quratined fish and shipping question

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know if a fish was quarantined for all the diseases and shipped. Would shipping stress cause the diseases to re-surface or are the fish already cured and no diseases could come back? Thank you

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know if a fish was quarantined for all the diseases and shipped. Would shipping stress cause the diseases to re-surface or are the fish already cured and no diseases could come back? Thank you
Depends on what you mean by quarantine ? how was it QT? if a fish is truely pathogen free and was placed in a pathogen free system than no, it cant just come out of thin air.

Pathogens can hide though, and with some of them fish can appear to be unaffected or not showing signs of something they are carrying and stress can decrease their immunity thus causing it to surface/negatively affect or kill the fish.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! A fish can appear to be disease/pathogen free but still be a carrier. Stress can cause symptoms to re-emerge or not re-emerge. For example, I have low potency ich in my system. Existing fish population are asympomatic. Most new additions are also asymptomatic, but certain fish with high susceptibility are a problem and I cannot keep them.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you mean by quarantine ? how was it QT? if a fish is truely pathogen free and was placed in a pathogen free system than no, it cant just come out of thin air.

Pathogens can hide though, and with some of them fish can appear to be unaffected or not showing signs of something they are carrying and stress can decrease their immunity thus causing it to surface/negatively affect or kill the fish.
Full QT ie, Copper, prazi, GC, the whole nine yards!

Yup! A fish can appear to be disease/pathogen free but still be a carrier. Stress can cause symptoms to re-emerge or not re-emerge. For example, I have low potency ich in my system. Existing fish population are asympomatic. Most new additions are also asymptomatic, but certain fish with high susceptibility are a problem and I cannot keep them.

Ah so what if it was a brand new system and nothing but the fish that was Fully QT'd and shipped would diseases still be present? Although they were QT'd with the full protocol?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah so what if it was a brand new system and nothing but the fish that was Fully QT'd and shipped would diseases still be present? Although they were QT'd with the full protocol?

Something can always slip through QT, so it’s never going to be 100%. Much better than no QT of course.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New system would need all the snails...corals.. and such QT as well. Rock too if it wasnt dry. If your trying to keep every possible thing out.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something can always slip through QT, so it’s never going to be 100%. Much better than no QT of course.

Im thinking of ordering from marine collectors and im sure theyre pretty strict with quarantine procedures but non the less youre right aswell!

New system would need all the snails...corals.. and such QT as well. Rock too if it wasnt dry. If your trying to keep every possible thing out.

Thats what i plan to do :) mainly trying to keep ich out and velvet out :)

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking of ordering from marine collectors and im sure theyre pretty strict with quarantine procedures but non the less you're right as well!

While I am sure there are vendors out there that do actually quarantine their fish, but they are few and far between, I know some do offer actual QT and charge extra for it, and you have to wait, I'm sure many of these do actually practice correct procedures, but who knows?
many wholesalers and online livestock retailers simply run copper or other chems in their fish holding systems.- to them thats "quarantined" even if the fish only spends a day or two in their holding system, nothing stopping them from telling you otherwise.

For me, my personal practices and my beliefs are generally TTM is superior to all forms of QT hands down, however, certain fish that are susceptible/common vectors of uronema will always get a formalin treatment before being introduced into my QT and TTM starts, esp common vectors of Uronema like chromis, damsels, anthias, butterflies and genicanthus angels.

Just my .02

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back