Recipe 1

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been using Randy’s recipe 1 for almost 5 yrs now with great results. My question is with the sludge even after mixing it good (anlk part) Every time I mix a batch after a day or two I get sludge back in the bottom of my jug. Am I not really mixing it enough?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been using Randy’s recipe 1 for almost 5 yrs now with great results. My question is with the sludge even after mixing it good (anlk part) Every time I mix a batch after a day or two I get sludge back in the bottom of my jug. Am I not really mixing it enough?

How much material are we talking about?

Are you baking the baking soda? If so, maybe its not complete.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much material are we talking about?

Are you baking the baking soda? If so, maybe its not complete.
I do one gallon of solution at a time. So 2 1/4 cups of baking soda and I bake it for 60 mins on 300 degrees. I shake it and run under hot water until it’s all dissolved but always end up with at least a 1/4”-1/2” of sludge back in the bottom the next day. Figuring it’s something I’m doing incorrectly for sure.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Randy....good chance it's not completely "baked". Didn't mention how you bake, but you want to spread it out so that it's not that thick. I use a cookie sheet.

1677416293128.png

I'd also raise your temperature up to 350....this won't hurt anything, it could only help.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Randy....good chance it's not completely "baked". Didn't mention how you bake, but you want to spread it out so that it's not that thick. I use a cookie sheet.

1677416293128.png

I'd also raise your temperature up to 350....this won't hurt anything, it could only help.
Sry, I actually spread out on baking sheet like this but… will def try raising the temp and baking a little longer my next batch. Appreciate the tips.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've upped my recommended temp (say, 350-400) to try to reduce this concern. it cannot be overbaked in a home oven at any temp or time, but like a turkey, the inside of the material can stay cool for longer than one might expect.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back