Questions on skimmers

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I have zero idea how a skimmer works or if I even need a skimmer, I’m setting a 13.5 gallon tank (the evo) and I got this fluval skimmer with it(I don’t even know what it does) do I need to use it? What’s the purpose of a skimmer? I briefly tried to read on it and is it suppose to replace you doing water changes? I was intending to do water changes as that’s what I’m use to with freshwater but just curious. if the fluval skimmer is bad as ive briefly read it also can be what would be an alternative if a skimmer is necessary? Would I want to do both water changes and use the skimmer?

if anyone can help answer that would be wonderful!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you read a skimmer will replace WC's, but that is just plain untrue!

What skimmers does, is produce bubbles(foam) in which organics stick to the bubbles. The bubbles then rise up the neck of the skimmer, pop, and dispense the organics in the cup. Basically it collects waste before it breaks down. Ever see sea foam on the shore? Basically the same thing.

It is just another form of filtration. It also add oxygen to your water through the bubbles.

Are they needed, certainly not, are they helpful, sure are.

Not familiar with that model skimmer, but typically in nano tanks, the skimmers are too small to be effective, and usually just overflow, or do not skim very effectively.

Most nano owners just do large WC's to take care of excess nutrients and waste.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that small water changes will be your better option. Do weekly 10-15% water changes. I have two evos and love them. I do 3-4 gallons a week or more depending on how much extra water I made up for the water change on my 120 gallon tank. Usually I fill a brute a couple of days before water change day, get temp and salinity right, then on the day of the water change I also test parameters to see how much I need to change out.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that small water changes will be your better option. Do weekly 10-15% water changes. I have two evos and love them. I do 3-4 gallons a week or more depending on how much extra water I made up for the water change on my 120 gallon tank. Usually I fill a brute a couple of days before water change day, get temp and salinity right, then on the day of the water change I also test parameters to see how much I need to change out.
Sorry just read your Sig line, and couldn't help but wonder if you touched my wifes car? 2021 subaru legacy limited built in Indiana.

It's amazing all the people and what they do on these boards.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a PS/2 skimmer in mine, but it stopped working after about a year, and I couldn't get it to produce any real skimmate in the end. It really was just an average performer, and wasn't terribly easy to use. I replaced it with an Icecap K1 Nano skimmer, which is now doing a great job. It's not an option for everyone, though, as it (leans) somewhat awkwardly in chamber one, and has an incredibly large profile for the tank.

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the fluval skimmer thats dedicated for the evo 13.5. It worked good enough for me, but had to get rid of it cause i plugged the drain hole on the bottom and it was messing up the circulation in the chambers. REASON why i plugged the hole in the first place was because a tiny tailspot blenny got stuck in the hole and died. QQ
bought another right away after plugging.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple explanation I like to use for non-reefers or beginners is that a skimmer is a "fish poop extractor". There is a lot more to it than that, but it's a good metaphor to understand the function.

The bubbles trap dissolved organics like fish poo, decaying uneaten food, etc and send them into the skimmer cup so they can be removed.

This reduces but does not eliminate the need for things like water changes because it prevents those dissolved organics from turning into nitrates and phosphates that you would otherwise only remove with water changes.

Definitely use it if you got it. Skimmers are great.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back