Receding Torch

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure there’s anything anyone could point to here, but a torch that’s been in my tank 8 or 9 months has randomly started to recede. Nothing’s changed in the last few months.

SG: 1.026
Alk: 8
Cal: 430
Mag: 1440
NO3: 2
PO4: .03
pH: 8.1-8.3

No idea what happened. Other corals, including another torch, are doing very well.

I’m planning to do an ICP test, but the one I did a few months ago didn’t turn up anything crazy.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. My new coral lens is coming soon.

Thanks!

73ED1F93-6670-4131-96CB-7AF82A9770E9.jpeg

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If parameters are stable and no change to flow, could be invert or fish bothering it. If not, then do a dip to check for parasites. Also, can do an iodine dip to rule out bacterial issues. GL!
Thanks! It seems so weird that a parasite would show up after so long, but it certainly could be one. Appreciate it.

I’m debating leaving it alone to see what happens, since it’s glued to the rock, but if it gets much worse I’ll try a dip in Revive, and then some iodine.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It seems so weird that a parasite would show up after so long, but it certainly could be one. Appreciate it.

I’m debating leaving it alone to see what happens, since it’s glued to the rock, but if it gets much worse I’ll try a dip in Revive, and then some iodine.
Did you add any new corals?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, duh. I did just add a few zoas and a blasto about 2 weeks ago. They were all dipped in Bayer. It’s not impossible that something hitchhiked in, though.
you used Bayer for blastos and zoas? dang, you are hardcore. Did you rinse them after the dip?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course. I actually find Bayer to be really gentle on corals, but hard on pests. I’ve used it on everything from acros to mushrooms.
It is indeed quiet good on pests, but I find its hard on some corals. I might be using to much when dosing then :eek::eek:

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed quiet good on pests, but I find its hard on some corals. I might be using to much when dosing then :eek::eek:
I use something like 10ml per cup of tank water. I don’t even measure, though. Just add enough to make it look like watered down skim milk.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back