Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't I use that chemical stuff to remove those chemicals or no?
I have never been a fan of using chemicals. For nutrient reduction and to increase minor and trace element levels I have always relied on water changes

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the questions your asking I'd suggest pumping the brakes and read the links provided. We all want you to succeed but you need to grasp what it takes to take care of a saltwater tank and to provide the proper care for the animal you want. You can't rush this, not the tank, not the cycle, not any of it. There is no set time for a cycle. You've been given great advice, I hope you heed it so we can can see a flourishing tank with a nice eel.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the questions your asking I'd suggest pumping the brakes and read the links provided. We all want you to succeed but you need to grasp what it takes to take care of a saltwater tank and to provide the proper care for the animal you want. You can't rush this, not the tank, not the cycle, not any of it. There is no set time for a cycle. You've been given great advice, I hope you heed it so we can can see a flourishing tank with a nice eel.

Okay so my idea is this start the cycle As Soon As Possible and check on the water levels daily when I can. I will use the links as a guide and I will give my animals the best care

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said; stop everything until you can answer all the questions you have. You can always buy an eel, but you can't always keep it healthy.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well said; stop everything until you can answer all the questions you have. You can always buy an eel, but you can't always keep it healthy.
this times 1000

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is going to turn brown with diatoms then red with slime algae (mostly cyano). Then get ready for the hair algae. You have snails that are still alive. Your sump has chaeto growing so your algae has stopped growing out of control. You dont have to scrub the glass everyday to see inside and your rocks dont need anymore haircuts. Now 6 months have passed, your tank is looking good. You have snails that are still alive. You are doing weekly water changes that dont take up all your party time. You stopped spilling water all over the floor. Your mom actually likes the tank now and it does not smell anymore. Now its time for livestock. Merry Xmas

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is going to turn brown with diatoms then red with slime algae (mostly cyano). Then get ready for the hair algae. You have snails that are still alive. Your sump has chaeto growing so your algae has stopped growing out of control. You dont have to scrub the glass everyday to see inside and your rocks dont need anymore haircuts. Now 6 months have passed, your tank is looking good. You have snails that are still alive. You are doing weekly water changes that dont take up all your party time. You stopped spilling water all over the floor. Your mom actually likes the tank now and it does not smell anymore. Now its time for livestock. Merry Xmas

My plan is too get the tank as soon as possible and check on the water levels daily for about two months. I will be making sure everything is in good condition before I put my eel and lawnmower blennies in. I think 6 months is way too long I've heard to wait about 2-4 months before adding specimens.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is too get the tank as soon as possible and check on the water levels daily for about two months. I will be making sure everything is in good condition before I put my eel and lawnmower blennies in. I think 6 months is way too long I've heard to wait about 2-4 months before adding specimens.
Again, it's not a time frame thing, it's a nutrient level thing. You do not, DO NOT, add anything to the tank until you are able to add 2PPM ammonia to the tank, and after 24 hours test 0 Ammonia. 0 Nitrites and more than 5 Nitrates

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, it's not a time frame thing, it's a nutrient level thing. You do not, DO NOT, add anything to the tank until you are able to add 2PPM ammonia to the tank, and after 24 hours test 0 Ammonia. 0 Nitrites and more than 5 Nitrates

Okay I'm reading the article. I don't know what a sump is

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More of a reason why you should not rush this and buying livestock shouldn't even be on your list. Research and enjoy the build.

Okay so I'm going to do all this stuff and then get lawnmower blennies and my juvenile snowflake eel. Do I need a sump and a filter or is the filter part of the sump?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I'm going to do all this stuff and then get lawnmower blennies and my juvenile snowflake eel. Do I need a sump and a filter or is the filter part of the sump?
read the link I posted above: SUMP

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to be rude but your responses are erratic and not reassuring. Good luck.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to be rude but your responses are erratic and not reassuring. Good luck.

Sorry it's just I'm stressed and panicking and nervous and trying to do everything right and plus I'm giving quick responses so I can go back to reading the articles

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it's just I'm stressed and panicking and nervous and trying to do everything right and plus I'm giving quick responses so I can go back to reading the articles
Please remember, you don't have to do anything immediately. Even if you have said you would purchase your eel from a LFS, I imagine you have the right to cancel the order or change the timeline - happens all of the time and don't let some self-imposed "pressure" ruin your first salt water experience.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please remember, you don't have to do anything immediately. Even if you have said you would purchase your eel from a LFS, I imagine you have the right to cancel the order or change the timeline - happens all of the time and don't let some self-imposed "pressure" ruin your first salt water experience.

Are lawn mower blennies good saltwater fish?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back