Red Blasto Placement

adimas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First blasto's I've added to my tank. Need to know if they have to be on a rock to grow or can they be in the sand. I just don't know if they need a hard surface to attach to or not.

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastos grow their own skeletons, if you place it on a rock and leave it there, it'll eventually grow itself onto that rock. Or if you glue the frag to a frag disk, it'll grow onto that. I have my blastos on frag disks sitting on my sandbed.

OP
OP
adimas

adimas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so if I leave it in the sand it will be fine? It is attached onto a piece of rock. That's how i purchased it.I didn't know if it needed a larger one to spread out. But sounds like it will spread on the sand just fine. Thanks for the help!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like lower light and low flow. I always put mine towards a corner under the powerheads where the light isn't quite as bright and they're not getting blasted with current from the powerhead across the tank.

OP
OP
adimas

adimas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I had read about them. That's why I wanted them in my sand so the mh wouldn't hit them so hard. I've had them for about 2 weeks. They seem to be doing good. Just couldn't find info on placing them on rock or sand to optimize growth. Thanks for the info Jimbo!

Tankmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that the best thing to do with any coral is start it at the bottom of the tank and slowly move it up until you find a good balance of light and water flow. Your coral will tell you when it's happy.

OP
OP
adimas

adimas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They open up real nice so I think their pretty happy. I'll leave them there unless I notice any change in their extension.

Coolnesscomplex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is five years old but nobody really answered the guy’s question and I have the same question...can I LEAVE my blasto, which is mounted on a frag, in the sand forever? Will the colony just grow outwards attached to itself and not need a surface to attach to on the bottom? Which means you can technically move it if you need to?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should grow outward when u have it on the sandbed. My preference is to mount it on a disk that is bigger than the frag/colony, that way there’s a good hard surface for it to encrust.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is five years old but nobody really answered the guy’s question and I have the same question...can I LEAVE my blasto, which is mounted on a frag, in the sand forever? Will the colony just grow outwards attached to itself and not need a surface to attach to on the bottom? Which means you can technically move it if you need to?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

My 3 like lowish light and I have them in the sand on the plugs. They kinda ball out like an acan so yes it is ok to leave them. They look better when they are all puffed up against each other too
1f98bcb69eba2f0e0496111cd2083c88.jpg
9b980f8a81e077f923a6e9c861c42fa4.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back