Ratios for Dosing Copper Power

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start them in 1.50ppm and take them up to 2.0ppm over a few days.

I've never started anything that high. But with the apparent increasing resistance, I understand why.
Eventually it won't work though.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never started anything that high. But with the apparent increasing resistance, I understand why.
Eventually it won't work though.
I understand. Previously I always started at zero or 1.0ppm. Honestly though starting in the 1-1.5 range I have had more success than starting copper free.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I use the same process and Cu level for all fish. I've treated several Wrasse including leopards and anampses. Never have an issue.

I start them in 1.50ppm and take them up to 2.0ppm over a few days.
well im going to get my stuff tested again this week from a hanna at the local fish store, also have you ever seen or heard of this, my yellow tang been hiding non stop in little house i have in the QT, came out this morning and his dorsal fins right when it connects to the body look black/ brown? any idea what that is or how to heal it maybe

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well im going to get my stuff tested again this week from a hanna at the local fish store, also have you ever seen or heard of this, my yellow tang been hiding non stop in little house i have in the QT, came out this morning and his dorsal fins right when it connects to the body look black/ brown? any idea what that is or how to heal it maybe
It sounds like possible bacterial issue.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any way to help heal it during copper QT?
Can you upload pics? I am guessing hard to get if fish is hiding. You can add antibiotics to copper. Kanaplex and Furan-2. I want to make sure it is an infection though before you add them.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you upload pics? I am guessing hard to get if fish is hiding. You can add antibiotics to copper. Kanaplex and Furan-2. I want to make sure it is an infection though before you add them.
i shall try and update one at my lunch time and ill show you

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
realistically does my display tank need to be fishless for 6+ weeks or woule 3-4 be enough i see people saying 75 days fishless ...

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
realistically does my display tank need to be fishless for 6+ weeks or woule 3-4 be enough i see people saying 75 days fishless ...
6 weeks eliminates almost everything. There is a study out there that had ich surviving longer than six weeks which is where the 76day rule cones into play.

6 weeks is the minimum timeframe. Then it boils down to your personal tolerance for risk after that. I do use the 76 day rule my self.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 weeks eliminates almost everything. There is a study out there that had ich surviving longer than six weeks which is where the 76day rule cones into play.

6 weeks is the minimum timeframe. Then it boils down to your personal tolerance for risk after that. I do use the 76 day rule my self.
yikes thats a long time.. wish these darn stores would use a copper and treat their ichs to get rid of this nasty parasite for good off the markets

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can tell the small little side fins have black spots and I’ve noticed the the outline of the back tail and back fins getting a black outside unless I’m seeing things haha, noticed my ammonia went up a tiny bit gonna Change water

AE7EBD55-F1A8-4459-9426-E1F9E31BED3D.jpeg

3DBC8AFE-A63B-4872-9B56-68A8B2820299.jpeg

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - are y’all recommending 2.0 - 2.5 PPM now if you are doing 30 days in copper?

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Help! I am in dire need of your math/chemistry knowledge. I'm not exactly sure how, but I accidentally overdosed an 8gal WC (25%) with Copper Power. I have not added the WC to the QT and I also don't want to discard the treated 8gal WC. My Hanna Checker test of the WC reads 3.31. My QT is currently at 2.01. How much new saltwater do I need to add to dilute the WC to match QT? Please help!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Help! I am in dire need of your math/chemistry knowledge. I'm not exactly sure how, but I accidentally overdosed an 8gal WC (25%) with Copper Power. I have not added the WC to the QT and I also don't want to discard the treated 8gal WC. My Hanna Checker test of the WC reads 3.31. My QT is currently at 2.01. How much new saltwater do I need to add to dilute the WC to match QT? Please help!
Add 3.25 gallons of fresh saltwater to your WC and it should get you darn close to 2.0ppm!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. For my own notes, can I ask what formula you used to calculate?
Ok first, figure out what percentage needs reduced. You want to take 3.31ppm down to 2.0ppm

So you need a reduction of 1.3ppm.
1.3ppm/3.31ppm = a reduction of 41%

Now take your 8 gallons × 41% reduction. That's how I came up with adding the 3.25 gallons.

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first, figure out what percentage needs reduced. You want to take 3.31ppm down to 2.0ppm

So you need a reduction of 1.3ppm.
1.3ppm/3.31ppm = a reduction of 41%

Now take your 8 gallons × 41% reduction. That's how I came up with adding the 3.25 gallons.
Thanks. I seem to remember learning how to do percentages like this in school several decades ago. My 15yo son just walked out of the room laughing. (I'm assuming at me.) o_O

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I seem to remember learning how to do percentages like this in school several decades ago. My 15yo son just walked out of the room laughing. (I'm assuming at me.) o_O
I had to think about it for a minute. Because I don't usually have to add water. So he'd be laughing at me too! ;Blackeye

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be ramping up slower?

I put a Lemon peel angel into QT and started dosing CP at 3ml per day (10-gal tank). The goal was 3ml treatments over 4-days with a target of 1.9 ppm. On day 3 he was dead, didn’t do a reading but it was probably around 1.0 ppm. Was I ramping up too fast? BTW, tank parameters were fine.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks hey buddy so my tang is in copper for about 25 days now at 2.0 - 2.2 do think i can do normal water changes without keeping the copper at 2.0+ and slowly reduce ( ammonia catching up to me ) or should i still keep the copper level high

Back