Random Inkbird issues???/

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO got home last night, and found a clown dead in the 125. Test water, and PH 8.2 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 10, so it was not a issue with the water quality. Wrasses, cant be found, and appear to be hiding... SO i feed, and hawkish eats a bit but doesn't move much, so im racking my brain. Start doing some looking. Somehow, my Inkbird has kicked on my cooling fans, and i look at my set temp of 78, and it says its 79.3 in the tank... so i stick my hand in to test. There is no way in the world its that i think. water feels colder than usual, so i check my titanium heaters. i dont feel any voltage at that point, so i unplug the heaters, and do some more testing. The temp appears to be still rising, so i bypass the ink bird and throw some extra glass heaters in the sump that i have to get me by until i figure out next steps.

Anyone else have any trouble or ideas if its bad, or if its just really off calibration randomly? I mean my tank maybe was 60 or 65, and it said 79.3. thankfully i caught it when i got home from work, but i lost a flame angel., and a maroon clown in the process :(

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought it in may, installed it when i got that system wet in like august or so. its been fine. I really bought it for the cold side so in the summer months ( we live in TN) if the basement gets too hot, or it gets too hot from the T5s id be good.. what did you replace with? Im considering just buying 2 aqueon pros and tossing them in the sump.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a finnex heater controller to test, but haven't installed it yet. If it works out I'll buy a couple more for my other tank systems.
There is a thread here somewhere that talks about replacing Inkbird temp probe, which apparently is not saltwater rated. I may try that modification and use it on a frag system.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im kind of now leary of the inkbird. I have 900 watts of the no controller finnex heaters, so idk what happened to be honest, but at this point the 125 with a 125 gallon sump is running on 2 glass heaters, which i guess is better than nothing...

phlibbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had mine slowly creep higher and higher until it read over 81 and it was really 76 in my tank. This happened over 4 months. I am now on my 2nd unit. They are so cheap if I get through a year with 3 or less im ok with it.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple heaters in every sump and tank (without controllers), none are powerful enough to overheat a tank, but they will help to maintain the temp.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had mine slowly creep higher and higher until it read over 81 and it was really 76 in my tank. This happened over 4 months. I am now on my 2nd unit. They are so cheap if I get through a year with 3 or less im ok with it.
Mine lasted like 3 months of actual use...
I have multiple heaters in every sump and tank (without controllers), none are powerful enough to overheat a tank, but they will help to maintain the temp.
i was considering going either with this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hma-s-heater-w-analog-controller-finnex.html

or just a couple aqueon pro non glass. 2 of the 250s without a controller.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my inkbird controllers have a new location ……
th.jpg

I much prefer the Ranco; its more expensive, but not by all that much (though you do still need to put a sleeve over the probe to make it SW safe).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Inkbird is garbage. You need Ranco Controller, I've never heard of issues with one of these, especially the ones that come from AquaLogic with the titanium encapsulated probe.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless temp problems kills fish or corals …. then maybe not so OK with it :D
I lost a flame angel, and a maroon at least. I havent seen my fairy wrasse pair, and my hawkfish seemed ok when i left for work, so im hoping its slightly better when i get home, with some heat.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is exactly what I do with three Cobalt 100W Neotherms on a 53 gallon. If one sticks ON the other two cycle OFF, its not enough to overheat tank. If one dies, the other two will keep tank warm enough until I discover and replace.

At least that's my theory, LOL

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using inkbirds for a couple years and had been a big fan however both of mine have failed in the last few months almost causing a tank crash in one of my nanos when it drove temps down to like 70 deg.. I think the probe is failing due to the salt water so I may try replacing one and sealing it in a glass tube to prevent any water contact.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using inkbirds for a couple years and had been a big fan however both of mine have failed in the last few months almost causing a tank crash in one of my nanos when it drove temps down to like 70 deg.. I think the probe is failing due to the salt water so I may try replacing one and sealing it in a glass tube to prevent any water contact.
interesting. Mines been on that tank for maybe about 4 months at the most. I put it in place when i started cycling that tank. Tank got down to like 60 degrees id say, yet the darn thing said it was 79.3 and thought it needed the fans on... im seriously considering going back to standard heaters. 2 250 watters should do it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back