Random fish deaths

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m more of a coral guy than a fish guy and have no experience with fish diseases. I have a 40b with a maroon clown and a watchman goby. The last two fish I had were a damsel (lasted 3 days) and a six line (lasted 3 weeks). After looking at every option on what is going wrong with newly introduced fish my best guess is the clownfish attacked but I didn’t see any signs of torn fins or aggression. The symptoms of both fish were gasping for air and they both died within a day of the symptoms there was no spots or red gills. My clown attacks my hands but I’ve never seen aggression towards other fish, the clown and sixline literally swam together All day long like they were friends. I had no major parameter problems other than .25 ammonia and my clown and watchman are complely Fine which makes me think there was no parameter issue or disease. The wrasse was bigger and faster than the clown I don’t see why it would have gotten attacked. Wouldn’t the fish have shown symptoms of disease longer than a 6-10 hours? I also heard damsels are extremely hard to kill and it died. Please help me get to the bottom of this!

Picture of wrasse In it’s final moments.

0FDAFB14-465F-43F0-9DD6-4EF0E01C4E3B.png

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish industry is rampant with a combination of velvet that is attacking the gills unseen and a nasty bacterial infection as well. So the current plan is for dosing your QT with a chelated copper like Copper Power at 1.o ppm immediately and then ramping up to therapeutic of 1.5-2.0 (most are shooting for 1.75 ppm) and to also dose with a product like Spectrogram, which is a mix of Kanaplex and Furan2 but it a bit easier to use as a mix. This new protocol appears to be working well at combating the current disease situation. Sorry for you losses :(

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish industry is rampant with a combination of velvet that is attacking the gills unseen and a nasty bacterial infection as well. So the current plan is for dosing your QT with a chelated copper like Copper Power at 1.o ppm immediately and then ramping up to therapeutic of 1.5-2.0 (most are shooting for 1.75 ppm) and to also dose with a product like Spectrogram, which is a mix of Kanaplex and Furan2 but it a bit easier to use as a mix. This new protocol appears to be working well at combating the current disease situation. Sorry for you losses :(
Thanks for your help I don’t know anything about fish diseases can velvet and bacterial infection kill fish as fast as mine died? I went back to the lfs that sold me the damsel and they had 6 damsels that are still alive. Should I take my maroon clown and watchman goby out of my display tank and put them in a qt and medicate even if they seem to be healthy?

ws6driver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m more of a coral guy than a fish guy and have no experience with fish diseases. I have a 40b with a maroon clown and a watchman goby. The last two fish I had were a damsel (lasted 3 days) and a six line (lasted 3 weeks). After looking at every option on what is going wrong with newly introduced fish my best guess is the clownfish attacked but I didn’t see any signs of torn fins or aggression. The symptoms of both fish were gasping for air and they both died within a day of the symptoms there was no spots or red gills. My clown attacks my hands but I’ve never seen aggression towards other fish, the clown and sixline literally swam together All day long like they were friends. I had no major parameter problems other than .25 ammonia and my clown and watchman are complely Fine which makes me think there was no parameter issue or disease. The wrasse was bigger and faster than the clown I don’t see why it would have gotten attacked. Wouldn’t the fish have shown symptoms of disease longer than a 6-10 hours? I also heard damsels are extremely hard to kill and it died. Please help me get to the bottom of this!

Picture of wrasse In it’s final moments.

0FDAFB14-465F-43F0-9DD6-4EF0E01C4E3B.png
I'm a newbie, but I'll offer my limited experience and knowledge. watchman gobies are very hardy against diseases and parasites in my brief experience. I had ich all over other fish, but not a single speck on the goby. I'm currently treating one only because I'm afraid that even though a disease might not bother him, it might be incredibly difficult to my other fish. Some fish are more susceptible to diseases than others. I would take out all fish you have and do a quarantine. Let the main tank go fallow for 3 months at least. I've heard varying recommendations, from 72 days to 100. I would do at least 90 to be safe. This is what other member recommended. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/
By the way, even though I found gobies to be hardy against parasites and disease, I also found them to be more sensitive to copper.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie, but I'll offer my limited experience and knowledge. watchman gobies are very hardy against diseases and parasites in my brief experience. I had ich all over other fish, but not a single speck on the goby. I'm currently treating one only because I'm afraid that even though a disease might not bother him, it might be incredibly difficult to my other fish. Some fish are more susceptible to diseases than others. I would take out all fish you have and do a quarantine. Let the main tank go fallow for 3 months at least. I've heard varying recommendations, from 72 days to 100. I would do at least 90 to be safe. This is what other member recommended. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/
By the way, even though I found gobies to be hardy against parasites and disease, I also found them to be more sensitive to copper.
Thanks for the advice I didn’t even think about that! Do you think I can put my clown and goby both in a 10 qt together?

ws6driver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice I didn’t even think about that! Do you think I can put my clown and goby both in a 10 qt together?
Clownfish and watchman goby? I can't see why not. I provided a small cichlid cave for comfort. Someone smarter than me can advise whether the two fish can be kept together in a qt. Don't use cupramine. I saw no appetite loss or ill behavior in my clownfish, but my goby freaked out and actually jumped out of the tank. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quarantine-for-watchman-goby.524309/

ws6driver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you already thought of this or know about this, but if you go through all that trouble of making sure your main tank and clown and goby are parasite free and disease free, I would go through the same protocol for future additions.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’ll be good to go. Good luck and keep us posted!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help I don’t know anything about fish diseases can velvet and bacterial infection kill fish as fast as mine died? I went back to the lfs that sold me the damsel and they had 6 damsels that are still alive. Should I take my maroon clown and watchman goby out of my display tank and put them in a qt and medicate even if they seem to be healthy?

Yes, and yes.

~Bruce

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet wiped my entire tank (except for the six line, Watchman Goby and Firefish) in days. Tangs, Angels, clowns.... all gone within hours of doing what your six line is doing in your picture. Velvet is a wicked disease. Good luck!

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet wiped my entire tank (except for the six line, Watchman Goby and Firefish) in days. Tangs, Angels, clowns.... all gone within hours of doing what your six line is doing in your picture. Velvet is a wicked disease. Good luck!
Thank you! It blew my mind that the fish only looked sick for a few hours before it’s death but i guess anything is possible, what did you do to keep the goby alive? Maybe I have velvet in my tank but the maroon and goby aren’t as sensitive to it?

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to find spectrogram what website did you get it on?
ant s

ws6driver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It blew my mind that the fish only looked sick for a few hours before it’s death but i guess anything is possible, what did you do to keep the goby alive? Maybe I have velvet in my tank but the maroon and goby aren’t as sensitive to it?
I think gobies are just more resistant or resilient to parasites. I think it has to do with the fact they stay near the bottom of the sea floor where ich and other parasites come from. I have an untreated nano tank where I only keep clown gobies and a watchman goby. It is the tank where I never had an issue.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think gobies are just more resistant or resilient to parasites. I think it has to do with the fact they stay near the bottom of the sea floor where ich and other parasites come from. I have an untreated nano tank where I only keep clown gobies and a watchman goby. It is the tank where I never had an issue.
Many gobies and wrasse have thick slime coats which helps protect them for some time.

Sorry for the trouble I echo the sentiments about the treatment methods and how bad the state of the distribution system is for fish. Your fish will come sick. Not quarantining is a disaster, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many gobies and wrasse have thick slime coats which helps protect them for some time.

Sorry for the trouble I echo the sentiments about the treatment methods and how bad the state of the distribution system is for fish. Your fish will come sick. Not quarantining is a disaster, unfortunately.
Just picked up some copper and will be quarantining the survivors tonight should I run any other medication?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up some copper and will be quarantining the survivors tonight should I run any other medication?
I’d stock up on Spectogram or kanaplex metroplex and furan 2. Metroplex and copper can sometimes cause blooms but if you have infection concerns kanaplex and furan 2 are the safest in copper.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back