Questions about Nephthea/Kenya Tree corals

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw a coral at my LFS in a display tank that I thought was cool. It was neon green and looked like a tree. I thought it was a Kenya Tree coral but wasn't sure.

A few google searches made me think that the coral was called a Nephthea coral, but a website or two said Nephthea corals were also known as Kenya Tree corals. To me they look about the same.

So now I'm wondering two things:
1. Are Nephthea corals the same thing as Kenya Tree corals?
2. Are Nephthea and/or Kenya Tree corals compatible with hard corals, mainly wondering about SPS?

In my upcoming reef tank I would like to get some of this type of coral but I don't know whether it will be a good idea or not -- one website said Kenya Tree corals (again, is it the same thing as Nephthea?) can spread quickly like Xenia, and another said that it can be disturbed by the presence of hard corals or something?

Any answers to my 2 questions above, and anything else that might be of interest/importance, is appreciated. Thanks

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, two Different corals. I do keep nepthea and sps though. I just gave the nepthea most of its own rock and trim it down as necessary. Also, don't get a Kenya unless you just like finding pieces of coral whwre they don't belong. It'll just keep fragging itself over and over.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
860ee526375e490df241266ef9eba3ca.jpg

Kenya tree on left, can see multiple stalks.
Green nepthea on right, all off one large base stalk.
As mentioned the Kenya will drop off pieces and reproduce, thee nepthea doesn't ime
Not the best pic, my phone don't like leds

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me when I say this.. The kenya tree is a perfect coral to begin with but once you move out of the beginner stage into the more expensive coral stage you'll find yourself wanting to burn down kenya trees.... at least this is my opinion haha

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me when I say this.. The kenya tree is a perfect coral to begin with but once you move out of the beginner stage into the more expensive coral stage you'll find yourself wanting to burn down kenya trees.... at least this is my opinion haha

Burn them all...I'm still cleaning up after the Kenya tree. Haven't kept one for over a year.

OP
OP

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, looks like I'm not getting a Kenya Tree haha. The neon green Nephthea won't do that right? I won't have to worry about it spreading everywhere?

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, looks like I'm not getting a Kenya Tree haha. The neon green Nephthea won't do that right? I won't have to worry about it spreading everywhere?

if you're around the upstate NY area I'd just give you a kenya frag if you really wanted one haha

I found some of my leather frags from Petco actually... sometimes they have sales and you can find leathers for $13. Which for the rate they grow that's a decent deal in my book

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nepthea will not spread everywhere. It'll grow, but you can just trim it with scissors and keep it in control.
When I trim it with scissors can I just place it on my rock or should I glue it in place I love this coral for now :0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back