Ratios for Dosing Copper Power

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by HotRocks, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Brien

Brien Active Member

What's the suggested ramp up period for Copper Power? I had been using Cuperamine previously and have switched over to Copper Power but so far it's not going so well.

I have a 10-gal. QT with a target dosage of 10ml to get to around 1.75 ppm. I have tried Copper Power twice and both times the fish were dead the next morning. My initial dose was 3ml with an intended 3-day ramp up period. But perhaps this is too much.

2. Salt1972

Salt1972 Active Member R2R Supporter

There are MANY with more experience than me... we are in the middle of our 2nd round of quarantine. This time with an Atlantic Blue Tang. @HotRocks recommended starting at 1ppm Copper Power and ramping to 1.75ppm over 3 days. We will be 7 days in tomorrow with no ill effects.

On round 1, we tried to use a color comparison copper test and we were less than confident. On this round, we're using the Hanna Copper checker -- MUCH better.

dwest and HotRocks like this.
  3. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

The use of 3ml copper power in 10 gallons is no where near a toxic level.

I have dropped several fish directly into a QT predosed with 1.75ppm with no issues. So a 3 day ramp starting from zero or 1.0ppm should be enough ramp up time.

How are you acclimating the fish?

Do you have an ammonia badge in your QT?

What kind of oxygenation or surface agitation do you have?

dwest and Salt1972 like this.
  4. Byron malta

Byron malta Member

Hi humble. If a protein skimmer is used in qt, should it be switched off during copper treatment?

5. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Yes

6. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

One thing mags me on this Hanna Checker thing: all other copper test kits are either good for chelated or ionic copper, never for both. Why is the Checker good for both? Also, with a 0,05 error we are talking about 10% of the therapeutic level of Cupramine which is still relevant...

7. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

It works for both, yes there is the tolerance of the tester. I personally believe that is is more accurate than the +/- .05ppm. Based on the fact that I can dose by syringe and yield the exact proposed target using copper power.

@Hanna Instruments can probably explain why the tester works for both. I am no chemist, some kits measure free copper, some measure total copper etc.

For instance the seachem kit will work for either chelated or ionic copper, it just doesn't read high enough to monitor chelated copper since it's supposed to be used with ionic copper. Same with the API kit. It will read ionic copper but since the range is so much wider for the test there is no accuracy at low levels.

VJV likes this.
  8. sean rand

sean rand Well-Known Member

T
    Hanks. huge help

HotRocks likes this.
  9. Brien

Brien Active Member

What’s the recommended duration to treat your fish? I’m at 1.75 ppm.

10. HotRocks

Once 1.75ppm is reached you have two options:

Treat for 30 days and then start removing copper via water change or cuprisorb etc.

Treat for 14 days and then transfer the fish to a second sterile QT.

It's important to monitor/maintain the therapuetic Cu level throughout whichever route you take.

11. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

Hey HotRocks, powerhead aimed at surface vs airstone. Which do you believe provides better aeration?

12. HotRocks

Powerhead will generate more oxygen than an airstone. However I do run both just to be safe.

VJV likes this.
  13. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

My QT is a Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 and I can use the nozzles to break up the surface but also use either a skimmer (when not medicating) or an airstone, for aeration. But I hate the mess it does with salt creep.

14. MrAlpha

MrAlpha Member

So I have a Linespot flasher wrasse and a melanurus wrasse in QT for a few days now waiting for the Hanna checker to arrive. I dosed exactly 1ml of Copper Power to my 10 gallon and now the Hanna if giving me .42 seems high compared to the amounts you guys are dosing. I’m familiar with the Hannas, I have several so I believe I’m doing it right. Figure the 10 gallon is probably only holding 8 gallons or so since it’s not filled to very very top. However still seems a little high no?

15. Daniel225

Daniel225 Member

Good morning
    I was hoping you can help me out
    I purchased a hanna copper tester
    And copper power

I dosed my qt about 2 weeks ago
    I did a water 60 percent water change on a 55 gallon yesterday during the day

Last night I got 2 lennadi wrasses.

This morning I noticed them swimming weird.

Tester showing 0.69

I threw in a bag of carbon cause I didn't know what to do?

16. Daniel225

Daniel225 Member

Good morning
    I was hoping you can help me out
    I purchased a hanna copper tester
    And copper power

I dosed my qt about 2 weeks ago
    I did a water 60 percent water change on a 55 gallon yesterday during the day

Last night I got 2 lennadi wrasses.

This morning I noticed them swimming weird.

Tester showing 0.69

I threw in a bag of carbon cause I didn't know what to do?

20190315_052413.jpg

17. Daniel225

Daniel225 Member

Picture of tester and fish

20190315_051631.jpg

20190315_052347.jpg

18. ScooterV

ScooterV Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    ktisdale22 and Tamberav like this.
  19. drstardust

drstardust Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

ktisdale22 likes this.
  20. Daniel225

Daniel225 Member

Nice!
    Going to save this.

Thanks for sharing

Draft saved Draft deleted