HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question.

I just moved my leonardi wrasses and clowns from my copper qt tank to DT.

I did a 50 percent water change and filled the rest with saltwater.
I added nitrofurazone to my qt.
My question is the copper power might be around 1 ish, I think.
With the nitro in the water will be hanna checker work with the yellow tinted in the water?
Yes it will work just fine.

It takes a baseline reading before reagent then the actual reading after. So it's accurate even with the tinted water. I've checked it several times. Test, dose Furan, test.... Same reading both times.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I must be doing something wrong with my math.
The tank I'm using to quarantine all my fish in 117 gallons with the water in the sump.
I'm using Copper Power.
I dosed 3/4 of a oz. on the 15th, the 16th, the 17th and a full oz last night for a total of 3.25 oz.and my Hanna checker says the ppm is 0.49.
That can't be right?

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to add way more then recommended..presumably to my bio media and sand bed absorbing some. However, once I got it up to therapeutic levels it was stable.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosing calculations presented in the first post and a couple of other posts here work.

For those interested in using a metric approach, here's one:

Based on the bottle dosing instructions, the calculated copper concentration of Copper Power is 6.40 mg/ml.

Take your desired dosing endpoint in ppm, and multiply by your tank volume in liters.

This gives you the total amount of copper ion you want to add in milligrams.

Take this number and divide by 6.40, and you get the total mls of Copper Power to be added (in divided doses.)

Using the example from the first post:

40 gallon (151.4 liter) tank with desired copper level of 1.75 ppm (mg/liter).

1.75 mg/liter x 151.4 liters = 264.95 mg copper to be dosed.
264.95 mg total copper needed divided by 6.40 mg copper/ml Copper Power = 41.4 ml Copper Power to be dosed.

Last edited:

OceanJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

just read through the entire thread. Just wanted to clarify, if I move the fish to another sterile QT Tank after 14 days, do I need to continue dosing Copper Power at 1.75ppm?

If so, what is the reason to moving them to another sterile QT tank instead of running the full duration of 30 days?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

just read through the entire thread. Just wanted to clarify, if I move the fish to another sterile QT Tank after 14 days, do I need to continue dosing Copper Power at 1.75ppm?

If so, what is the reason to moving them to another sterile QT tank instead of running the full duration of 30 days?
The sterile tank post transfer is copper free.

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good resource to know what copper levels some sensitive fish like Angels can tolerate?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good resource to know what copper levels some sensitive fish like Angels can tolerate?
What kind of angels? I have treated most of the common to the hobby angels. Have a passer, goldflake, and scribbled in 2.25ppm copper power as we speak.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been getting a few requests for how to adjust dosing with all of my research on the hanna checker and copper power being used together. Figured I would throw this up as a point of reference.

For anyone using Copper Power:

Bottle concentration will bring you to a Cu level of 2.5ppm if dosed as instructed. Although it is not always necessary to dose your QT with a level that high. Copper power is considered therapeutic at a Cu Level of 1.5ppm. 1.5ppm is the MINIMUM. I personally have been using Copper Power at a level of 1.75ppm using the hanna checker to make sure I maintain a level safely above the Minimum.

You can see @Humblefish's communication with Endich, the manufacturer of Copper Power in the thread below, verifying the minimum level of 1.5ppm

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chelated-copper-is-chelated-copper.373513/

To figure out how to adjust the dosages follow these easy steps;

Total gallons x 1.475ml = Total ml to reach 2.5ppm
Now Take 2.5ppm / Total ml = PPM per ML Dosed
Now take desired target / PPM per ML Dosed = Total ml needed to reach desired target

For Example my QT is a 40b. Subtract displacement Add HOB filter volume. I have exactly 40 gallons of water to treat.

40gal x 1.475ml=59ml
2.5ppm / 59ml= .042ppm per ml dosed
1.75ppm / .042ppm = 41.7ml Total

I called it 42ml total. Ramped up over 7 days (6ml per day split into 2 doses, 3ml in am/3ml in pm)
You can then take the total ml needed for your volume and split it into whatever dosing schedule or "ramp up" you desire.

Edit: I should have mentioned in my original post if you are using the Hanna checker to test you can do so after each dose, or every other dose and figure out exactly how many ppm you should be increasing using the above ^^^ equation. This will also indicate if you are encountering any absorption.

Here are also some simple guidelines if you don't want to do the math above or are using visual test methods.
This is a little less accurate than above (Just trying to keep from going out 10 decimal points), but will get you darn close.
1.48ml per gallon = 2.5ppm
1.33ml per gallon = 2.25ppm
1.18ml per gallon = 2.0ppm
1.04ml per gallon = 1.75ppm
.89ml per gallon = 1.5ppm

No matter which formula you use above, make sure to take the following into consideration.
*This only works if you aren't encountering any absorption.
*You also need to measure the volume of water in QT, for example don't just assume a 20 gallon tank to hold exactly 20 gallons (You have to consider displacement and what level you are filling the tank to, also volume of HOB if you use one.).
*MAKE SURE TO TEST FREQUENTLY
*If you see signs of velvet it is not recommended to use the 5-7 day ramp up period, you would want to reach at least 1.5ppm within 48 hours.

API, Hach, Chemetrics, and Hanna are all suitable test methods for copper power.
hey, im using the API to test have a 10g QT and ive dosed 5x now at 2.66 and by the reading of the API kit im looking at barely 1.0 ppm ? am i doing it wrong?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, im using the API to test have a 10g QT and ive dosed 5x now at 2.66 and by the reading of the API kit im looking at barely 1.0 ppm ? am i doing it wrong?
The API kit always read low for me as well. Which is what led to overdosed copper.

How many total ml have you dosed into your 10g.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 13ml roughly
Then trust the Hanna checker. 13ml into 10g should yield 2.25ppm. I'm guessing the tank holds slightly less than 10 gallons plus a little displacement for equipment, pipe, whatever you have in the tank Etc.

So the reading of 2.66ppm you are getting is accurate.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then trust the Hanna checker. 13ml into 10g should yield 2.25ppm. I'm guessing the tank holds slightly less than 10 gallons plus a little displacement for equipment, pipe, whatever you have in the tank Etc.

So the reading of 2.66ppm you are getting is accurate.
gonna see if my local fish store can test it for me and see what i got in the reading

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of angels? I have treated most of the common to the hobby angels. Have a passer, goldflake, and scribbled in 2.25ppm copper power as we speak.

I would like to get a Flame angel soon, but also other fish like wrasses. I just want to know if there are some fish I need to treat lower or different then 1.75 ppm. Or is it a matter of perhaps ramping up the dosage slower with sensitive fish?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get a Flame angel soon, but also other fish like wrasses. I just want to know if there are some fish I need to treat lower or different then 1.75 ppm. Or is it a matter of perhaps ramping up the dosage slower with sensitive fish?
Honestly I use the same process and Cu level for all fish. I've treated several Wrasse including leopards and anampses. Never have an issue.

I start them in 1.50ppm and take them up to 2.0ppm over a few days.

Back