Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna start plumping my 225 gal
I bought used today!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375799915.601912.jpg

Here it is it will be plumbed to the closet next to it to this sump!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375799971.016154.jpg

Basically I have a general idea how I'm gonna do this but looking for advice on where to put unions or valves and mostly best way to pipe in external pump ill post a pic that later !
Any advice is greatly appreciated I couldn't get help on another Fourm so hope u guys can help!
Any info requests lmk!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for some help!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use lots of unions. Basically everywhere you would ever want to remove the plumbing for cleaning or adjustment. They are cheap. Also make sure you have a downward slope all the way from the tank to the sump.

Return plumbing is fairly easy to do. Use gate valves on the return so you can precisely control return flow. Return flow determines how much water flows through your sump.

Use ball valves on the drains so you can shut them off for maintenence.

Also create a manifold for the return so you can branch off and direct water to reactors, a refugium or other accessories.

Here is a video I made of my 125RR tank.

[video=youtube;UD3jXMD9nFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UD3jXMD9nFU[/video]

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to start plumbing the external pump which outlet is the intake which is the out take?

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375839434.504325.jpg

Ok so I'm gonna mount the pump on a sm wood plank !
Can I plumb the pump the way I have it laid out will it work using 2 elbows before the pump intake ? I don't have room to go strait into pump intake and I wanna add unions!

Please any help or comments would be great?
!!!

Oliver_Klosoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The less fittings the better. Instead of two 90s do you have enough room to put the pump perpendicular to your sump cutting out one of the 90s?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what Oliver Klosoff said,"The less fittings the better. Instead of two 90s do you have enough room to put the pump perpendicular to your sump cutting out one of the 90s?"

As I look at your photo, I assume you have the ball valve on the feed (into) side of the pump? I'm assuming that is just to shut off the water to the pump when you pull it for cleaning and NOT to 'regulate' the flow to the pump while running? That can starve the pump and cause serious issues like over heating and cavitation. IMHO, I'd try to put the ball valve and union just off the pump (both in and out). Having the valve and union as close as possible to the pump makes for a lot less water in the 'extra' pipe to spill out when you remove the pump. Also install a union and ball valve (a gate valve would give you a lot better control over the return flow... but I used ball valves too, but I'll do better next time, LOL!) on the out put side of the pump. Regulating the out flow from the pump is the right way to do it. However, you want to check in the pump's instruction and specs to see if it will 'tolerate' having the flow restricted. Some pumps don't. Also, you have the room to use two or four 45 degree fittings rather than one or two 90 degree fittings. It's not a huge deal, but two 45 degree fittings 'flow' better than one 90 degree fitting, Think of you in your car, going as fast as you can, and taking two 45 degree turns in short succession vs one 90 degree turn. You can take the 45's much faster (i.e. better flow).

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, do away with the elbow closest to the pump. remember, you will NEED to remove this pump from time to time for maintenance. I prefer to put my valves and union as close to the pumps as possible. less water you have to deal when. in your scenario, you will have all the water from that valve into the pump, plus what is on the other side of it to the next union and valve.

Gate valves are more expensive but easier to turn in tight areas. Ball valves tent to stick and if it is tight, you will have a tough time turning it. (experience here) So. for me do this: Sump->Valve->Elbow ->union ->pump -> union -> valve ->tank. Put a valve and union close to the tank as well so you can cut off there if need be. if your pump is large enough, consider making a minifold for it to run reactors and other accessories. My MAIN runs the tank, chiller, pellets, UV and calcium reactors. it used to my skimmer till I got a new one. valves to adjust all of them.

oversize the pipe a bit for your valves and unions and only reduce to pump size. this gives you less restriction to the pump. an elboy right at the pump can cause turbulence and you may get micro bubbles as it impeller can cavitate (i have that shirt).

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm gonna check when I get home to see if it will fit that way !
Pump needs to be mounted too wood??
Can I leave a T with threaded plug somewhere in return pipe so I can run reactors off it later ?( right now the goal to get this baby wet and running nothing fancy! I will add to it over time as I get the equipment!

This pump says its 26 gal or so per min
Is that enough for this tank??
It's an iwaki pump!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My manifold (unlabeled).

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the mess i should have cleaned it a bit. this is an older photo. Start from center bottom of the sump. water exits here and goes to the return pump on the left hand bottom. then go up, it branches just above the union with a 2" feed to the tank, then up to another T where it converts to 1" on each end. 1 goes to the skimmer (since removed) the other goes all the way across the back to the black hose on the right and thru the chiller then into the sump. Just before chiller you can see three red valves. these currently feed UV, Bio Pellets and Calcium reactor.

there is about 8 feed of head on this system so I have a TON of water pressure available to do just about anything I need considering ths pump is a 4000+ gph barracuda.

2011-06-23181650.jpg

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm gonna add some Ts to my return line and plug them for future!
I'm running 3/4 " PVC as the return because that is how it was run originally
Here is a pic of the return with loc line lin
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375921749.182890.jpg
e

I wish there where 2 returns and I guess I could plumb it that way but Im trying to just keep it simple and use what I have to get it running I can change things over time!

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this pump good for this tank is it strong enough ? I'm only going maybe 7 feet to the return into display!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375921967.166307.jpg

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a nice high pressure pump. Iwaki are good. keep the fan on the end clean so it stays cool. thats 1500 GPH. you should have plenty of flow. your tank can handle all of that flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back