Random Flow Generators: How many of you use them?

How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator?

• I currently am using them

Votes: 239 36.7%
  • I have used them in the past

Votes: 47 7.2%
  • I have never used them

Votes: 241 37.0%
  • I am just now learning about them

Votes: 104 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 3.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These Random Flow Generators from Vivid Creative Aquatics are so affordable and effective I thought they deserved a QOTD feature! Plus we can talk about other ways to get random flow!

What are they? This is from the VCA website: "The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle. by Vivid Creative Aquatics can dramatically change the way water moves around your aquarium. With the RFG Nozzle you can produce a more natural flow pattern while also simplifying your flow solution. The RFG has not moving parts, which means it is reliable and durable in the harsh environmental conditions inside your reef tanks."

So let's talk about them and your experience!

1. How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator and what are your thoughts on them?

2. What other ways have you been able to accomplish "random flow" in your reef aquarium?

RFG075_2-pack.jpg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reach out to a 3rd party with a 3D printer who can print the original design of the RFG... I do suggest anyone with an AIO that wants to avoid cluttered powerheads in the display check them out! High flow rates work much better on these so it may be best to use 1 outlet rather than a Y outlet.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used one and like many things in this hobby feel it is un necessary and maybe even detrimental. I am not the God of random flow but I have been SCUBA almost since Cousteau invented the thing.
In most places in the sea the flow is in one direction except in very shallow water near the surf.
If you have dove in many places in the Caribbean, the flow goes one way. It certainly does not change every second. The tide in the tropics is very small so it hardly affects flow and if it did, like here in the North the water only changes direction every 6 hours so every 6 hours I reveres my powerheads. :rolleyes:

I think a stronger flow in one direction is better. I have powerheads on opposite ends of my 6' long tank and when the flow merges in the center of the tank it makes a random flow. The fish that like that, can live there if they like. I can see it being more valuable in a small tank or spawning tank.
Just my opinion of course (Sorry people who make the device)

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them in the past with limited success due to slower flow. I am currently using them on my new build in hopes of eliminating powerheads in the tank. This system will have several anemones (BTA and Haddoni) so I am trying to eliminate powerheads. Flow through the sump will be higher than typical, but I think it will work well.

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair on my Evo 13.5 with sicce 0.5 (185GPH)return pump. I’m more towards the minimum flow rate for 2. I too am trying to eliminate power heads and seem happy for now. I have on pointed to the surface and do see a change in the flow. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• D4AA8506-AB62-4498-8744-D1725A8E7F5F.jpeg
    D4AA8506-AB62-4498-8744-D1725A8E7F5F.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 297

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair to replace the IM spin-steam that came with my tank. The spin-steam have a few moving parts and get stuck from time to time. I figure I would try these out but still have them sealed in their package...

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair on my Evo 13.5 with sicce 0.5 (185GPH)return pump. I’m more towards the minimum flow rate for 2. I too am trying to eliminate power heads and seem happy for now. I have on pointed to the surface and do see a change in the flow. Hope this helps!
I use the Sicce 1.0. I guess the additional flow helps as I can water the polyps move.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one on an old Reefer Nano tank as the sole source of flow and it worked well. I had a Tunze 1073.050 running at full whack and you could see the flow swirling around. At lower speeds, the action is much less pronounced. On my current set up I prefer much less turnover in the sump so the RFG is shelved for now.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my wave makers come with random flow settings.
I also use manual timers to turn off certain flows completely like at feeding times. I also use these to create a “night” mode, 10x instead of 40-50x turnover, so my fish have some peace.

I think random flow is crucial for my tanks success as the variable flows patterns intersect at different points and constantly keep that detritus in all areas of the tank up in the column for export.

The ever changing flows look great on corals.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator and what are your thoughts on them?

never used them.

2. What other ways have you been able to accomplish "random flow" in your reef aquarium?

DC return and Gyres
and yes, Mr. B is correct about the currents going one way in real life.... except that one time I was diving in the Bahama's at sixty feet and the storm surge was so bad the sea fans were rocking and rolling back and forth.
which meant I too was rocking back and forth. and since I are susceptible to motion sickness the fish got fed.;Vomit

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Sicce 1.0. I guess the additional flow helps as I can water the polyps move.
I started off with the 1.0 then switched to the 0.5 because for my aqua scape it was too much flow. Now I am thinking of going back because I’m not sure I’m getting proper flow.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with the 1.0 then switched to the 0.5 because for my aqua scape it was too much flow. Now I am thinking of going back because I’m not sure I’m getting proper flow.

MJ1200 also worked for me when they were being made. Ran single RFG for a while and might go back to it.

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think they're a gimmick (I've used them before as well). They might do something small, but I'd rather invest money into powerheads than rely on my return for the main flow in the tank. They're not like eductors or anything of that nature (which are great).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back