Questions about tanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've given you all the tools and information you need. What you do with it from here is up to you.
ezgif-3-b51c4ae69a.gif

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are lawn mower blennies good saltwater fish?
Im bait. No they are not good first fish. They do live in salt water. They are pretty shy. Mine comes out to eat early AM and late PM. She only eats algae and only certain types.
Good night

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im bait. No they are not good first fish. They do live in salt water. They are pretty shy. Mine comes out to eat early AM and late PM. She only eats algae and only certain types.
Good night

What fish do you recommend?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually thought it over and decided to do freshwater. I will get a good filter and water heater but imo freshwater is much easier than salt
Good to hear. Agreed freshwater is much easier and more forgiving.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. Agreed freshwater is much easier and more forgiving.

I will be getting a 40 gallon tank with a betta, kuhila loaches, snails, and some other fish. I don't know what to name the tank something cool like "The Dragons Cove" or whatever

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never kept an eel, but the one piece of advice I can give you is make sure you seal that tank up. From my understanding eels are escape artists and will find any way they can to get out.

+100 to this. I had a snowflake in a QT tank with a full hood that I taped down, and I taped the holes in the back where the cords/airlines came out as well as taping the opening around the HOB filter and somehow he still found his way out and died. Even after he was out I couldn't tell you where he escaped from, none of the tape was pulled up, I didn't see any sort of dried water trail from the feeding hatch or anything. Here's the tank and the tape job for reference.
IMG_4419.JPG

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+100 to this. I had a snowflake in a QT tank with a full hood that I taped down, and I taped the holes in the back where the cords/airlines came out as well as taping the opening around the HOB filter and somehow he still found his way out and died. Even after he was out I couldn't tell you where he escaped from, none of the tape was pulled up, I didn't see any sort of dried water trail from the feeding hatch or anything. Here's the tank and the tape job for reference.
IMG_4419.JPG

I've actually decided on a freshwater tank with some kuhila loaches they kind of look like eels

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice:

1) understand the nitrogen cycle.
2) lookup new tank syndrome so you know what to expect.
3) Many mistakes are made by overreacting to perfectly normal algae and bacterial blooms - make changes slowly, use nitrifying bacteria, stay away from anti-algae chemicals and water clarifiers when possible (in my opinion, these are often unnecessary and extremely harmful if improperly used)
4) know that this is an ecosystem - the tiny bacteria in the water, rocks and sand are all just as alive as the eel! Interrupting the system is like surgery - smaller superficial surgeries are way easier and less risky than triple bypass heart surgery (in other words, keep up with the regular maintainence so you never need to do something drastic, like a 50% water change or something)
5) have fun!!!! Snowflakes are full of personality and spunk.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back