quick emergency build and now what?

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the scoop. Added a royal gramma to a 9 month old 45gal tank thinking his semi aggressive behavior and an acclimation box would be enough for a late introduction to the party (other fish were added 2-3 months ago. the RG was supposed to be added with them but it just didn't work out with sourcing him and QT)

RG was in an acclimation box for a few days every thing seemed within the norm of an acclimation box and curious tank mates. When I let him out into the DT the Starry Blenny went after him immediately and mercilessly. The poor RG couldn't even hide in the rock work. I always had a hunch the starry blenny was tank boss but he never displayed anything like this. Any way I mange to capture the blenny and build an emergency home for him within hours. It's times like this i really miss having a sump. Thought I'd share this quick emergency build with mostly supplies from petco.

Also debating on what to do moving forward and would love this great forums' input. Keep the blenny in new home for a week and reintroduce him to main display(if eating properly and this is even sustainable for a week)? Is that enough time to curb his aggression? Will it come back after he settles into the display once again? DT fish are percula clowns pair, banggai cardinal, firefish, RG and YWMG.

10gal tank
Fluval HOB filter
two 5gal heaters
caribsea dry sand
some live rock from my main display
a little added bacteria to help out
tuze 6055 i had in storage (its hard to gauge but it almost seems like too much even on its lowest settings. manufactures rates it as low as for a 10gal but will see)

IMG-7338.jpg IMG-7319.jpg IMG-7320.jpg IMG-7322.jpg IMG-7323.jpg IMG-7324.jpg IMG-7325.jpg IMG-7336.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many times I've tried giving aggressive fish a "time out" and so many times I've failed (sigh). It is definitely a better option than giving the RG a time out, but ultimately, it may not work. I've heard all sorts of tricks when it comes time to put the aggressor back into the DT: rearranging the rockwork, adding it at night, or while you are feeding, taping a mirror to the outside of the tank to try and distract the blenny, even negative reinforcement for the blenny (spanking it if you will). I think the one thing in your favor is that these two species are not fundamentally antagonistic (like two damsels or two dottybacks would be).

I would give the blenny at least two weeks, better yet a month out of the tank to allow the RG to settle in well. Hopefully, not too settled in that the roles get reversed (grin).

Jay

p.s. - be sure to cover the 10 gal so the blenny doesn't jump out.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work perfectly fine for a temporary home for the blenny. You shouldn't see a cycle with the used rock and sand.

Tough decision about what to do moving forward. I would give the gramma a couple weeks head start. Sort of a high risk though.

Beware that blennies can be jumpers

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys! I’m in the middle of making a top as we speak haha if the blenny is eating and doing fine in the temporary home and the RG is looks comfortable in the DT I won’t rush anything. I’ll give it a month before reintroducing the blenny. Or maybe this is my excuse for getting that WB 220gal I’ve been eyeing ;) haha I’ll keep y’all updated. Thanks again!

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many times I've tried giving aggressive fish a "time out" and so many times I've failed (sigh). It is definitely a better option than giving the RG a time out, but ultimately, it may not work. I've heard all sorts of tricks when it comes time to put the aggressor back into the DT: rearranging the rockwork, adding it at night, or while you are feeding, taping a mirror to the outside of the tank to try and distract the blenny, even negative reinforcement for the blenny (spanking it if you will). I think the one thing in your favor is that these two species are not fundamentally antagonistic (like two damsels or two dottybacks would be).

I would give the blenny at least two weeks, better yet a month out of the tank to allow the RG to settle in well. Hopefully, not too settled in that the roles get reversed (grin).

Jay

p.s. - be sure to cover the 10 gal so the blenny doesn't jump out.

Now I can sleep at night

1A898F74-5261-4A69-BFF2-8118F77642F5.jpeg 3FADEFBB-4F47-42B3-B933-97A55E154E7A.jpeg 4F50A0CE-BB66-4D1A-BF5F-4E1AD7E11A91.jpeg FB3C96D5-8FC8-4E29-81A2-377ABA9DF01C.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back