Random Flow Generator issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe @Vivid Creative Aquatics is a sponsor on here. Maybe they will chime into this thread now that I have tagged them.
Thank for looping us in on this - we don't alwasy see threads such as this unless someone tags us - so thank you!

Just an update, emailed them exactly a week ago and still haven't hear back.
I've looked through our customer support inquiries emails but don't see one that matches your issue. Not sure what happened there - I apologize for that. We definitely want to help, so if you could call us, that would be the fastest way to handle this issue.

You (or anyone with a questions or issues) can reach us at: 623-233-6908, M-S, 8am to 5pm MST

Alternately, you can also reach out to us at form your contact form at:

I also just want to put this out there - for anyone else that may have issue, no matter where you purchased our products, whether at an LFS, an online retailer or directly from us, we are more than happy to provide direct support. In fact we prefer it

Antonio….

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to rely on a syphon break.
In most cases you don't need to worry about the siphon break. It really comes down to how you position the RFG nozzles. You could actually get them pretty close to the surface of the water By following just a couple of simple installation guidelines

RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

Calculating Gallons needed for Drain Back
The other thing you want to do is you want to calculate how many gallons of water per inch your display tank holds, and then compare that to how many gallons of reserve space you have in sump.

This is pretty easy

Display Tank Gallons per inch
(L x W) / 231 = Gallons of water per inch

Sump Gallons of Reserve Space

In the sump area, it’s a little bit more complicated, but essentially the same process.

Here’s, how I calculate reserve space - I measured the sump length (L) and width (W) . Then, because the water levels are different heights within the various sump chambers I will usually just make a conservative estimate by take a visual average of the water levels across the entire sump. Then measure the distance from that point to the top of the sup (D).

The calculation is then:

(L x W X D) / 231 = Estimated Gallons of Reserve Space

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention that Antonio mentioned to me that they received a bad batch of plastic around the time I purchased mine. So if yours broke give him a call, he is also expending so check out his website.
I ordered my replacements and am a happy future customer.
Thank you!

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention that Antonio mentioned to me that they received a bad batch of plastic around the time I purchased mine. So if yours broke give him a call, he is also expending so check out his website.
I ordered my replacements and am a happy future customer.
Thank you!
Just wondering how expensive would it be to just injection mold them?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how expensive would it be to just injection mold them?

We have looked into this - what we have found is the patented internal design of the Random Flow Generator simply does not lend itself to an injection molding process. Injection molding has some limitations in terms of what can be molded and what can't. The most basic of which is you have to have two halves of the mold, or tooling, that can be separated to release the part.

The internal design of the Random Flow Generator (the parts that makes it actually work) just doesn't lend itself to this process.

With that said, there are other injection mold processes such as two-shot and multi process, and sonic welding of multiple parts that could “potentially” maintain the unique internal design of the RFG. We have had this quoted a few times. The closest we could get in terms of costs was at least three to four times the per unit cost of our current manufacturing process – and that was without calculating in the tooling for something like that, which was substantial.

If we could cost effectively manufacture the Random Flow Generator though injection molding, we absolutely would. As it stands right now, we constantly strive to make the best possible product via additive manufacturing that we can, and we stand behind it 100%. If anyone has issues, just reach out to us we'll do everything we can take care of you :)

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having the same problem except it split where the seam is. I wonder if it could be 3d printed out of titanium? Id pay more for one that lasts a really long time.

It woudl be pretty cool. IN fact we have looked into having a few RFGs printed in Titanium. We actually looked into for a project unrelated the aquarium hobby. it was exceeding expensive - at least at the time.

It was few years ago and pricing may have come down since that time, given recent advancements

In the meantime - please do reach out to us via DM or email and we'll get you taken care of with a replacement :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back