R2R I need plumbing help!!

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,Thanks, but no need to feel sorry. Seth is an amazing kid. Very smart. Going into 4th grade with normal children. He had an aide that helps him with physical things.He had no interest in my tank, but thats ok. It's my thing.I hope your son takes an interest and helps you with it.I just notices your from Long Island. I grew up in Oceanside.

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm in garden city 10 min from Oceanside! They got hit hard by the storm !

So I had a guy come over and he thinks the bulkhead leaked because there was sand between the rubber and glass!!
Ill take a pic when I get home but I'm thinking he was right because the way the stand is I couldn't reach the inside of the 1 1/2 hole to clean inside glass but I did do it on the other 2 because I could reach the 2 I cleaned held!
So now I flushed the overflow box and will clean the hole as best I can I bought a new bulk head and ill try again !
This time I'm not doing any glueing until I fill overflow box completely and leave over night!

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is 1 set of rodi filters good to fill tthis 225 gal tank with 40 gal sump or do I need to switch?

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I put bulkheads in my 125 I don't remember if I used lub, but I don't think I did.
I don't have and RO/DI unit so I can't answer that question. Depending on the unit you got I think there is some kind of meter that will tell you when the filters need to be replaced.

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got the bulkheads re installed!! They r holding and I'm pretty happy about it!!
Got another 5-6 hours work left till I can turn pump on!
Hung lights in canopy
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377137113.921707.jpg

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting some water build up by sump I checked bulkheads 2 where a bit loose I'm hoping that was it!!!

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope so.

If you every do this again (which you probably will several time) test thing in stages.

Set the sump up and put the bulkheads in, then fill the sump and check for leaks.
Some people will set everything up outside and then do a full

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately it seems ill only be using 1 out of the 3 returns I plumbed for this tank I might cut and cap the 2 side returns or I might just open a different one every few days to switch up the flow a bit !
Or the other option would be to try a bigger pump I think for now ill just keep what I have !

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to try a SCWD (Switching Current Water Director).
Do a google search for it. It's only about $40.

I personally have never tried it, but thought about it.
Some things to consider are that it does switch returns based on the force of the pump you are using, so it may reduce the flow a little bit.

[h=1][/h]

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is. Research this pretty good. The review I saw really briefly were sawing that it had a tendency to get stuck, but I think that was the 3/4" model.

philr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several mentions of unions and yes - place them with a shut off valve nearby so you can dismantle the plumbing for maintenance when needed. You have a center flow on the tank, mine is similar - I have a 90 gallon. I used a 20g long for the filter. Basically I have 2 drainpipes from the tank into a filter bag, and 1 return from the pump. to the tank I created a manifold and "T" off 2 fittings to the tank. There was a video posted, and my setup is very similar to that. It appears from your picture that your tank is located at the bottom of stairs. Mine is as well, I cut an access panel in the wall behind the tank and put all the filtration and electrical thru the access into the area under the stairs. I have room under the tank for supplies. One other point to mention is that I placed my filter and pump on 2x4's and created a platform about 4" above the floor, this enabled me to keep everything level and off the floor away from any spilled water. Good luck!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back