Recommend Best Portable Power Station with UPS, Built in Transfer Switch, for Entire Reef Tank

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking for a recommendation for a portable power station, preferably LifePO4, with built in UPS? Uninterrupted Power Switching from wall to battery, being the key feature. I want something that will switch over power from grid to battery, keeping the entire tank running for up to 6 hours, during a blackout. It would give me time to get back home and fire up a generator, while keeping my reef warm and flowing, especially in the winter months. I estimate the power station requiring at least 2000 watts output capability.

Just to be clear, I already own a backup battery for DC pump flow. The thought is, I want to purchase a portable power station anyway, so why not have one that is big enough, with built in UPS, so it can power my tank. The capacity is easy to research. I have had a harder time finding the uninterrupted power feature as a listed option. Not sure why this would not be a feature on every unit that is available.

I do also have the option to purchase a 100Ah 12v LifePo4 battery paired with a DC to AC inverter / UPS and charger, to build my own. I have also considered using the same battery and implementing it into an existing computer UPS. I realize the DC to AC conversion comes at a loss, but am willing to accept that, for the convenience.

Please share your experience if you use a portable power station (solar or wall charged) with auto switching or a DIY system, to run your entire tank during a blackout. There are already plenty of threads about keeping DC pump flow going, so not interested in rehashing that topic. Looking for a portable power system that can run heaters / coolers and flow, perhaps the entire tank with lights. It's definitely possible with today's battery tech.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered a LifePO4 100Ah battery to get me started. The CHINS was recommended by Will Prowse and cost me $260. Doesn't have a low temp charge cutoff circuit, but that won't ever matter since it will be installed in a home. I am still on the lookout for a quality all in one 2000-3000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter / Charger / Transfer Switch UPS. A bunch of brands make these, such as Renogy, Aims, Thor and Kisae. I may go with a Inverter / UPS and install a separate 5-10 amp charger. I have to decide what will work best for this setup.

I am still very interested in hearing what others are using for portable battery backup stations to run their reef aquariums, especially units with a UPS function. Please share them.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of plug and play freestanding battery generators on the market now that can be stored in a closet and recharged with a small solar panel if needed. No need to jump through hoops and Frankenstein your own out of zip ties and duct tape. I use a portable dual fuel inverter and I have a 2000w inverter that runs off deep cycle batteries.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plenty of plug and play freestanding battery generators on the market now that can be stored in a closet and recharged with a small solar panel if needed. No need to jump through hoops and Frankenstein your own out of zip ties and duct tape. I use a portable dual fuel inverter and I have a 2000w inverter that runs off deep cycle batteries.
Are you using an inverter with a built in transfer switch / UPS or do you have to manually plug it in / switch it on, during a power outage?

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the ecoflow units, but it seems you can get nearly 3 times the run time for 1/2 the price by using a 100Ah LifePO4 battery and off the shelf inverter. Wondering what the advantage is, other than the slick look. Also, I don't believe most of their units have built in auto transfer switch, which is the most important feature for this setup.

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the ecoflow units, but it seems you can get nearly 3 times the run time for 1/2 the price by using a 100Ah LifePO4 battery and off the shelf inverter. Wondering what the advantage is, other than the slick look. Also, I don't believe most of their units have built in auto transfer switch, which is the most important feature for this setup.
Is there an inverter you'd recommend for that type of battery?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran Trace inverter for years until I went with my current Whole House 35KW Generator. Trace Inverter ( Now Xantrex ) still online for the small amount of time it takes for the generator to fire up and switch over.

A70DFFE4-79CB-405A-8529-A5BB65FF91D5.jpeg

AA17CDE9-3C12-4C62-BB7C-FCE51E114FA7.jpeg

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there an inverter you'd recommend for that type of battery?
I am no expert, but I am going to try an Aims 2000 pure sine wave inverter with built in transfer switch. I’ll report back here, how everything works.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ran Trace inverter for years until I went with my current Whole House 35KW Generator. Trace Inverter ( Now Xantrex ) still online for the small amount of time it takes for the generator to fire up and switch over.

A70DFFE4-79CB-405A-8529-A5BB65FF91D5.jpeg

AA17CDE9-3C12-4C62-BB7C-FCE51E114FA7.jpeg
This is a very nice set up. I hope to have something similar some day.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2000w for 6 hours is about the exact storage and capacity of a Tesla power wall or equivalent.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ecoflow does have some units with UPS capability.

A friend gave me his old 100 Ah Battle Born battery so I'll eventually pair it with an inverter-charger and perhaps a 2nd battery.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ecoflow does have some units with UPS capability.

A friend gave me his old 100 Ah Battle Born battery so I'll eventually pair it with an inverter-charger and perhaps a 2nd battery.
Thank you for the info. I did finally come across a Hobotech video where he reviewed the Ecoflow UPS feature. It is worth mentioning Hobotech and DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse youtube channels, in this thread. They are both excellent resources and fun to watch. The Ecoflow Delta 1800 works as a UPS, but switches over very slowly. Not really a problem, for a reef aquarium. Far as I have found that is the only available all in one power bank, with that feature. I may pick one up, for the second reef system after building my more expandable DIY unit for the main tank and eventual whole house unit with sub panel.

The plan you have with your Battle Born LIFEPO4 100 Ah is basically what I am doing, but using an inverter / auto transfer switch, instead of an inverter / charger. I ordered a renogy smart charger, instead.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan you have with your Battle Born LIFEPO4 100 Ah is basically what I am doing, but using an inverter / auto transfer switch, instead of an inverter / charger. I ordered a renogy smart charger, instead.

I watch those Youtube channels as well.

Most (all?) of the inverter-chargers I've looked at have transfer switches built in so I think they're really the only component I need besides the battery and cables to DIY my own UPS.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I watch those Youtube channels as well.

Most (all?) of the inverter-chargers I've looked at have transfer switches built in so I think they're really the only component I need besides the battery and cables to DIY my own UPS.
Would you mind listing some of the inverter / charger / UPS units you are considering? It might be helpful to have them posted in this topic

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this one for my system. It's very expensive but it runs all of my equipment minus the heaters for 24 hours. When you add on 500 watts of heat, it drops down to 3 hours.
The problem is the heaters that's a lot of watts to run depending on the size of your fish tank, IME.

Screenshot_20230105_142446_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got this one for my system. It's very expensive but it runs all of my equipment minus the heaters for 24 hours. When you add on 500 watts of heat, it drops down to 3 hours.
The problem is the heaters that's a lot of watts to run depending on the size of your fish tank, IME.

Screenshot_20230105_142446_Chrome.jpg
2700 watts is good capacity for an off the shelf UPS. Good find. Wonder if this unit is expandable and what type of battery it uses?

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been on pause, while I send the 2000 Watt Aims Inverter / Transfer unit in for repair. I got it for a really good final bid price on fleabay, but alas not working. No AC power when connected to the 100Ah battery. It is still under warranty and AIMS service believes it is a faulty transfer switch. Either way, can't hurt to have it looked at, before I install it. I'll report back once I have it up and running. I'll continue to look for a good case or cabinet for the system, while I am waiting on the repair. Also, need to run a dedicated ground wire for the inverter, since it will be connected to our homes AC.

Another thought, I can wire a dedicated DC output, to power one or two of the DC pumps in the tank, once the battery has depleted to the point where it can no longer power the inverter. I can get another 10-15 hours of flow, off the 100Ah battery, by tapping into the IceCap battery backup, that is already installed behind the tank. Also, continuing to research connecting the entire thing to solar, to split time between grid / battery power, when in less critical power outage seasons.

Please keep sharing your AC backup options, especially those with built in UPS functionality. I am still looking for another setup, for my second reef system. Hopefully this will continue to be a good resource for others to come start their research on the topic.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back