Radion Pro or Hydra 52

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a toss up between the 2 and looking to buy soon. Thought I'd ask here what peeps thought of each and which would be the light of choice. Leaning toward the Hydra a little already, but could use a little feedback from those who have or have had both.

Thanks!

Aaron

Alakai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a toss up between the 2 and looking to buy soon. Thought I'd ask here what peeps thought of each and which would be the light of choice. Leaning toward the Hydra a little already, but could use a little feedback from those who have or have had both.

Thanks!

Aaron
Hydra!

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't owned the Radion Pro, but I considered that as a main competitor to a Hydra (it seems weird to me that they are both owned by the same company now). I thought the LED's were roughly comparable, the Radion Pro having slightly better reviews (debatable), those fancy bubbled (? TIR) lenses on the Radion (possibly distracting, possibly nice), that the Hydra has a built in arm for the Red Sea Reefer (which I was going to buy), the Hydra's lower cost, and the Hydra's inclusion of WiFi. I ended up going with the Hydra as I thought that it was roughly comparable in most areas but cheaper and was able to be directly connected to my Red Sea Reefer.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't owned the Radion Pro, but I considered that as a main competitor to a Hydra (it seems weird to me that they are both owned by the same company now). I thought the LED's were roughly comparable, the Radion Pro having slightly better reviews (debatable), those fancy bubbled (? TIR) lenses on the Radion (possibly distracting, possibly nice), that the Hydra has a built in arm for the Red Sea Reefer (which I was going to buy), the Hydra's lower cost, and the Hydra's inclusion of WiFi. I ended up going with the Hydra as I thought that it was roughly comparable in most areas but cheaper and was able to be directly connected to my Red Sea Reefer.
That's actually perfect because I'm considering getting a Redsea reefer as well, so this helps a lot! Thank you!

Thanks! ;)

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually perfect because I'm considering getting a Redsea reefer as well, so this helps a lot! Thank you!

Thanks! ;)

If you want the integrated mount, you need to buy the Red Sea Reefer Deluxe - what that gets you is a mounting arm that screws on externally (very securely!) and that flips up and out of the way if you ever need it to. It comes out to be a bi of a cost savings over buying a mounting arm separately, and the Deluxe arm looks cleaner and more aesthetic in my humble opinion :-D

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the integrated mount, you need to buy the Red Sea Reefer Deluxe - what that gets you is a mounting arm that screws on externally (very securely!) and that flips up and out of the way if you ever need it to. It comes out to be a bi of a cost savings over buying a mounting arm separately, and the Deluxe arm looks cleaner and more aesthetic in my humble opinion :-D
Well, the deluxe comes with the Hydra lights correct? So if I plan on getting that, then I should just wait until I purchase that unit.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks!

Aaron
I sold my AI stuff after being a multi year user. The light seemed fine - the quality - not so much - multiple replacements needed. Bought the radions have been happy - never a software glitch, etc. To me - it wouldn't be a question - I greatly prefer the Radions. and I have 2 Red Sea reefers - both using radions - they look great - and well yeah

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back