Quick Q about return pump plumbing

JRSE7EN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a tank from scratch but this inquiry has mostly to do with the back pressure of the return pump if the power goes out. Years ago if I cut the power on my return the water would instantly reverse flow into the sump or onto the floor<depending on water level in the tank where it meets the return plumbing> . Was this a fault of my return pump or is this a normal phenomenon? How has technology changed within the past 10 years? If nothing has changed, how would I remedy this issue the CORRECT way? Thanks in advance!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is normal. Your sump needs to be able hold that water.

OP
OP
J

JRSE7EN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is normal. Your sump needs to be able hold that water.
The sump will hold it for sure. I wasn't sure if there was an industry wide solution I should look for on newer equipment that would help regulate the sump level in case of power failure. My biggest issue if I can recall from years ago was that the protein skimmer would start back up at a higher level, then completely spew into the sump. Not the end of the world but planning for worst case scenario will hopefully put me ahead.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back