Questions from Beginner Saltwater Hobbyist- Fish Only Tank- New to R2R

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions at the bottom, here are some tank stats:
(If anything is wrong here don't crucify us, we are new and have done the best research we can)

So we've had our tank since mid-February:
32.5 Gallon tank​
Canister filter good for up to 75 gallons​
20ish pounds of liverock​

Fish- in order they were added:
  • First
    • Onyx Clown
    • Picasso Clown
  • Second
    • Long Nose Hawkfish
    • Watchman Goby
    • Springer Damsel
  • Third
    • Leopard Puffer(very tiny)
    • Royal Dottyback
Questions:
  1. We had 10 hermit crabs at the beginning but 4 have died(started after the second batch of fish). Can anyone tell me why this may be?
  2. MICRO BUBBLES EVERYWHERE. It looks almost like dust or snow in the tank. Any suggestions?
  3. What fish would you suggest adding? We're thinking a Tailspot Blenny, Pistol Shrimp, and maybe a Pajama Cardinal and that would be all we would add for the time being considering tank size. Any other suggestions?
  4. We feed mysis shrimp twice a day. Anything better you suggest? All of our fish eat it.
  5. How/when is the best time to add more liverock?
We will eventually go to a 75 gallon tank as well when the Cichlids we have are gone and will get a sump, protein skimmer, etc. for that tank.

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to R2R. You’ll find great people and advice here!

1) 10 crabs might be (I can’t be sure) too much for that tank. If you get some die off, remove the dead from the tank, and see if the remainders struggle to keep things clean. You might need a couple more periodically, but I wouldn’t try to maintain 10 or any other arbitrary number. They’re probably outcompeting Each other for resources until the tank is more mature.
2) What equipment are you running? Do you have an hob skimmer? Is your filter cannister drawing in air?
3) +1 to what Eleni said above. For me, you’ve already got a fully- (and perhaps over-) stocked tank.
4) Mysis is good, but I would mix in flakes or pellets periodically to round out their diet and provide further nutrition.
5) I think you could add live rock any time, as long as it’s truly live, and not been allowed to dry or transport a long distance(requiring perhaps some curing. There are great forums and threads here describing live/dry rock addition. I’m not savvy enough yet to link them however, my apologies.

HTH,
Jared

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jradishness Thank you for your input. We were not sure if adding live rock would make the tank cycle and upset the fish because everything is healthy and getting along currently. Also, We just have a canister filer from Fluval that is good for up to 75 gallon tank. The water is clean and water quality is good but the bubbles are driving me crazy. How would I know if my canister was drawing in air? Always used hang on tanks for my freshwater tank so canisters are new for me. We got 10 crabs because the people at the saltwater store we went to said it was a good number for our size tank and we were extremely novice lol I will post some pics of tank tonight after work

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Your bioload for your 32g is plenty and maybe a bit too much. Do not add more at this point. Wait until you get the larger system.
1. Probably either lack of food, bad acclimation or bad adjustment (meaning they were just not healthy).
2. Microbubbles are a pain, but you need to find the source. Re-assemble the canister filter (which by the way needs constant cleaning with a saltwater system and you may want to consider a sump or refugium instead at some point. Especially with the larger tank). If you can, set up a block from the canister filter if that is the culprit (i.e. sock over return nozzle)
3.none
4. Feed a good variety of foods, not just one. Try some flakes, pellets, other frozen options. Get some with spirulina added.
5. You can add live rock anytime without issue. Unless the rock is not fully cured!
Good luck.
Also, side note. Your system will be considered a FOWLR not FO. So a Fish Only with Liverock (although keeping inverts pushes that towards a reef). Just ot familiar yourself with terms. FO is Fish Only and means no live rock or inverts. At least this is what it was in the past. Could be different definitions now. Maybe we just should not define our tanks anymore. Call it what you want. :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d also agree with above in regards to livestock .
For the size you are either at your limit or possibly exceeding it .
The only true way to tell is testing nutrients .

Canister filters : they are known for harbouring nitrates if not throughly cleaned on a very regular basis .

What are you running for lights , and skimmer ?

And hermit crabs : they will compete for food and very destructive .
Provide plenty of empty shells for them to move into as they grow .
I’ve personally always hated adding them to a reef .

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rmckoy Just an LED light since no corals. I dont think we will add anymore fish. If not crabs, what do you suggest for a clean up crew? I do not believe we can have shrimp due to the puffer and hawkfish. According to my research they will eat them. Nutrients seem good so far

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what everyone said above except for the hermits. I have hermits. I have tons in my tank. As well as a large variety of snails, 2 emerald crabs and an urchin. Several shrimp as well. I love inverts. The important thing to remember is hermits need food and protection. If they think there is not enough of either of these they will kill the others. Make sure you always have extra shells in the tank so they don’t try to steal each others or go after the snails. You can buy empty shells on Amazon, or some LFS will give you some.

Second is food. By adding some variety to your food with flakes and pellets this will give your hermits more to eat. The goal is that they eat the algae first, but if you want to keep extra supplement with the fish food.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rmckoy Just an LED light since no corals. I dont think we will add anymore fish. If not crabs, what do you suggest for a clean up crew? I do not believe we can have shrimp due to the puffer and hawkfish. According to my research they will eat them. Nutrients seem good so far

With the puffer , you might have trouble adding any invert such as crabs , shrimp etc .
There are most likely many bristle worms in your system that are amazing clean up .
I have a brittle star , snails .
Some how ended up with tons of stomatella snails as well

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question now is, WHAT FILTER SOCK DO I GET?! I have a Fluval 307 and it is not a circle return. I have been looking and not sure at ALL which one to get!

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4tanks I do not have an air stone. Can you tell me what filter sock I need for my filter? I cant find one I think will fit. Thank you!
A sock is just a cure need to find why there is air and then your problem will be solved and if you put a sock over the return it will lessen the flow so you won't get as much surface agitation I'd try the slight rocking the canister or the primer if it's not that check your fittings air is getting in somewhere and unfortunately a sock just defuses the problem as it goes back in the tank its like putting a band aid on a broken Arm

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sock is just a cure need to find why there is air and then your problem will be solved and if you put a sock over the return it will lessen the flow so you won't get as much surface agitation I'd try the slight rocking the canister or the primer if it's not that check your fittings air is getting in somewhere and unfortunately a sock just defuses the problem as it goes back in the tank its like putting a band aid on a broken Arm
Another thought is are you using the surface skimmer attachment try blocking that off if you are

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jradishness @4tanks

IMG_1878.jpg IMG_1876.jpg IMG_1875.jpg IMG_1855.jpg IMG_1854.jpg IMG_1853.jpg IMG_1826.jpg IMG_1822.jpg IMG_1820.jpg IMG_1654.jpg IMG_1825.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back