Random Inkbird issues???/

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 inkbirds. I have had issues with them when I was first using them. Operator error since now they are all working fine. Had them over 2 years. A backup way for checking is a good idea though with all tanks. I feel my glass every day. While not scientific I think I would notice it it was really off.

Shelley

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me worried about my InkBird... maybe I’ll use mine on my saltwater changing station and get the better one.

I have a strange feeling that my tank will crash due to a failing heater.. it’s just in my gut.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the inexpensive temp controllers I think it is always best to seal the probe with shrink tube / silicone.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like just dip it in the same silicone that i used to build my sump?
Yup, nice thick layer to seal it all up. Then I take a piece of shrink wrap and put it over that and fill the ends with silicone to really make sure it is waterproof, but that might be overkill....

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further update. THe company is sending their new model with a rubberized probe that was designed for aquariums. Doesnt have the cooling side, but is meant for what we do. Ill be glad to try this for them for sure. I wasnt getting anywhere with tech support, so i left a rather angry review, which got me in touch with the rep that deals with amazon and Inkbird. they are shipping me a new one no questions asked.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to use my inkbird in my fresh saltwater mixing station.

This is what I will be ordering:

Ranco ETC-111000-000 Prewired Digital Temperature Controller
Wire Guage (Singe Stage): 16 Guage - Standard With Power Strip (13 Amps/1500 Watts) [+$6.00]
Install PVC Heat Shrink On Sensor: 2 Foot [+$3.00]

It's going to cost me around $98.. Expensive but I think long term it will be worth it.

Im going to ask them to make the extension cord 3ft. because the picture looks way to large.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me know how that goes! Im going to use the one they send, but also have a second backup set in there in case of failure. The rubberized or updated probe seems to solve that issue, so we will see.

INKBIRD_official

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
SO got home last night, and found a clown dead in the 125. Test water, and PH 8.2 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 10, so it was not a issue with the water quality. Wrasses, cant be found, and appear to be hiding... SO i feed, and hawkish eats a bit but doesn't move much, so im racking my brain. Start doing some looking. Somehow, my Inkbird has kicked on my cooling fans, and i look at my set temp of 78, and it says its 79.3 in the tank... so i stick my hand in to test. There is no way in the world its that i think. water feels colder than usual, so i check my titanium heaters. i dont feel any voltage at that point, so i unplug the heaters, and do some more testing. The temp appears to be still rising, so i bypass the ink bird and throw some extra glass heaters in the sump that i have to get me by until i figure out next steps.

Anyone else have any trouble or ideas if its bad, or if its just really off calibration randomly? I mean my tank maybe was 60 or 65, and it said 79.3. thankfully i caught it when i got home from work, but i lost a flame angel., and a maroon clown in the process :(
There may be something wrong with the probe

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to use my inkbird in my fresh saltwater mixing station.

This is what I will be ordering:

Ranco ETC-111000-000 Prewired Digital Temperature Controller
Wire Guage (Singe Stage): 16 Guage - Standard With Power Strip (13 Amps/1500 Watts) [+$6.00]
Install PVC Heat Shrink On Sensor: 2 Foot [+$3.00]

It's going to cost me around $98.. Expensive but I think long term it will be worth it.

Im going to ask them to make the extension cord 3ft. because the picture looks way to large.
Did you get it? I’m considering ordering. How does that one work if you have multiple heaters? I only see one plug.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it? I’m considering ordering. How does that one work if you have multiple heaters? I only see one plug.

Hey,

I did get it. Seems like a well built unit. I bought a splitter on amazon that turns 1 cord into 2. Like a Y. I set it to turn off my heaters if it hits 80. I use NeoTherm heaters. They are .5 accurate with there internal thermostat. The best on the market. I use the controller just if one stays on. It has happened and they sent me a new heater as they come with a 3 year warranty.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back