Questions about prorocentrum

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've posted multiple threads of my battle with prorocentrum dinoflagellates, and I believe I am in the later stages of the outbreak (knock on wood). Anyways I did end up removing the sand, and I don't regret it because I like the way bare bottoms look. Now I know that prorocentrum migrate down to the sand at night, and with the removal of sand, their main concentration is on the glass, and slight amounts on the rocks. Because of this, my question is; will a blackout and UV for 3 days be a final nail in the coffin as the dinos have no sand to migrate to? Also I have a fair amount of diatoms on the rocks so silicate dosing is working. My next question is about GHA. Maybe 4/15 of my green hair algae is being colonized by dinos, and i'm wondering if I should start adding a clean up crew like some snails or an emerald crab as well as manual removal, because the GHA is smothering corals, as well as housing dinos. I am also running carbon, so toxins for the inverts might not be a huge deal, but I don't want to take chances either. The vast bulk of the dinos were on the now removed sand so i doubt toxins are in nearly as high concentrations. I also have plenty of diatoms and film algae as well as GHA for inverts to eat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. #reefsquad

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and i'm wondering if I should start adding a clean up crew like some snails or an emerald crab as well as manual removal, because the GHA is smothering corals, as well as housing dinos. I am also running carbon, so toxins for the inverts might not be a huge deal, but I don't want to take chances either.
It's my opinion that most of the toxic effects from the dinos are through ingestion by grazers. I don't think clean up crew that eats dino covered algae will survive, but you could add some in small amounts and watch.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my opinion that most of the toxic effects from the dinos are through ingestion by grazers. I don't think clean up crew that eats dino covered algae will survive, but you could add some in small amounts and watch.

Sounds good. I’ll add maybe two snails, as the vast majority of the algae is untouched. What do you think about the blackout?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I’ll add maybe two snails, as the vast majority of the algae is untouched. What do you think about the blackout?
short blackout and UV is a good combo. Most cells that can swim, will, and they'll meet UV.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back