Questions from a Wanna-Be

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting in to breeding clownfish, but I want to hear from some hobbyist and professional breeders.

1. What do you like about breeding? What don't you like about breeding?

2. Have you noticed any adverse side effects of inbreeding?

3. Are there benefits to using Wild-Caught fish broodstock?

4. What do you do when you go on vacation/are out of town?

OP
OP
DirectCherry

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

Also wondering how you sell your inventory of fish? It seems like most fish produce way more offspring than can be sold.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

Also wondering how you sell your inventory of fish? It seems like most fish produce way more offspring than can be sold.
I've only bred Banggai's so far so I was only dealing with ~25 or so at a time but I was usually able to get them all sold off via local forums. I've had to take some to LFS before though, I just call ahead or talk to them in person before bringing in the fish. Usually get like $5 each. You might consider calling your LFS's and asking if they would be open to purchasing any captive bred fish and if so what kinds would they like to have.

Seeing the whole process and raising up the tiny fish is a very rewarding experience and even if you don't do it long term everyone should try it once IMO. I love always having a tank full of baby Banggais next to my desk. I like that every fish I raise and sell is one less taken from the ocean. What I don't like, being handcuffed to my tanks. I can't spend the night anywhere, I can't go out of town etc. I need to be here every morning and night at minimum to keep up with the live foods, and when I have a fresh fry I need to be here to feed every few hours for the first 5 days or so.

I cant' really speak to that from first hand experience as I've never bred any of my F1's, just the original wild caught pair. But no doubt if you look at dog breeding there are many adverse side effects of inbreeding.

Clean genetics.

I don't.

OP
OP
DirectCherry

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@35ppt Thank you for your response. There must not be a lot of breeders on R2R. The breeding forum is dead. I have yet to find a good breeding forum that is still active.

Being handcuffed to my tanks could definitely get old over time, however, I think it should be easy enough to have someone feed the post-larval fish and the broodstock if I ever leave. I've heard that after metamorphisis the fish are pretty hardy and can survive on one or two feedings a day. I'd also need to make sure that my setup is well done so the nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia don't need super close watching. I imagine it is still possible to leave for vacation if you pay a family friend to come over once a day and feed them, assuming you planned your trip and don't have any larvae swimming around. What do you think?

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@35ppt Thank you for your response. There must not be a lot of breeders on R2R. The breeding forum is dead. I have yet to find a good breeding forum that is still active.

Being handcuffed to my tanks could definitely get old over time, however, I think it should be easy enough to have someone feed the post-larval fish and the broodstock if I ever leave. I've heard that after metamorphisis the fish are pretty hardy and can survive on one or two feedings a day. I'd also need to make sure that my setup is well done so the nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia don't need super close watching. I imagine it is still possible to leave for vacation if you pay a family friend to come over once a day and feed them, assuming you planned your trip and don't have any larvae swimming around. What do you think?
Yeah keeping a reef tank is hard enough for most people I think, then adding breeding on top of that. lol Lots of work! Yeah, I mean, if you have someone you can trust to take care it's totally doable. It's mainly the feeding and caring for the food cultures, once the setup is cycled nitrite/ammonia should be of no concern. I don't have anyone that I can trust with it so I just accept I'm not going anywhere. lol

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah keeping a reef tank is hard enough for most people I think, then adding breeding on top of that. lol Lots of work! Yeah, I mean, if you have someone you can trust to take care it's totally doable. It's mainly the feeding and caring for the food cultures, once the setup is cycled nitrite/ammonia should be of no concern. I don't have anyone that I can trust with it so I just accept I'm not going anywhere. lol
Well, now would be the time I suppose.

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me, breeding was all about exploring the adventure of propagating life through mimicking the natural processes of fish in the wild. This allows me to enjoy a deeper connection to the fish that just seem like another fish from the store otherwise.

The learning curve can be steep when first diving in without the prior knowledge and/or experience of propagating livestock. This learning curve paired with the time/cost investment is likely why this endeavor is a one-of type of experience for many.

I have not noticed it myself but I also have never taken my broodstock beyond f1.

Yes. genetic diversity and strong foundational traits to name a couple. I have also explored blending genetic diversity into my working broodstock over time.

I haven't yet taken a long term vacation since diving back into this hobby and I worry it's not super possible. Much of what I work with can be put into "vacation mode" for lack of a better way to put it if I do need to be gone say 1-2 weeks. Plankton cultures can be stored and revived from small amounts stored. Fish can be "turned off" while I'm away to eliminate egg laying. Juveniles in growout have automatic feeders and so on and so fourth.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back