Radions and zoanthids

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was wondering if anyone here is using a Radion ( any gen) for a zoanthid dominated tank.
I'd like to hear and see the details.
Size tank, Radion program and intensity, height over the tank, etc.

I know a lot of us have zoanthids in our tanks, but I'm looking more for Radions over tanks where the main focus is zoanthids.

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along, would also like to hear other people's experiences with radions and zoas. My zoas hated them but it could have been from other reasons ie not enough nutrients or too much or too little flow. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone here is using a Radion ( any gen) for a zoanthid dominated tank.
I'd like to hear and see the details.
Size tank, Radion program and intensity, height over the tank, etc.

I know a lot of us have zoanthids in our tanks, but I'm looking more for Radions over tanks where the main focus is zoanthids.

IMO Zoas love LEDs , my best results were with an old Evo fixture, royal blues and cool whites, I'm sure the radions will do an even better job.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMO Zoas love LEDs , my best results were with an old Evo fixture, royal blues and cool whites, I'm sure the radions will do an even better job.
I tried a Radion last year and didn't have very good growth, but am wanting to give it a try and am hoping people who have Radions over zoanthids show me their programs.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... that's a mixed bag. I have Kessils and while not a big time zoa collector I have/have had a variety of colonies. I'm just going to say most zoanthids don't seem to like kessils. Now palys and people eaters don't seem to have a problem. I have several agaves and they are just fine. I had a couple big colonies that were doing very well under MH/T5 that just seemed to almost vanish when I went to kessil. Even recently some zoas grown out from frags doing great that had spread over transplant rock and then just started dwindling and no sign of disease or predator. They were even treated with furan-2 and iodine and no improvement. I do have mostly SPS, some LPS and some other softies that do fine. Maybe they can't tolerate the light levels I run long term. These have been around so not a matter of acclimation.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well... that's a mixed bag. I have Kessils and while not a big time zoa collector I have/have had a variety of colonies. I'm just going to say most zoanthids don't seem to like kessils. Now palys and people eaters don't seem to have a problem. I have several agaves and they are just fine. I had a couple big colonies that were doing very well under MH/T5 that just seemed to almost vanish when I went to kessil. Even recently some zoas grown out from frags doing great that had spread over transplant rock and then just started dwindling and no sign of disease or predator. They were even treated with furan-2 and iodine and no improvement. I do have mostly SPS, some LPS and some other softies that do fine. Maybe they can't tolerate the light levels I run long term. These have been around so not a matter of acclimation.
I didn't ask about Kessils.

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a gen 2 Radion, changed up to a gen 3 pro.
After about 6 moths with each, never happy with growth and results on zoa tank.
Changed over to a ATI dimmable t5, with reefbrite xho actinic for pop, and will never look back!

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO zoos really like Blue and White fixtures , Ive had the older Evo and this is what came out of my zoos , i think I've had about 50 fruit loops at the start. then i changed the fixture and went to a full spectrum , my entire colony melted , i managed to save a few , now i set up a frag tank and put my good ol Evo on it and my little fruit loop garden is coming back .
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMO zoos really like Blue and White fixtures , Ive had the older Evo and this is what came out of my zoos , i think I've had about 50 fruit loops at the start. then i changed the fixture and went to a full spectrum , my entire colony melted , i managed to save a few , now i set up a frag tank and put my good ol Evo on it and my little fruit loop garden is coming back .

Nice pictures, but they really don't have anything to do with my original question.

I am looking for people that specifically use Radions over zoanthids tanks, and how they are doing.

I really don't care about other lighting sources.
This isn't a what light are you using thread.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 3 pros, radiant schedule from 9am-8pm, on rms mounts approx 11 inches from water. 75 gallon tank 48 inches long.
1461623264755.jpg
cellphone pic.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Gen 3 pros, radiant schedule from 9am-8pm, on rms mounts approx 11 inches from water. 75 gallon tank 48 inches long.
1461623264755.jpg
cellphone pic.

How long have you had this going?
How are the zoanthids doing?
What intensity?

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year on the radions, maybe a little longer. All colonies started out as frags with only 1 - 3 polyps, and they're mostly at the bottom of the tank.
I have the max intensity set at 45%. Most of the zoas do pretty well. I've had a few that don't like the light but I think it's mostly location depending on the zoanthids. I have some other colonies in the middle and top that are doing well also. That's only a section of the tank.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1461628459803.jpg
1461628503020.jpg

First pic are about 7-8 inches from the surface, second pic is mid point.

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take some pictures tonight. I have Gen 3pro(wide lens) over a 60g deep blue frag tank. High growth 10 hours beyond 20k at 90% 18" off the water. Full zoa tank, pretty good growth

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
About a year on the radions, maybe a little longer. All colonies started out as frags with only 1 - 3 polyps, and they're mostly at the bottom of the tank.
I have the max intensity set at 45%. Most of the zoas do pretty well. I've had a few that don't like the light but I think it's mostly location depending on the zoanthids. I have some other colonies in the middle and top that are doing well also. That's only a section of the tank.
so pretty low intensity.
I had mine up to 65% with the fixture at 9" over the tank.

b3ja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need to carefull with radion .. they pull out plenty of par.. i need to lower down bit white .. then they start to growth ... maybe it just me

adritank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
just about all of my zoas have awesome growth under radions. about to add t5 to the mix. so 2 radion with 4 t5 bulbs we'll see how that goes!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back