radions or SB reef lights?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask the question, because I'm wondering if anyone here has used both of these LED solutions. If you have, which did you end up using in the long run? I currently have 6x radion G4 Pros, and to be honest I'm wondering if it's really worth it? $4,000 of lights over my tank, but I could get 6 of the WIFI sb reef breeders for only $1500. With the wifi I can control them all with an app on my phone via my router, which was really the main thing I liked about the radions. I currently control my radions through my apex, but using the SB reef app on my phone would work just as well for me I'd think?

Just trying to weigh out the pros and cons, and justify the cost!

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SB Reeflights only have 3 channels of control I believe. That's definitely a limiting factor. That being said, if you can set them to a spectrum that you like they'll certainly do the job. The only way to know is to buy one and try it.

cheseenlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if you already have them...... i dont see the reason behind doubting your decision for going with Radions. my opinion they are certainly the best around, and believe it or not they are built to last. very few items in our day to day lives are built to last like ecotech products. Not to mention the resale value is there with radions products compare to other companies out there.

only con is price

i've had great success with radion and SPS. AI hydras seem to do well with LPS and mushrooms, although ive seem amazing tanks with Hydras on them.
ive used kessils before the growth rate seems to be the best with kessils but the colors that the corals get are pretty dull in comparison, not to mention they seem to turn all acans red.

good luck going forward buddy

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both.
I think the question comes down to what do you value most from your lights. Programmability or coverage?
Radions gave me programmability but have a puck design. This creates hot spots, shading, and what I call directional light.
SB gave me full coverage and lots of power. Almost no shading or directional light. The models I purchased have very little programmability.

I think you should base your decision on your performance expectation.

For me the decision was easy. Programmability means little to me. Coverage means a lot.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree that the coverage is not as good as I had hoped. The new lens design is definitely superior over the previous models. But even with 6 of these over a 6'x2'x2' tank, there are shading issues which is why I even started looking into this in the first place. I get less shading with my single mars box over my 20 Long frag tank. :( It's just hard to walk away from radions because I've used them for 8 years and it "feels" like they should perform better?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have this much invested, have you thought of adding a couple of t5's for supplimentation. At this point, even with replacing 2 bulbs every 6 months, it would take a long time to pay for the sb's.

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree that the coverage is not as good as I had hoped. The new lens design is definitely superior over the previous models. But even with 6 of these over a 6'x2'x2' tank, there are shading issues which is why I even started looking into this in the first place. I get less shading with my single mars box over my 20 Long frag tank. :( It's just hard to walk away from radions because I've used them for 8 years and it "feels" like they should perform better?

You are kind of summarizing my experience. I had two Radions. Realized I would need 3-4 for coverage but even then would probably have some shading. I bought a 16" SB for my sump and it out performed the Radions in meeting my expectations.

There are features to the Radions that make them the class of the industry, IF you highly value those features. But those techie programmable features was not what I was needing from my lighting.
I did have some beautiful sps with the Radions. They can and do produce results. My basic belief is that more can be gained through husbandry then through lighting changes. But, I also believe that high costs and lots of buzzers and bells are not required for colorful, growing sps. Those features are for the reefer, not the reef.

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have this much invested, have you thought of adding a couple of t5's for supplimentation. At this point, even with replacing 2 bulbs every 6 months, it would take a long time to pay for the sb's.

This is actually a very good observation and suggestion!

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is your name F3honda4me a play on formula open wheel racing?

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought each of these lights second hand, some of them still sealed in the box, so if I sell them now I'd lose very little if anything. T5 isn't an option though because to be honest I just don't have the space to cram that in there as well in the canopy. I guess what it comes down to is, will my SPS grow just as well under the SB reef lights as they do my radions. I get some really nice growth on my SPS because I do feel I have good husbandry skills and have my tank in a good balance.

Is your name F3honda4me a play on formula open wheel racing?
It's in reference to my motorcycle days, I had an F3 honda bike as my first ever motorcycle.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise the SB can and do grow and color SPS very well. I have been using mine for about a year and a half and I am local to Mike and get to see his 560 gallon display that is full of colorful sps, basically whenever I want.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise the SB can and do grow and color SPS very well. I have been using mine for about a year and a half and I am local to Mike and get to see his 560 gallon display that is full of colorful sps, basically whenever I want.
Thank you!

FL-Reefer-addict352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got radion g4s over my frag and my display tank and I couldnt be happier it grows and colors sps, and Lps without any problems

FL-Reefer-addict352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in that regard radions are more expensive for a reason a Toyota will get you from point a to point b but if you want performance you buy a high end sports car

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back