R2R I need plumbing help!!

WatercolorsGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to make the pipe run straight into the pump as far as possible after the last 90°/45° from the pump. Shoot for at least 12" of straight pipe into the pump. A turn or restriction within 12" of the pump and there may be cavitation issues which will produce micro bubbles in the tank and is very hard on the impeller in your pump.

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you pickup man for all ur help!!

What do you think about the "3/4 return?
Will it work that way or should I upsize the line until I get back to the bulk head?
The bulk head is drilled for 3/4 pipe just 1 hole !

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water colors do u think I should go with original lay out with the 2 90s that way I can put atleast 12" pipe b4 pump !
Maybe ill call pump company

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375957959.470314.jpg

This was what I was gonna do but after hearing about the atleast 12" maybe ill go to original plan!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375958031.136230.jpg

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is way too much pump for that tank. That pump will cost you $42/month or more to run (at .15KWh/hour). I'd look at an Eheim 1260/62.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks better imo
And flow wise, its good. But the externals can get expensive, but add very little heat. I love my externals.
Sent from my Galaxy S 3 with Tapatalk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer bob I didn't realize it would be so expensive!

Will this pump work for this tank?
Bob do u think an internal pump would be better keep in mind this will be a 100% sps tank and I'm leaning towards bare bottom ! So I'd like alot of flow!

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually I would add some equipment to the pump also and maybe even add 2 more return lines !
I'm not to worried about heat tank is in basement and I'm running LEDs!
So an internal is not outta the question I kinda wanted to use this pump to run everything in tank !
Is there another external pump that be better rated for this tank??

Guys please add any experience you have had plumbing a lg tank !
What you learned etc..... I have bulkheads comming and gonna hopefully finish up Sunday!

Oh I should fit all pipe togeather b4 glueing do that at the end!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Iwaki pumps are awesome but IMO not really good for anything under 500 plus gallons. Really I think they were designed for ponds. They use a lot of power. The Eheim 1262 is only 80 Watts and 910 gph with a head height of 12 feet. I have one on my 125g with 2 megaflows and I have it cranked back almost 1/2 way even with 2 returns it is too powerful. It can be used submerged or externally.

Definatley dry fit all of your plumbing.

Last edited:

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys please add any experience you have had plumbing a lg tank !
What you learned etc..... I have bulkheads comming and gonna hopefully finish up Sunday!

Oh I should fit all pipe togeather b4 glueing do that at the end!

Definitely fit the pipe together before you glue it.

As far as advice plan for the future and additional equipment. You saw on the previous page Ron Reefman mentioned a manifold. This will allow you to add more equipment to the return without having to re-plump everything. Just cap off the positions you aren't using right now.

Try to keep Elbows to a minimum they will reduce the flow. 2 45's positioned correctly can give you the same results without the lost of flow.
I don't know how people feel about CPVC pipe, but I've used the 90° from CPVC because it is a much longer and softer bend then a regular 90°.
Best advice is to plan it out on paper that way you know how may T's you need and how many elbows you need before you go to the store and you don't have to make multiple trips.

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok looking for some opinions on this pump it's the only one I have ! Should I just use it?

WatercolorsGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it Matt. Remember to put a valve between the pump and the tank to turn it down if necessary. After a while you can decide if you need/want a different pump. But IMO it will work fine for now.

Also when I dry fit my plumbing I will use a permanent marker and mark both sides of a joint. Sometimes it is necessary to remove a section of dry fitted pipe in order to glue it. Having the angles and twists marked make it easier to get it back in the same configuration when you go to glue it together.

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roll with it. why spend a ton more of something that you dont necesarily need to replace. I love my externals.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwaki Pump = 390 watts @ .15/kWh = $42.12/month ($512.46/year)
Eheim 1262 = 80 watts @ .15/kWh = $8.64/month ($105.12/year)
difference = $33.48/month

Eheim = $170 / 33.48 = 5 months ROI plus get a new VERY quiet top of the line pump.

Need I say more?

nexusnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that size of tank id go reeflo snapper. Energy efficiant and great product. To get similar flow magnetic drive pumps use alot more power. I have a manifold and run a dump pipe to return extra flow back to my sump from the pump. Put a valve on it and if u want more flow u turn it closed and feed the tank more water. Over time as u add more corals and gear u may want the extra flow.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True bob, but why not use what he has at least now? Heck the water blaster pumps are amazing. Drop a few hundred on one of those.

Yes, there are more energy efficient pumps, butbthe one he has will work and move more than enough water for his tank.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True bob, but why not use what he has at least now? Heck the water blaster pumps are amazing. Drop a few hundred on one of those.

Yes, there are more energy efficient pumps, butbthe one he has will work and move more than enough water for his tank.

No I agree. It is purely a monetary issue with me. If he buys a new pump, in under 5 months it is paid for via monthly recurring cost savings. It isn't like the Iwaki is just a little less efficient than other pumps, it is exponentially less efficient. I say take the hit now and get something more efficient. But if cost savings are not factor, he's got a good pump there. And really there will be almost no hit now as he could easily resell that pump to offset some if not all of the new pump.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back