Ratios for Dosing Copper Power

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by HotRocks, Apr 30, 2018.

1. rkpetersen

rkpetersen walked the sand with the crustaceans R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Controller Advisor

I've never started anything that high. But with the apparent increasing resistance, I understand why.
    Eventually it won't work though.

2. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I understand. Previously I always started at zero or 1.0ppm. Honestly though starting in the 1-1.5 range I have had more success than starting copper free.

rkpetersen likes this.
  3. Luke iskra

Luke iskra Well-Known Member

well im going to get my stuff tested again this week from a hanna at the local fish store, also have you ever seen or heard of this, my yellow tang been hiding non stop in little house i have in the QT, came out this morning and his dorsal fins right when it connects to the body look black/ brown? any idea what that is or how to heal it maybe

4. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

It sounds like possible bacterial issue.

Luke iskra likes this.
  5. Luke iskra

any way to help heal it during copper QT?

6. HotRocks

Can you upload pics? I am guessing hard to get if fish is hiding. You can add antibiotics to copper. Kanaplex and Furan-2. I want to make sure it is an infection though before you add them.

Luke iskra likes this.
  7. Luke iskra

i shall try and update one at my lunch time and ill show you

8. Luke iskra

realistically does my display tank need to be fishless for 6+ weeks or woule 3-4 be enough i see people saying 75 days fishless ...

9. HotRocks

6 weeks eliminates almost everything. There is a study out there that had ich surviving longer than six weeks which is where the 76day rule cones into play.

6 weeks is the minimum timeframe. Then it boils down to your personal tolerance for risk after that. I do use the 76 day rule my self.

Luke iskra likes this.
  10. Luke iskra

yikes thats a long time.. wish these darn stores would use a copper and treat their ichs to get rid of this nasty parasite for good off the markets

11. Luke iskra

You can tell the small little side fins have black spots and I’ve noticed the the outline of the back tail and back fins getting a black outside unless I’m seeing things haha, noticed my ammonia went up a tiny bit gonna Change water

AE7EBD55-F1A8-4459-9426-E1F9E31BED3D.jpeg

3DBC8AFE-A63B-4872-9B56-68A8B2820299.jpeg

12. ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare Valuable Member

Hi all - are y’all recommending 2.0 - 2.5 PPM now if you are doing 30 days in copper?

13. alpenreefer

alpenreefer Member R2R Supporter

@HotRocks Help! I am in dire need of your math/chemistry knowledge. I'm not exactly sure how, but I accidentally overdosed an 8gal WC (25%) with Copper Power. I have not added the WC to the QT and I also don't want to discard the treated 8gal WC. My Hanna Checker test of the WC reads 3.31. My QT is currently at 2.01. How much new saltwater do I need to add to dilute the WC to match QT? Please help!

14. HotRocks

Add 3.25 gallons of fresh saltwater to your WC and it should get you darn close to 2.0ppm!

rkpetersen likes this.
  15. alpenreefer

Thank you. For my own notes, can I ask what formula you used to calculate?

16. HotRocks

Ok first, figure out what percentage needs reduced. You want to take 3.31ppm down to 2.0ppm

So you need a reduction of 1.3ppm.
    1.3ppm/3.31ppm = a reduction of 41%

Now take your 8 gallons × 41% reduction. That's how I came up with adding the 3.25 gallons.

17. alpenreefer

Thanks. I seem to remember learning how to do percentages like this in school several decades ago. My 15yo son just walked out of the room laughing. (I'm assuming at me.) o_O

18. HotRocks

I had to think about it for a minute. Because I don't usually have to add water. So he'd be laughing at me too! ;Blackeye

Draft saved Draft deleted