R2R I need plumbing help!!

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it Matt. Remember to put a valve between the pump and the tank to turn it down if necessary. After a while you can decide if you need/want a different pump. But IMO it will work fine for now.

Also when I dry fit my plumbing I will use a permanent marker and mark both sides of a joint. Sometimes it is necessary to remove a section of dry fitted pipe in order to glue it. Having the angles and twists marked make it easier to get it back in the same configuration when you go to glue it together.

Don't put the valve to close to the pump. The back pressure is not good on the pump.

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok gonna have to ask the wife this pump was basicly a gift from the guy who sold me the tank !!
Seeing as I have it Im gonna use it !!
If the eletric bill becomes too much ill swap it down the road I like the fact that I can run all my equipment with it I might look for a skimmer I can run with it now so I won't be adding another pump maybe percision marine!

Any reccomendation on the manifold originally I was gonna just run 3/4 back to tank but now I'd like to build a manifold and plug 3 Ts for future equipment!
I'm also considering now I know how strong this pump is to add 2 returns so ill have the 2 in middle with loc line And would like to Add 1 to each side for additional flow as I only have 2 mp 40s

Is this a good idea?
How do I prevent a siphon when the pump shuts off!

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I prevent a siphon when the pump shuts off!

There are several ways.

1) Check Valve (can and does fail)
2) Siphon break. Just a small hole drilled in your return line as close to the top of the tank as you can so when the pump stops air is sucked into the hole and breaks the siphon. This can fail too if the hole gets clogged with debris or a snail is over it.
3) Automatic (Electronic) Shut off valve (Very Expensive, but will shut the valve when there is no power to it.) The Valve Shop - Shop Valves Online! Hayward Motorized Electric Plastic Ball Valves

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solenoid is out !!! Lol I'm on a super tight budget here just bought a house!

I guess ill just leave the return up far enough so it won't siphon more water then sump can Handel

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simplest and cheapest way is a Siphon Break. I would do at least that.
Just drill a 1/4" whole in your return line just below the surface of the water.

There will be a bit of water shooting out of that hole but since it is under the water surface it's not a problem.
As soon as the power goes out and the water drops below that hole air will get sucked in and break the siphon.
Pretty safe, just keep it clean and you should be fine. You could put an airline nipple of a piece of tubing in there and that will kind of keep snails from crawling over it.

I understand the Solenoid is out, believe me I can't afford to do it now either, but I still have the one that I bought 10-12 years ago and may set it up if I redo my plumbing.

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reccomendation on the manifold originally I was gonna just run 3/4 back to tank but now I'd like to build a manifold and plug 3 Ts for future equipment!
I'm also considering now I know how strong this pump is to add 2 returns so ill have the 2 in middle with loc line And would like to Add 1 to each side for additional flow as I only have 2 mp 40s

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tip on the siphon break. The fittings that we use on most RO systems are called Jon Guest fittings. There is one that is a 90 degree elbow and has one end threaded and the other is a quick release.

Drill the hole for the siphon break big enough so you can screw the threaded end of the jon guest elbow into the hole. Now you can direct the flow up and down (if the hole is on the side of the return pipe) or left and right (if the hole is on the top or bottom of the pipe). I use mine to create more water movement on the surface and that also gets the other end of the elbow very close to the water surface so it siphon breaks as quickly as possible. It also makes it VERY unlikely that a snail will cover the hole and block the siphon break. All those features for under $10.

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys keep it Coming!

As for the budget I have everything I need to get this running and that's all I wanna do get it running and build on it over time!!
But I know things in this hobby r crazy expensive lucky enough I got the tank pump and light for this tank at an absolute steal!

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tomorrow I've got the whole day to work on tank my wife and son r going to beach for the day!

I bought sch 40 bulkheads I called and asked I measured the 2 drain holes to be 2 1/2" guy said they only come 2 3/8
The bulk head rubber covers the hole but its not snug like I want it to be! Looking at the old bulk head I'm thinking they are sch 80 can I use the sch 40 or should I reorder sch 80
Also if I use the ones I have what kind of lube do I use the gasket goes on the top side with water?

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had the day to work on it 2 trips to Home Depot I've got the return lines run out!
Here few pics I left 3 Ts plugged for future equipment!
I Havnt glued it yet so if there is something that won't work lmk please!
I decided to tie the pump back Into sump so I don't have to dial Down pump too much and use the extra flow to keep from getting detritus build up In sump!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376266769.028853.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376266782.277285.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376266801.144607.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376266809.878002.jpg

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to add 2 return lined 1 on each side originally tank only had the 1 in middle that splits with locline!
Now there r 3 returns 1 on each side and 1 in middle!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 returns is fine. I have two returns and each of those is split into 2 lockline outputs. BTW: All of my outputs are right at the surface, this makes sure almost no water siphons back in the event of a power outage.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 returns on my old 125. a 1" Little Giant and then 2 1/2" Little Giants that were on a Wave Timer and had LocLine 1 1/2
flare nozzles on the end. made for some pretty good flow in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back