Rainbow Montipora - Looking Sad...

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon cube that I started back in February. Things have been going very well except a couple of small things I'm troubleshooting with one or two coral frags.

Recent Test Results:

Nitrate: 1.5ppm
Ammonia & Nitrite: 0ppm
Calcium: 430ppm
Alk: 8.4dkh
Magnesium: 1500
PH: 8.1
Phosphate: 0ppm (Salifert)

Problem:
So the encrusting Rainbow Monti frag I got in this tank has been my trouble child. I can't seem to find the right placement or do anything to get its polyps to extend fully. The flesh is still a nice lavender/purple color (not as dark as when I got it), but the polyps are pretty much retracted and it is looking sad.

Lighting:
I have a Hydra26HD running about 12" above the water line at 50% blues, 40% violet, 20% UV, 14% whites, and 7% green and red. Light cycle starts at 11am ramping for two hours to these settings then begins a two hour ramp down at 5pm. I then run 5% blues only for about an hour. Due to my LFS recommendations, I first placed it in high flow and high light close to the center and about 16" below the light in the beginning. She said it might lose vivid colors if I don't keep it in high light. It did well for about a month before the polyps started retracting near where there was some new growth starting to spread. Slowly over the next few weeks less and less polyps were showing in different places on the coral and the flesh was looking a little lighter. I decided to move it down in the tank to the midway point probably 24" below the light and about 6" off from the center where there is still some pretty decent flow. I thought it might be bleaching. Conditions haven't really improved in the past 2-3 weeks so I'm thinking it may not have been lighting/flow problem. Although, it may be worth noting that my orange monti cap has been showing slight signs of bleaching/fading on the older tissue only, the new growth is bright orange and polyps are still extended on the whole coral. I thought that was worth mentioning. All other corals (acropora, stylophora, duncan, goni, blastomussa, micromussa, nepthea, and euphyllia) seem unaffected by whatever this issue is.

Nutrients:
I don't have what I would consider high nutrients, so I'm thinking it might be that my nutrients are too low? I recently got some Reef Energy A & B and have recently started dosing a small amount under the recommended dosage to see if that might help. It has been about a week with daily doses and the only thing that has really changed is I get a slight haze of brown film algae on the glass quicker than I used to. My other corals, including my blue acropora, are growing faster, but no change to the rainbow monti. My nitrate and phosphate levels really haven't moved and have stayed pretty constant at my posted parameters. I doubt I'm really at a perfect zero phosphate since I slowly get that brown algae film on the glass.

Foundation Elements:
My Calcium has been solid between 420-440 for the last few months. My alk has moved around between 7.5-9.0 very slowly (no rapid swings) as I've figured out the best dosage for my Kalk in the ATO over the last 3 months. I occasionally will do very small doses of Red Sea Foundation A or B to make very slow corrections in my Calcium and Alk if needed, but it has been fairly solid at 8.4 for the last few weeks. My magnesium hasn't budged from 1500 in 3 months; rock solid. I do weekly 10-15% water changes with Coral Pro Salt.

I recently decided to put the Hydra in acclimation mode a reduce lighting by 30% and slowly ramp back up over the next 6 weeks. I'm still supplementing the reef energy just to be consistent and see if that can assist with getting the polyps to extend and color to return. Any ideas as to what might be the case for this downward spiral in my rainbow monti? It is definitely one of my dream corals to keep, but lately it just looks like a lavender yogurt drop with some itty bitty yellow/green dots where the polyps don't extend fully.

Thank you all for your time. I know there are plenty of people on here who can help troubleshoot this issue!

Best Regards

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some images for reference.

Full tank.
The rainbown monti.
The orange monti (slight bleaching on old tissue)

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

Rick cowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my thoughts, usually you acclimate them completely opposite of what they told you, start low and work your way up, also, you stated 14% for white on your lights, is that the max you have them set for? If it is,imho, it's way to low, I usually run my whites at max at about 60% for two hours and then ramp down, I also spot feed reef droids, my corals love it.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response!

I had the whites higher previously, but I heard the whites on the Hydra 26HD were pretty intense. When viewing the 20k setting on the AI app, the whites are only 20% of the power of the blues, violet, and UV (so 10% white if blues are at 50%). So I figured if I wanted like a 18k or 15k kelvin light, I wouldn't really go over 20% whites if I had the blues at 50%. Do you really think the lack of warmer light spectrum could cause a coral to fade and not extend its polyps?

For feeding Reef Roids, I do have a sample that I've tried. With the polyps not open on the Rainbow Monti, I'm not sure how much effect it will have with the polyps retracted. I'm just thinking it might be something other than feeding since some people have success with these corals without intentional feeding. Just a lot of variables to consider...

Rick cowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, a lot of variables, I like to keep mine simple, I try to duplicate the spectrum intensity of the sun. After all most of the corals we have, are in the shallow water zone,and sometimes exposed at low tide. The monties I keep are near the top, and their colors are vibrant ,just my experience with these corals. In the captive environment and the wild.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply again!

Just because I'm not a huge proponent of a lot of changes at once, I'll add warming the light spectrum to the list to try if I don't see any results feeding the corals and lowering light intensity in a few weeks.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I can see that the rainbow monti and monti cap are getting color back slowly and polyp extension is more apparent. I can already see progress from reducing lighting slightly and increasing nutrients through feeding. I'm starting to think I was on the right track that they were bleaching from too much light. Perhaps they just needed longer to acclimate to my lighting before being put under high light. Time will tell if they keep looking better over the next few days.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Energy and my corals love it.
You are on the right track by bringing your phos. and nitrates up.

The monti will tell you how much light it needs.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Micromussa, Acro, and Blasto have the best feeding response from Reef Energy! I can tell they are loving it. Since I started it a week ago, the Micromussa has three new heads forming (currently only has three)! My Blasto also has a new head forming!

I think I really just need some more fish too. Since that will consistently contribute to nutrients. I just have two small clowns and a flame hawk in there right now.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Micromussa, Acro, and Blasto have the best feeding response from Reef Energy! I can tell they are loving it. Since I started it a week ago, the Micromussa has three new heads forming (currently only has three)! My Blasto also has a new head forming!

I think I really just need some more fish too. Since that will consistently contribute to nutrients. I just have two small clowns and a flame hawk in there right now.
Your on the right track but take it slow. One fish at a time and watch your phos. and nitrates to see how much that one fish brings up those two parameters over time.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I'll hold off for a while. I'd like to see more coral growth for a couple months before I get another fish.

Rick cowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I can see that the rainbow monti and monti cap are getting color back slowly and polyp extension is more apparent. I can already see progress from reducing lighting slightly and increasing nutrients through feeding. I'm starting to think I was on the right track that they were bleaching from too much light. Perhaps they just needed longer to acclimate to my lighting before being put under high light. Time will tell if they keep looking better over the next few days.
I'm glad they're coloring up again, sounds like you've got it under control

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more variable I've now realized I forgot to mention... my magnesium levels have slowly been creeping up (I'm not dosing anything) to about 1600. Any idea if that could be having an effect on the issues I've been dealing with?

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things started to look better for just a few days before turning worse. Now the rainbow monti has zero polyp extension and brown algae has started growing on it. I'll probably have to count it as a loss.

My acro and monti cap are both still very faded and I'm worried they are next...

I've checked for bugs at night and I can't see any pests and there are no signs of them either (no oval bite marks or patchy bleaching). All my LPS and softies are doing just fine. No idea what is causing this. Hoping I'll learn something so I can try sps at some time again in the future.

js1620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the exact same problems as you. And we have a very similar tank and equipment. I hope we can figure out whats going on, except Im having issues with my acros along with my rainbow monti

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the exact same problems as you. And we have a very similar tank and equipment. I hope we can figure out whats going on, except Im having issues with my acros along with my rainbow monti

The biggest thing for me was that I put my corals in high light right away before they got used to the change in spectrum. I recently got a orange digitata and I started it on the bottom slowly moving it up every 5 days or so. So far so good. Color and polyp extension remain good!

Mangelotta1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue now... My tank is very similar is parameters. My seasonss greetings is Browning out but I still have polyps extension?!? I'm at a lost. I've tested everytjing. I cannot find an explanation. Any thoughts?

Mangelotta1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue now... My tank is very similar is parameters. My seasonss greetings is Browning out but I still have polyps extension?!? I'm at a lost. I've tested everytjing. I cannot find an explanation. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are your test results?

Nitrate, Phosphate, Alk, Calcium, Magnesium?

I’ve found after quite a bit of time that I had too low of a bio load and I was over skimming and not feeding enough in combination with too much light. I stripped the water too clean and my more sensitive corals bleached and faded to a light brown and lost polyp extension as a result. After giving my tank some more time to mature, adding a few fish, and feeding more, my sps I’ve added since are all doing great!

Two other things that might have been factors in maturing my tank were dosing live Phytoplankton and copepods as well as dosing Aquavitro Fuel twice a week. I noticed a huge difference with this in combination with keeping Nitrate steady at 2-5ppm and Alk at 9.5. The higher nutrients allowed me to drive my lights higher over time too and growth/color has increased in my sps.

Hopefully this will help give you some ideas as to what is going on with your tank! But there is hope! Don’t give up!

Best Regards

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back