skimmed through it again, and from what I saw they really only touch on the return lines at the very end of the video. From what it looked like, there would be a hole in the tank, obviously, and then an appropriate bulkhead and then the Loc-Line connector fits into the bulkhead? Am I getting closer?

Thanks for your help!

Absolutely! How you choose to plumb the back of the tank is up to you!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup!

Or run-barbless and use push to connect tubing

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wen it comes time to choose bulkheads for the returns, go with bulkhead with a slip fitting on the wet side, as opposed to threaded. Then you can use our Multidapter to add a Loc-Line compatible connector to the bulkheads. The multi adapter is easier to work with and has a much more low profile fit than the threaded NPT fitting.

A Multidapter fits right into a bulkhead or any pipe socket like elbows and bushings
1695861054848.png

These fitting also come in all of our pre-configured flow kits, and since you building a new tank - that's a great time to consider adding in the Random Flow Generator Nozzle to you returns

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back