Ready to Start

ajb1965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 10+ years of FW Aquariums, I am ready to take the leap of faith into Saltwater. I am spending a little time researching the best equipment and reading reviews as i have a pretty limited budget to get started. I have a 37 gallon Bow front tank which will be Live rock and fish (for now!!).
I just wanted some input on questions and some of the decisions already going through my mind.
I am think I am going with crushed coral over sand (Fiji pink crushed coral).
Now my first question is, is there a Filter and protein skimmer combined unit?
I am sure I will have more questions as I research more, but look forward to some guidance here.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

SeriousBothBronco-size_restricted.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The protein skimmer is a filter, along with live rock (and sand) substrate.

The other filter people use is a filter sock or rollermat for mechanical filtration. The salt world is different than fresh in how mechanical filtration is achieved, often with a skimmer and filter sock only.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Edit: Oh, start a build thread and post your questions along the way! This thread will provide a lot of meme's and welcomes. Starting a build thread can also be a great way to get answers.
(I started with guppies!)

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You're jumping into the deep end of the pool, my friend! As you can already tell tons of great knowledge here! Looking forward to seeing your tank up and running!

giphy.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also looked into this, which looks like a better option and adding a Protein Skimmer
Cannister Filter

A canister filter comes with its own challenges, but if you don't have a sump then it can be a workable mechanical filtration option along with regular water testing and water changes. IMO you will want to clean the canister on a regular basis.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back