Radion G5 Rant. $900?

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s the same price as the old G4 but I’m still amazed people can and will spend $900 (with tax) on a 12 inch 100 watt LED. It truly is a light for the elite. Their advertising pull on the market is incredible. They learned the market will support $900 so they kept it that way. Everyone already has them listed online, YouTube interviews, you name it. Its an LED board, heat sink, fan and wifi chip with an app. And it’s water resistant. OMG they designed their own fan!? The advertise better blending. It’s easy to blend any LED light by using some sort of diffusing material.

For $900!? Oh and you’ll need 2-4 of them over your tank.

For me it’s a hobby and I appreciate cost effective lighting solutions. I’ve seen plenty of Radion powered tanks full of GHA (Gallery Aquatica customer tanks) and I’ve seen some black box tanks that would amaze you. Celebrating a free market! Next up G6 for $1k! Or, for me, something cheaper :(

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really that high of a price, people pay 1000.00 or more for the new iPhone and I know people who buy the new iPhone every year when they come out with The latest and greatest.

Some have good experiences with a manufacturer and continue to purchase the newest light. People turn their hobby into a business and write off the experience of the lights.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the iPhone comparisons but would also argue that the iPhone is also much more useful and innovative. I don’t see the innovation in the Radion. Does it grow corals better than cheaper lights?

Ryan9316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will spend anything for the "new" thing, or in the case of lights, 1% better growth or color, if any improvement happens at all.

The coral frag thing is a plague. Hobbyists trying to gouge other hobbyists for tiny frags... However, Ecotech, and these greedy hobbyists continue to do it, why? Because people will PAY for it, if no one bought these items, the prices would go down. I'm pretty new to the hobby <1 year, and I'm extremely saddened by the state of it.

Ecotech could sell a goats fart if they wanted to

Brad ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really that high of a price, people pay 1000.00 or more for the new iPhone and I know people who buy the new iPhone every year when they come out with The latest and greatest.

Some have good experiences with a manufacturer and continue to purchase the newest light. People turn their hobby into a business and write off the experience of the lights.
That’s a great reply
Parents buy their kids new iPhones all the time for $800 and up

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People turn their hobby into a business and write off the experience of the lights.
*experience=expense ?
Do you know anyone that is actually doing that?

IMO MAP pricing is price fixing, so I won’t do business with them.

U

User1

View Badges
Market says the light will be fine at that price. Has nothing to do with %1 percent or growth potential or the price of tea in some geographic location. Hobbyist have choices and that is what we need and nowhere does it say this light will grow corals better than a Kessil, T5 system, Hybrid T5 and LED system, MH, or even solar tubes aka natural lighting. Oh, I forgot DIY LED's.

They key to the hobby is the overall system and its respected design. Tank, life support. corals, fish, lighting, and maintenance. For what it is worth similar threads came out after Kessil launced the A360x. Several here who own previous version flat out said there is really no need to rush and upgrade. However, if you are looking for a new light then this could fit in rather well due to form factor, light spread, etc. Same example here. You do not have to upgrade should have have Gen 4 lighting.

Yes, the manufacture hopes you upgrade with each upgrade provided however you don't need to. Hobbyist has to decide much like a custom PC builder decides if they want to upgrade after every new chip or follow the tick, tock, tick, tick, cycle.

Bottom like - the ball is in your court. Up to you if you want to play or pass.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But your build thread will be much cooler with $4500 in lighting and burnt corals!

Its kind of like a lot of the teenagers in NC; $2500 truck with an $8k lift kit and mud tires so they can hang out in Sheets parking lot.

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*experience=expense ?
Do you know anyone that is actually doing that?

IMO MAP pricing is price fixing, so I won’t do business with them.

Expense not experience.
Do I know anyone who is turning hobby into a business? If that is the question you are asking then yes I do. Most vendors use Echotech lights, not all pay Our cost but some do.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the XR30 G4 Pro’s x 4 in November 2019 and am I really bothered that they’ve updated them, no not really. It’s a light, a good light, and as someone who’s not really interested in lights, as long as they do the job and look ‘pretty’ then that’s fine with me.

I understand others will be serious about lighting, maybe a bit like HIFI, computers or whatever and want the latest and best.

Companies will always bring out new products to tempt the hobbyists whatever the hobby. I play golf and when the latest drivers released and promises to make me play better, what do I do. Well you know what I would do, so I’ve stopped buying the magazines! lol

Ecotech are a business like any other, they develop products and sell them at the maximum price point they can to maximise ‘their’ profits. If the price point is £500, £1000, £2000 and people buy them then....

I would love the price to be cheaper, but it’s not and there’s nothing I can do about it and everyone has a choice. Buy a Radion or something else.

I was actually looking at the light spectrum graphs between the new Blue and Pro versions and same with the G4’s. In the real world is that really going to make a difference to the average hobbyist, probably not.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the XR30 G4 Pro’s x 4 in November 2019 and am I really bothered that they’ve updated them, no not really. It’s a light, a good light, and as someone who’s not really interested in lights, as long as they do the job and look ‘pretty’ then that’s fine with me.

I understand others will be serious about lighting, maybe a bit like HIFI, computers or whatever and want the latest and best.

Companies will always bring out new products to tempt the hobbyists whatever the hobby. I play golf and when the latest drivers released and promises to make me play better, what do I do. Well you know what I would do, so I’ve stopped buying the magazines! lol

Ecotech are a business like any other, they develop products and sell them at the maximum price point they can to maximise ‘their’ profits. If the price point is £500, £1000, £2000 and people buy them then....

I would love the price to be cheaper, but it’s not and there’s nothing I can do about it and everyone has a choice. Buy a Radion or something else.

I was actually looking at the light spectrum graphs between the new Blue and Pro versions and same with the G4’s. In the real world is that really going to make a difference to the average hobbyist, probably not.
Preach brother, preach. :)

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not only in this hobby.. People spend thousands on their phones pc parts like video cards and stuff on cars just to look and sound better. Its kinds the same on tanks it will look and sound better.. For me i think prices ar crazy for frags like zoanthid just with cool name go for 300$ per head or sps 1inch frag 200$+..
Well i think if you can afford it then why not!? Same with clothing brands most of them have just the name and huge price tag.

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preach brother, preach. :)
@SPR1968 This always happens when I buy an iPhone. Well, not much anymore. If you’re happy with the product you bought, you bought it for that reason, even if the next new shiny model is coming out. Lighting is lighting. We tend to overthink lighting too much in this hobby. We can make adjustments here and there. But if it works it works. Look how many people are running back to retro MH.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back