Questions about Apex/Trident usage

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello-

I do not post much but need some help to straighten out things I could probably spend several hours researching.

I was gifted a Neptune Trident for Christmas and debating whether or not I should return it.

Tank details-
40B with 40B sump
Reefkeeper lite with one bar (4 outlets)
2 heaters
2 BRS two part dosers for soda ash and calcium
Refugium light (not connected to RKL)
RB Photon v2+ (not connected to RKL)
RB strip light (not connected to RKL)
MP40 (not connected to RKL)
RB ATO

I have been thinking about what to do with the RKL as it is old and I believe the company no longer exists? So I have been thinking about getting an Apex to replace it.

The Trident would be useful for me as I am lazy with manual testing.

Questions-
1. What do I need to purchase to make the Trident usable? Just the ApexEL? Or do I need the ~$800 full one?
2. Do I need a laptop/tablet to make full use of the Apex? I just have a desktop pc currently.
3. Will I still be able to use the BRS dosers I currently have?
4. It appears with the Apex I will be able to consolidate a couple strips, although I am worried about putting everything on a single point of failure, the Apex. Is that a concern?

I like simplicity. The RKL is still doing its job but I know eventually I will need to upgrade/update the system. Should I do that now or just keep going until it dies?

I could return it and just get another mp40 or mp10... That is crossing my mind now.

My tank is mixed, but I do have a couple acros and 30+ bta's. My tank needs a size upgrade but holding out until I have space for a bigger one. I had originally planned, at that point, I would purchase a new controller and everything.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your desktop is fine to use. And the EL is all you need.

With that said, if you currently do not own an apex I would pony up for the full. You never know how your going to use it, until you start using it and realize all the things it can do.

Your BRS dosers are fine, but will not integrate into the trident for controlled dosing. All you will use the trident for is testing.

Yes the apex comes with an energy bar, but I still keep main life support(return pump) on it's own power strip just incase this sort of thing happens. Keep in mind though, that if it's not plugged into the EB8 you will not be able to control it with the apex.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great gift!

Apex EL will do it. No need for the Full version unles you wanted it.

No need for a tablet. A PC or Phone will work just fine for accessing Fusion.

Yes the BRS doser s will work for you. Just need to be plugged into one of the 8 controllable outlets.

Splitting a couple of things off the apex isn’t a bad idea at all to keep all your eggs from one basket so to speak.

OP
OP
L

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your desktop is fine to use. And the EL is all you need.

Ok. I can access it on my desktop via wifi?

Your BRS dosers are fine, but will not integrate into the trident for controlled dosing. All you will use the trident for is testing.

So I can just set them up to dose like they are now with the RKL, then make my own adjustments through the software based on the Trident's results?

If I did want to allow it to controlled dose based on testing results, I would need the dual head pump "dos"?

Like both of you mention, I would leave my pumps off the Apex.
Possibly just leave the RKL on, limited to testing temperature on its own as well.

I guess I would mainly use it for temperature control of the heaters, dosing, controlling refugium light, and data logging water parameters.
With the RKL just as a visual temp aid. ATO by itself and pumps by themselves.

Anything else it could or I would want it to do?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok lets see......

Yes you can access fusion through your desktop. You apex will connect to your home wifi, then you simply access fusion through a webpage. When you hook up the apex it will give you a token you input into the fusion webpage and it knows when you login what apex your using. Fusion is simply a webpage that outputs the reading from your apex, and how you program the apex.

For your BRS dosers, I used to use them and used this page to determin what the coding should be for the dosers.
https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php
If you want to control dosing based off the trident results, yes you most certainly would need the DOS.

You have it figured out pretty much(control of lights, control of refuge lights, etc, etc), but with your ATO, I have mine hooked into the EB8 so when I go into "feedC"(which is my maintenance mode) I shut everything off and the ATO won't keep trying to fill when I removing water.

The apex can do all sorts of things. For instance I have the Break Out Box(BOB) with some magnetic switches that turn my cabinet lights on when I open the doors. You have feed modes that can be programmed to any time frame you wish to turn things off or on based on the feed mode you choose. Like my ATO, I also turn off my skimmer, heaters, carbon reactor, etc during my maintenance mode. I also have my Mp's on the apex and control them through it instead of each individual controller.

Like I said, you won't know how your going to use it, until you have it and realize everything it can do.

While certainly not a necessity, it will make your "tank time" less and less of a hassle where you can enjoy the tank much more instead of looking at it thinking you need another WC, or cleaning, or have to figure out what plug to unplug to shut a certain piece of equipment.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back