RB Photon V2+ 48?

Stellar Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about ordering the 48" reefbreeders V2+, was wondering everyone's opinions and experiences on the fixture, mostly appealed by the wavelengths, spread, design, and the custom channels that I'm lacking now. How easy is the app to use and opinions, post some setup pics too! Thank you!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about ordering the 48" reefbreeders V2+, was wondering everyone's opinions and experiences on the fixture, mostly appealed by the wavelengths, spread, design, and the custom channels that I'm lacking now. How easy is the app to use and opinions, post some setup pics too! Thank you!
@LRT has one and has been using his for a shroom grow out tank. He should be able to give you some details.

@danieyella has one on her new tank also. She should be able to provide some input as well.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 32” Photon V2+ Over my 6’ 210. And have a 24” V2 over my 54. Been using the 24 since 2018. No issues. No experience with the app. Easy enough to program with the remote. The apps likely not going to be as user friendly as you’d get with AI line. I’ve been rather pleased with the light. Customer service is outstanding also. Warranty is great also.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen reviews with reefers not getting proper coverage to edges but haven't experienced that. I do run a shroom dominant system and don't have to run mine like other reefers.
That being said my shrooms love the light. I have my 24 over a set of 3x4' tables and raised pretty high. At 30" right now. Pretty uniform coverage until I get to edges but all fixtures fail there and most people supplement bars or t5 anyway so idk. Im only talking a difference of 50 par anyway. I'm actually removing my t5 because my shrooms did better without it.
Logan is super helpful as well as super knowledgeable with his product. Always on point as said great customer service. I had an issue with my wifi chip or remote and he sent me the upgrade with app and made it right.
Great price for good lamp. I'm going to throw it over a 36x24 and see what happens lol

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 32” Photon V2+ Over my 6’ 210. And have a 24” V2 over my 54. Been using the 24 since 2018. No issues. No experience with the app. Easy enough to program with the remote. The apps likely not going to be as user friendly as you’d get with AI line. I’ve been rather pleased with the light. Customer service is outstanding also. Warranty is great also.
I started with remote and ended up getting the upgrade kit when I had issue.
You will be pleasantly surprised how much better it makes and already great fixture. Ramping is super smooth and the app is super user friendly and easy to use. Highly reccomend. You will love it im sure.
The upgrade kit was exactly what the light needed and right on point in getting the little bugs with ramping sorted out.
Awesome to know your getting that kind of coverage. I think my 24 raised high enough will get me what I need in my 36" shallow frag tank im getting ready to set up. Light puts out serious power.

OP
OP
Stellar Aquatics

Stellar Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies and input guys! So i take it it's worth the money? I read that it had issues earlier in the year with the app but I'm sure it's resolved by now, was my only concern. Glad to hear only good things about it, thanks again!

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with reefbreeders has been nothing short of excellent. I have been running a 32" over my 40B and a 24" over my 25g lagoon for about a year now. I think this light is the best money can buy right now. Well built, good features and price point. Plus the customer service is hard to match. They will take care of you! Im also very happy with coverage and intensity.

I do not have the app. usable ones and find the remote okay. I can imagine the app. would be nice to have, maybe someday. I likely wont use another LED brand over my reefs.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48 over my tank and run a mixed reef - everything grows.

I started without the app and just upgraded it a couple months ago and I *highly* recommend it. It's so much easier & the ramping is so much smoother.

I actually got the stuff in the other day to start testing par so I can fine-tune my settings.

As stated above, Logan is top notch with anything customer service. Great lights, great company.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said my shrooms love the light.
Off topic, but speaking of shrooms. I have been trying to get my hand on some citrus rhodactis shrooms for a long while. Devon from Reefdudes has a nice colony of them. I have yet to find any vendor that sells them. Any online vendors that specialize in shrooms?
D9981AF9-EC2A-4C09-BD5F-63E1154C427C.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet would be start a thread in web section for specific shrooms your looking form chances are someone will have it.
Ultimate corals always has crazy new stuff coming in. Ive gotten most of my stuff from other reefers here though UC always gets my money haha

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet would be start a thread in web section for specific shrooms your looking form chances are someone will have it.
Ultimate corals always has crazy new stuff coming in. Ive gotten most of my stuff from other reefers here though UC always gets my money haha
Appreciate it. Will give that a try:)

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 48 over my tank and run a mixed reef - everything grows.

I started without the app and just upgraded it a couple months ago and I *highly* recommend it. It's so much easier & the ramping is so much smoother.

I actually got the stuff in the other day to start testing par so I can fine-tune my settings.

As stated above, Logan is top notch with anything customer service. Great lights, great company.
What does your lighting schedule look like? I’be got one coming in to replace my T5 hybrid.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your lighting schedule look like? I’be got one coming in to replace my T5 hybrid.
I upgraded my light for the app, I run a mixture of what it preloads on there vs the brs recommended settings. My tank is pretty deep back to front so my sandbed par measures 50-150 depending on where I'm checking.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with remote and ended up getting the upgrade kit when I had issue.
You will be pleasantly surprised how much better it makes and already great fixture. Ramping is super smooth and the app is super user friendly and easy to use. Highly reccomend. You will love it im sure.
The upgrade kit was exactly what the light needed and right on point in getting the little bugs with ramping sorted out.
Awesome to know your getting that kind of coverage. I think my 24 raised high enough will get me what I need in my 36" shallow frag tank im getting ready to set up. Light puts out serious power.
How much easier does the app make? I’m going to be buying the Photon V2+ and I’m weighing out options of getting the 0-10V adapter and controlling via a Hydros controller vs getting the Reef Nexus app upgrade… any info you can give me about the app would be hugely appreciated, as this is the way I would prefer to go. Ramping, sunrise/set, etc, spectrum programming, how easy is all of this compared to programming each channel for each hour on the control that it comes with? Thanks…

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much easier does the app make? I’m going to be buying the Photon V2+ and I’m weighing out options of getting the 0-10V adapter and controlling via a Hydros controller vs getting the Reef Nexus app upgrade… any info you can give me about the app would be hugely appreciated, as this is the way I would prefer to go. Ramping, sunrise/set, etc, spectrum programming, how easy is all of this compared to programming each channel for each hour on the control that it comes with? Thanks…
Huge huge difference. The remote you have to literally sit there hour by hour plugging in your numbers for all 6 channels. It's tedious, and it sets on the hour only.

With the app you set your sunrise/sunset, moonlight, etc. Then you start with your first channel. You can set how many segments you want and their strength points. Then as you move to the next color you can start fresh, or you can copy from a different color channel. It's not flipping through one number at a time. The ramping also looks much more smooth. You can set your segments on the hour, or at any time in between.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge huge difference. The remote you have to literally sit there hour by hour plugging in your numbers for all 6 channels. It's tedious, and it sets on the hour only.

With the app you set your sunrise/sunset, moonlight, etc. Then you start with your first channel. You can set how many segments you want and their strength points. Then as you move to the next color you can start fresh, or you can copy from a different color channel. It's not flipping through one number at a time. The ramping also looks much more smooth. You can set your segments on the hour, or at any time in between.
Cool… thanks. Seems like using a controller really isn’t necessary with the app upgrade to the light ?

Back