Re-pairing clownfish?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I was wondering if anyone has re-paired clownfish after they’ve paired with someone else, I no longer have one of the clowns since they became a tormentor of my 85gal. I kept the male clownfish which is a black storm clown and was wondering if I can wait a couple of months for the clownfish to turn female and then re-introduce a different clown (thinking either naked clown or a orange storm clown) the black storm is currently on its own quarantine tank and thinking on moving them to bigger system soon.

Any input would be appreciated!

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I was wondering if anyone has re-paired clownfish after they’ve paired with someone else, I no longer have one of the clowns since they became a tormentor of my 85gal. I kept the male clownfish which is a black storm clown and was wondering if I can wait a couple of months for the clownfish to turn female and then re-introduce a different clown (thinking either naked clown or a orange storm clown) the black storm is currently on its own quarantine tank and thinking on moving them to bigger system soon.

Any input would be appreciated!
Ya I had a similar situation though it was the male who jumped out!! The sooner you can pair them the better!! You don’t want to wait to long otherwise the clown will get used to being by itself and attack any new arrivals! I would buy a clown smaller than yours now depending on the size of the male you have is still small find a large one if the male is bigger find a small one!!

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I had a similar situation though it was the male who jumped out!! The sooner you can pair them the better!! You don’t want to wait to long otherwise the clown will get used to being by itself and attack any new arrivals! I would buy a clown smaller than yours now depending on the size of the male you have is still small find a large one if the male is bigger find a small one!!
Yeah I was thinking on getting a small one and pairing them up in qt and transfer them together to DT. Hopefully he doesn’t shred the new little guy apart

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen when once my female was killed by another female and when I had the male jump through my top. Just make sure to get the new fish very small. It should accept it being so small as to not be a threat to its turning female. Good luck!

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen when once my female was killed by another female and when I had the male jump through my top. Just make sure to get the new fish very small. It should accept it being so small as to not be a threat to its turning female. Good luck!
Do you think there’s any difference in the two clowns I mentioned? Aggression wise, cause the last thing I’d want is stress in the tank

dale347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of clowns and the female died also. I just got the smallest one of the same species that I could find. They are repaired and laying eggs. It all worked out. Best of luck!!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pairing clowns is frustrating! I started out with two juveniles as my first fish. They were inseparable for two months. Then at the flip of a switch the one became the devil’s spawn and unrelentingly killed the other. Who doesn’t love paired clown fish? At the suggestion of my lfs I brought home a larger one, about a half an inch larger. They have been doing great for the past five months. I do have a priest on speed dial if the switch gets flipped again!

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pairing clowns is frustrating! I started out with two juveniles as my first fish. They were inseparable for two months. Then at the flip of a switch the one became the devil’s spawn and unrelentingly killed the other. Who doesn’t love paired clown fish? At the suggestion of my lfs I brought home a larger one, about a half an inch larger. They have been doing great for the past five months. I do have a priest on speed dial if the switch gets flipped again!
Mine the female just became the biggest little devil and was even attacking my hands at some point, that’s when I said that’s enough.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back