Random Flow Generators: How many of you use them?

How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator?

• I currently am using them

Votes: 239 36.7%
  • I have used them in the past

Votes: 47 7.2%
  • I have never used them

Votes: 241 37.0%
  • I am just now learning about them

Votes: 104 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 3.1%

• Total voters

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently setup my IM20 Drop Off tank and am using the VCA RFG with the upgraded Mighty Jet return pump and am very impressed with the flow pattern for this tank. I am currently running the return pump set at 10w used, as 15w was way too much flow. I may not need to add a powerhead in this tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work hard to avoid random flow in my system which is one reason I love gyres. I let one side run for 45 minutes than the other with just a brief period of ramp between them.
Velocity is king when it comes to flow. It takes velocity at the coral to get a proper exchange of waste and nutrients. Random flow is the enemy of velocity.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using one in my RSM 130D as the upgrade circulation pump is not adjustable (flow) and WAYYYYY to strong. It helps but still way too strong. No matter how I position the tip or aquascape it blasts my corals. Matter a fact I believe that is what is killing my fav. frogspawn. I need to order an adjustable circulation/return pump but trying to find one that fits that chamber in the RSM 130D has been a challenge (just ordered one from saltwater aquarium.com and was too big cost me $11.35 to ship it back to them guess I should of read the measurements b4 I ordered!)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the VCA RPG, and I really like the random flow. It is not just the intermittent more flow and less flow patterns, but actual flow direction also changes (up to a point). This is the best part of the RPG.

I have seen a LFS removed several MP60s and replaced them with the RPGs and larger return pumps, the flow looks amazing.
We have a local store (I'm sure you know them :) ) that run thier entier shop with RFG nozzles

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Random Flow Generators from Vivid Creative Aquatics are so affordable and effective I thought they deserved a QOTD feature! Plus we can talk about other ways to get random flow!

What are they? This is from the VCA website: "The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle. by Vivid Creative Aquatics can dramatically change the way water moves around your aquarium. With the RFG Nozzle you can produce a more natural flow pattern while also simplifying your flow solution. The RFG has not moving parts, which means it is reliable and durable in the harsh environmental conditions inside your reef tanks."

So let's talk about them and your experience!

1. How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator and what are your thoughts on them?

2. What other ways have you been able to accomplish "random flow" in your reef aquarium?

RFG075_2-pack.jpg
I purchased 2 and they were too loose to stay on the locline.

JJMS86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 RFG on my 80 gal IM tank for well over a year now. I was having issues with (a split) rose anemones that kept moving around the tank after I installed a gyre. They never found a "perfect" spot until after these RFG went in. I have 2 RFG attached right at the top and 2 with extensions to force water randomly into the back bottom corners of the tank. That keeps detritus in the water column and not building up on the sand. They do just enough movement to break up the random flow of the gyre, so the anemones are thrilled and have stayed in the exact same spots for almost an entire year, causing way fewer issues with my clown (hosting both) and my corals.
Also, for the first time ever I've been able to keep a birdsnest coral alive. It may be a coincidence, who knows with this hobby.

Just FYI-- the RFG replaced my original IM spinstreams, which were great, but required much more weekly maintence and all eventually broke because the plastic got brittle.
I definitely recommend them to help not overpower the tank scape with powerheads!

Attachments

• 20210210_170848.jpg
    20210210_170848.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210210_170951.jpg
    20210210_170951.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 38

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 and they were too loose to stay on the locline.
You'll want to make sure you have genuine Loc-Line branded modualr hose. Otherwise they may ntop fit. Genuine Loc-Line will have the words "LOC-LINE" embosed on each segment.

If you don't have Loc-Line, then we do make a a few different adapters and modular hose converts that will fix that issue. Sned us a DM, and we'll be happy to help on this.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use two of them in my 75g reef and recommend them for many applications. One note of caution: I did lose a slow swimming fish or two that got sucked into the eductor so I now have them wrapped in large pore sponge tubes that are made for pre-filters. This hasn't impacted the functionality and have had no further issues with the fish.
The sponge trick works really well for smaller fisnd AND to allow you to put the RFGs right at the surface. The onyl drawback being you do need to clean the sponge often.

For anyeone who is intersted, We do have a video on how to add the sponge

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to make sure you have genuine Loc-Line branded modualr hose. Otherwise they may ntop fit. Genuine Loc-Line will have the words "LOC-LINE" embosed on each segment.

If you don't have Loc-Line, then we do make a a few different adapters and modular hose converts that will fix that issue. Sned us a DM, and we'll be happy to help on this.
I never looked . its an aqueon overflow kit so probably not locline branded. Although the locline pliers work well on it.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the 1” RFG on my 225 peninsula tank. I have two separate return pumps and each one have a 1”RFG on it.
I also have two MP60 and two FX 350 gyres in the tank too. Plenty of flow.
I can see the water when it brakes the surface from the RFG nozzle. They were a bit pricy but I can see the move to from them so it’s alright.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never looked . its an aqueon overflow kit so probably not locline branded. Although the locline pliers work well on it.
yep - those tanks generally use SnapLoc branded hose, which is very close, but just different enough that the RFG will snap on, but be loose.

Your options would be to replace the hose with genuine 3/4in loc-Line or use our 27mm to 3/4in module hose converts.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep - those tanks generally use SnapLoc branded hose, which is very close, but just different enough that the RFG will snap on, but be loose.

Your options would be to replace the hose with genuine 3/4in loc-Line or use our 27mm to 3/4in module hose converts.
Thank you for the info. Once I start getting some coral in my tank I may need the extra randomness to the flow so I might have to grab those adapters. I still have the RFG's in my plumbing tote. Also good info for other folks who might have a similar issue.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 1” RFG nozzles on my 225 peninsula tank. I run dual return pumps and each one has a 1”RFG on it. I can tell there pushing water around cause the water brakes the surface randomly.
i also run two MP60s and two FX350 gyres so there’s plenty of flow. I mean for the money there okay. But would I buy them for a smaller tank probably not since there wouldn’t be enough pump to make that big of a difference in the randomness of the water

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator and what are your thoughts on them?

Although I have used them before, My main tank came with 7 of them as it has 7 return lines to the tank. Its a love/hate experience. At times they spit air and water mix , and at other times really moves turbulance.

2. What other ways have you been able to accomplish "random flow" in your reef aquarium?

I have 3 WAV pump that in a sense of speaking which clashes with each other causing turbulence effect

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sitting on my desk awaiting installation in the new build. I looked at the folks on Etsy nd Ebay selling the 3 D Printer versions in bright and shiny colors. They cost as much as the OG.
I like softies and the ebb and flow makes my waving hand xenia well... wave it's hands. When the flow is too focused in one directed, the tentacles stretch out really long like spaghetti.
I have the Sicci SCC 9.0 return pump going in on a dual 1" return. I'm unsure if adding a UV will mess with the volume too much to use the RFG on both returns but I will soon find out.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed a Random Flow Generator - VCA split into two on my Reefer 170 using an Ecotech M1 Vectra return pump.

I normally run the pump at 60% (it is way too big/powerful for my size of tank!) and I now bumped it up to 100% to get some meaningful 'randomness' in the flow.

I am quite happy with it (bit pricey though I think for $70 CAD since its literally just plastic pieces) as it has increased the flow in my tank and feels like the randomness has more coverage to eliminate dead spots that had little to no flow.

However, I'm sure the fact that I have an oversized return pump and went from one outlet to two outlets instead also play a factor in this. If there was a cheaper non randomized flow version, i'd just go with that!

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using 2 on my 120 for the past year and was pretty happy with the performance, but last week one broke at the connection to the loc line. It seems to have gotten brittle perhaps from the combination of the salt water and lights.

Mkissane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them in my main 180 gal tank and 50 gal frag tank. I like the flow pattern they create which supplements the MP40s. It surely does not hurt in my opinion. The quality is very good on the 4 I have purchased.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back