Ratios for Dosing Copper Power

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing copper in the QT should I turn off my skimmer? I love that Hanna copper devise. Probably the safest most accurate available.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not run a skimmer in QT. If you do you have to monitor the copper closely while it's in use. And make sure to add predosed water with copper back in it's place.

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are also some simple guidelines if you don't want to do the math above or are using visual test methods.
This is a little less accurate than above (Just trying to keep from going out 10 decimal points), but will get you darn close.
1.48ml per gallon = 2.5ppm
1.33ml per gallon = 2.25ppm
1.18ml per gallon = 2.0ppm
1.04ml per gallon = 1.75ppm
.89ml per gallon = 1.5ppm

If you use this math above. If your TL is at 2.0ppm and you do a 5 gal water change why not dose 5.9ml=5x1.18 in your new batch of saltwater? Then just test both QT & new water to make sure they are the same.

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I take it I should run the minimum level for my flasher wrasse, I just got in my Hanna checker and the copper power should be here tomorrow. Also can I run API GC along with the copper or do I need to run them seperate.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated several wrasse at 1.75ppm without issue.

You can run general cure with copper, but if you do, you need ample/extra aeration. I personally wouldn't mix them unless you have a fish that you have done a FW dip on and confirmed flukes, and its bad enough that you don't think the fish will be able to survive copper without the treatment of flukes.

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated several wrasse at 1.75ppm without issue.

You can run general cure with copper, but if you do, you need ample/extra aeration. I personally wouldn't mix them unless you have a fish that you have done a FW dip on and confirmed flukes, and its bad enough that you don't think the fish will be able to survive copper without the treatment of flukes.
No he looks healthy I have seen no signs of distress. I have a 10 gallon qt with an HOB filter along with an airstone running.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he looks healthy I have seen no signs of distress. I have a 10 gallon qt with an HOB filter along with an airstone running.

Then I wouldn't mix. I would do the treatments separately.

Also a powerhead aimed upward breaking the surface is going to give you the most efficient form of oxygenation of the water.

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I wouldn't mix. I would do the treatments separately.

Also a powerhead aimed upward breaking the surface is going to give you the most efficient form of oxygenation of the water.
I can add a powerhead if needed have several laying around.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks so I know the consensus is API is unreliable (Hanna Copper is on the wish list) but based on your experience with Copper Power, Hanna and API have you found that the therapeutic level for copper power is much below 2.0 on the API color chart? I have found in my last two QT’s with it that I have to dose a good amount over mfg specs to get anywhere near 2.0 on API’s color card. Would like to know your thoughts on this after comparing with Hanna.

No Ill effects for me dosing up to the 2.0 “color” on API....yet....but I am currently QT’ing a flame angel and don’t want to push it

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test reads high IME. What looks like 2.0ppm to my eyes is higher. Now being that I have used it so much next the the Hanna checker I can probably be alot more accurate with the API. The problem with the API kit is the colors are all so close to one another it's hard to read.

You definitely don't need to overdose copper power. I have checked 9+ bottles and they always read exactly where they should following MFG dosing instructions.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test reads high IME. What looks like 2.0ppm to my eyes is higher. Now being that I have used it so much next the the Hanna checker I can probably be alot more accurate with the API. The problem with the API kit is the colors are all so close to one another it's hard to read.

You definitely don't need to overdose copper power. I have checked 9+ bottles and they always read exactly where they should following MFG dosing instructions.

Good info thanks. I’ll def keep my current QT where it’s at then because as of now, I’m over the mfg dose by about 10-15ml total showing higher than 1 but lower than 2 on API and fish are eating and don’t appear to be negatively affected. I don’t think I’m in overdose territory but most likely closer to 2.0

I have gone way over this in the past and haven’t lost a fish to it so there must be a decent tolerance “grey area.”

Really need to get a Hanna.

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so apparently there are 2 different Hanna Checkers do I need the High Range or the Low Range test?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so apparently there are 2 different Hanna Checkers do I need the High Range or the Low Range test?
You need the high range. HI702

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm great with numbers and still always come back to this post to reassure myself my dosing is accurate.

That being said... have you considered adding a couple lines to the initial post for water changes.

"A 5 gallon water change at a concentration of 1.75PPM would require 5.2ml"

Even if its easily assumed, it could help someone who is not great with multiplication.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks your math and calculations are dead on accurate! I used them last week with copper power in my qt and got the exact same numbers from the Hanna tester as the calculations you posted. Makes me feel more comfortable too about the Hanna readings when there is some math behind it to double check :)
Thanks for all the info and research!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back