Quieting single pipe Durso overflow?

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
i've been refurbing a 90g Oceanic tank that I got for basically nothing. I started it up tonight with a freshwater test to check for leaks, etc, and I'm surprised by how noisy the the overflow, and 1 1/4 inner diam. pipe emptying into temporary sump is (new sump on way).

The tank only has a single pipe overflow and return, so kind of limited to what it has to work with.
Here's a photo of the overflow pulled up as high as it will go for photo... seems like a Durso?

20200220_212957.jpg

Runs well enough, but is a constant gurgling/splash/surging sound from both the top, and from the sump from water/bubbles entering the sump ( overflow pipe is underwater ) and here's a video of the water entering the sump.

The return pump is a 750gph Hydor Seltz D 750 DC. I'm not immediately happy with the volume level on it, but we'll see if it quiets down in a couple days.

It's currently running into a temporary 20gallon long sump, but will be a 30g sump once it arrives.

So is there anything I can do to quiet this thing down more? I've tried turning down the Hydor as low as it goes and it's better, but the gurgling is still audible when outside the room the tanks in. Would "more" flow help? When maxed out the Hydor has even more whine, but it can be returned if it doesn't quiet down.

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think that pump should pace with the overflow just fine but if your still getting gurgling you may have to find a way to dial it down a bit more.

Couldn’t get the video to load. Can you get a pic of the temporary plumbing. Are you saying you have 1.25” for the post bulkhead plumbing as well?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanic .... or Aqueon? Looks like the latter to me. Anyhow, depending upon your tolerance for noise, a durso may never be quiet enough. Since the tank has not been setup yet, have you considered using a dual drain system with a siphon as the main water moving drain? Vastly better ....

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank with a durso, you have it set up correctly. If it’s too loud for you switch to herbie now before it’s way to late like me. I think about redoing mine to herbie all the time and doing the return plumbing over the back. You could even drill the return since you are this early on.

OP
OP
snowhite

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanic .... or Aqueon? Looks like the latter to me. Anyhow, depending upon your tolerance for noise, a durso may never be quiet enough. Since the tank has not been setup yet, have you considered using a dual drain system with a siphon as the main water moving drain? Vastly better ....

Says Oceanic on the outside edge of the tank itself, and the tanks drilled on the bottom already for 1 out 1 in, and there's not enough room inside the existing overflow cover for another...

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can create a return line outside/back of the tank using combination of flex tube and PVC. We do it all the time. Remember to use a check valve or find the ways to break the siphon.

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use flex tubing and or change to pvc pipe and add a gate valve to it. Hope that helps to reduce the flows. Or use both holes for Durso and create an external return line.

OP
OP
snowhite

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems normal

Ok, it's currently 1 1/4 inner diameter. It had ribbed tubing on it, but I thought maybe it was tumbling the water, so I tried switching to clear smooth. I think the smooth might actually be louder from not slowing down the water at all.

OP
OP
snowhite

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so I convert the smaller current return pipe to the shorter siphon pipe, then return over the back.

Not sure I'm prepared to drill a tank yet. It's already setup and I've moved it inside/outside multiple times already during the cleanup process. I'd hate to go through all this and then screw up the drilling and ruin the tank.
Over the back seems way safer to me at this point.

Reading up on Herbie setups.

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these manufacturers oversize the topside to allow for a solid flow to the bottom side of the bulkhead which is usually 1”. Both marineland and aqueon are like this as well. 1.25” up top to 1” underneath.

Looks like oceanic used a 1” bulkhead. So the bigger pipe up top is pushing water through the smaller hole, then you have a larger pipe after the bulkhead. The water will cascade down this pipe into the sump as seen in the video and be rather noisy.

Run some 1” pvc (or a barb down to 1” I’d tubing) from the bulkhead to the sump and the water noise rushing through the pipe should stop since. The pipe gets slightly smaller as you work you’re way from the durso to the bulkhead to the 1” pipe you shouldn’t have any air in the drain.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you do the return?

I have a pipe that goes up the back on the other end of the tank and used a couple elbows to bring pipe over the rim of the tank. I've read others saying they didn't want to do this since they didn't want to see the pipes from the side. I was okay with this since my DIY stand design covers up all the plumbing and wiring from the side.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question.....How loud is it? I am going to be setting up a new tank shortly that will have a Durso on it as well. Currently have a HOB. I don't mind the sound of the HOB, but how does the Durso compare? Also do any of you know how the length of the drain line affects the sound level? I am draining 8ft so i wonder if that makes a difference. May end up going w. Herbie but want to be sure before I drill another hole in the floor.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Durso seems really wide. The bottom of it is 1 1/4, but the middle section of it is an inch larger at 2 1/4".

20200220_222641.jpg

That's a pretty standard configuration for a durso standpipe. Identical to the ones Aqueon uses, thus my question about who made the tank.

OP
OP
snowhite

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes …..

So also thinking I could probably just keep that existing Durso as the emergency drain, or pull the top cap off it and use it that way where it has adjustable height, or pop the downward snout off it.
Current return is already a length of PVC, so just a matter of slowly trimming that down to where it no longer sucks air.

It's making sense now.

Will build together the over the back return this weekend with most likely 1" flex coming off pump going to 3/4 pvc up and over.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back