Recirculating Plumbing for a Sump?

BlingityBling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like 3-4 years ago or so… it was a thing to connect some ball valves and join the return line to the drain line so water could be continuously cycled through the filter for sump cleaning by simply stirring up the detritus or wiping it down. I feel like there were YouTube videos among other things back then… As I’m working on a new tank build I can’t get this out of my head. I’d love an easy way to let the filter catch this dirt As opposed to dragging out a wet dry vac all time. I think I avoid cleaning the sump as it’s just plain annoying and easy to keep putting it off.

Was this ever a “thing”?
Does anyone have a recirculating setup?
I can’t find any info on it at all so was it a passing fad?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like 3-4 years ago or so… it was a thing to connect some ball valves and join the return line to the drain line so water could be continuously cycled through the filter for sump cleaning by simply stirring up the detritus or wiping it down. I feel like there were YouTube videos among other things back then… As I’m working on a new tank build I can’t get this out of my head. I’d love an easy way to let the filter catch this dirt As opposed to dragging out a wet dry vac all time. I think I avoid cleaning the sump as it’s just plain annoying and easy to keep putting it off.

Was this ever a “thing”?
Does anyone have a recirculating setup?
I can’t find any info on it at all so was it a passing fad?
I do this with my uv. Pull from the end of the sump and return it back to the beginning. Keeps the flow high to keep anything from settling. Nice and clean for the most part.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if it was a thing or its just me.

I built my own plumbing and it does have that recirculating system, i just turn a valve and it will pump back to the filter socks.

It doesnt really fully clean the water as some very fine particles or dust still goes through the filter sock.
Unless you have a very fine micron filter sock to make that water super clear.

Heres my old video when i was building it, you can see it clearly in the first part. Where the return connects to the secondary line with ball valves on both ends.

So far, my experience over the years, most of the time, ill rather use a small pump to pump detritus out with a bucket than cleaning the dirty filter sock using the recirculating mode.

Also big chunks of detritus dont get suspended that easily to get filtered.
Might need a powerhead on each chamber of the sump to keep detritus from thickening up.

Also if you got vermited snails or big solid chunks, it could theoretically get jammed in the return pump/ or damage it during cleaning sessions.

If i dont want to use a bucket, i will still get a small pump and put the hose directly in the filter sock for recirculating cleaning.

I guess i dont like cleaning filter sock lol with bristleworms lol.

Your choice i guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlingityBling

BlingityBling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if it was a thing or its just me.

I built my own plumbing and it does have that recirculating system, i just turn a valve and it will pump back to the filter socks.

It doesnt really fully clean the water as some very fine particles or dust still goes through the filter sock.
Unless you have a very fine micron filter sock to make that water super clear.

Heres my old video when i was building it, you can see it clearly in the first part. Where the return connects to the secondary line with ball valves on both ends.

So far, my experience over the years, most of the time, ill rather use a small pump to pump detritus out with a bucket than cleaning the dirty filter sock using the recirculating mode.

Also big chunks of detritus dont get suspended that easily to get filtered.
Might need a powerhead on each chamber of the sump to keep detritus from thickening up.

Also if you got vermited snails or big solid chunks, it could theoretically get jammed in the return pump/ or damage it during cleaning sessions.

If i dont want to use a bucket, i will still get a small pump and put the hose directly in the filter sock for recirculating cleaning.

I guess i dont like cleaning filter sock lol with bristleworms lol.

Your choice i guess.

That's pretty slick... pretty much what I was thinking.
I was looking for references and simply can't find any... I'm probably not using the right keywords I guess. If I don't use it that often then no big loss compared to the cost of the tank. I'll probably take your suggestion of a small powerhead in the skimmer section. That's where the bulk of stuff collects on my other system. I'd rather have a few extra plumbing parts and not use them versus wishing I had it down the road.
Thank you

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a previous build, I put a powerhead in my sump and put it on a timer to come on for an hour or two per day. It was pointed towards the floor of the sump in such a way that it stirred up any detritus which was caught in a filter downstream and kept the sump really clean.
Not really a recirculation solution but accomplishes what you are after perhaps?

OP
OP
BlingityBling

BlingityBling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a previous build, I put a powerhead in my sump and put it on a timer to come on for an hour or two per day. It was pointed towards the floor of the sump in such a way that it stirred up any detritus which was caught in a filter downstream and kept the sump really clean.
Not really a recirculation solution but accomplishes what you are after perhaps?
That's a good thought... Thank you

OP
OP
BlingityBling

BlingityBling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this with my uv. Pull from the end of the sump and return it back to the beginning. Keeps the flow high to keep anything from settling. Nice and clean for the most part.
I may be over thinking things... but I'll kick myself 6 months from now for not thinking of simple stuff like this lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back