Red bug thoughts and advice

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon all. I’ve been reefing for a good 15years now. I’ve had red bugs and aefw in the past so I know a good amount about both of them and how to eradicate them.

I’m currently taking care of a system for the past couple years which is ~700gallons. My friend put one up the same size I have a few years back so it makes things nice to deal with since I have very similar.

He’s had red bugs about a year ago and we got a bunch of interceptor for him. Dosed the tank for 4 weeks straight. Did 3 pills for the large breed at each dose (this is a much larger concentration then it calls for) we took offline any media and pulled the airline from skimmers. Did it for about 8-12hrs and then did a 10% water change. Like I said this was done 4 weeks in a row. We both saw no signs of the, but behold they are back.

Nothing has been added to the tank, corals are thriving, but a few have PE loss and are crawling with little bugs. Just the smooth skin ones from what it looks like and I know they prefer them. They are still growing, but could be happier.

There is no option to pull them out as they are not small and have encrusted onto multiple rocks

Any thoughts? It’s a pain dosing for weeks in a row and kills off the shrimp / pods in his system. I didn’t think it would be possible to have them come back when nothing new has been introduced, but they are back. [emoji35]

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had them so I’m not the guy to listen to, but . A tank that size it maybe impossible to kill them and the previous treatments may have made them resistant to broadcast treatments of anytype.
I would bite the bullet and remove/treat the affected corals, and as far as the main tank (700 gallons Wow ) get red bug preditors like dragon face pipefish. And I know peps will quickly point out they can’t get them all. But they can help . Good luck to you.

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had them so I’m not the guy to listen to, but . A tank that size it maybe impossible to kill them and the previous treatments may have made them resistant to broadcast treatments of anytype.
I would bite the bullet and remove/treat the affected corals, and as far as the main tank (700 gallons Wow ) get red bug preditors like dragon face pipefish. And I know peps will quickly point out they can’t get them all. But they can help . Good luck to you.

I don’t know how it could be impossible to kill them though, but I was worried if the same thing. He doesn’t want to remove them and I know there are people that live with them as in the grand scheme of things not a huge issue. I want to get a few more opinions, but we were talking about trying a larger dosage then what we already did prior.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon all. I’ve been reefing for a good 15years now. I’ve had red bugs and aefw in the past so I know a good amount about both of them and how to eradicate them.

I’m currently taking care of a system for the past couple years which is ~700gallons. My friend put one up the same size I have a few years back so it makes things nice to deal with since I have very similar.

He’s had red bugs about a year ago and we got a bunch of interceptor for him. Dosed the tank for 4 weeks straight. Did 3 pills for the large breed at each dose (this is a much larger concentration then it calls for) we took offline any media and pulled the airline from skimmers. Did it for about 8-12hrs and then did a 10% water change. Like I said this was done 4 weeks in a row. We both saw no signs of the, but behold they are back.

Nothing has been added to the tank, corals are thriving, but a few have PE loss and are crawling with little bugs. Just the smooth skin ones from what it looks like and I know they prefer them. They are still growing, but could be happier.

There is no option to pull them out as they are not small and have encrusted onto multiple rocks

Any thoughts? It’s a pain dosing for weeks in a row and kills off the shrimp / pods in his system. I didn’t think it would be possible to have them come back when nothing new has been introduced, but they are back. [emoji35]
Hey there I can definitely relate in woes the ongoing battle. What’s up these mutant modern day bugs 10-15 years ago they drop dead visibly into the water colum after 3-4 hours. Our experiences parallel for the most part, although mine grey/black. My current tank is mature packed mostly colonies in close proximity or literally touching. I know which piece they came from I added that 15 months ago. It’s been on going issue, and I waited 4-5 months before the initial interceptor treatment observing them. As I was unsure what exactly what I was dealing with, and wasn’t having a stroke of luck obtaining interceptor. There was also contrast in activity, total number, and then obviously color. Once I did treat I did 3-4x dosage 8 hours with all the standard protocols you mention. No follow ups which wash probably my biggest mistake, but doing higher dosage and dire conditions of certain acro’s w/ long term infestations. I didn’t think they could handle much more. They held on quite while before falling off seemed to hide deep within coralites. I thought they were gone everything came back normal didn’t see any for months. Inevitably they came repopulated knocking out stuff quick and infecting acros they hadn’t shown interest in before. I hadn’t really add anything coralwise definitely no acro’s after treating. I doubled down on my dosage and let the treatment run for 24-36 hours I’ve done this several times. Corals returning to normal pe/growth/tissue I still saw a few couple nights ago they have to be building a tolerance to interceptor. It’s defeating to say the least, and I got a bunch interceptor eventually that will dry up. Interested to see if anyone else found a finite solution.

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there I can definitely relate in woes the ongoing battle. What’s up these mutant modern day bugs 10-15 years ago they drop dead visibly into the water colum after 3-4 hours. Our experiences parallel for the most part, although mine grey/black. My current tank is mature packed mostly colonies in close proximity or literally touching. I know which piece they came from I added that 15 months ago. It’s been on going issue, and I waited 4-5 months before the initial interceptor treatment observing them. As I was unsure what exactly what I was dealing with, and wasn’t having a stroke of luck obtaining interceptor. There was also contrast in activity, total number, and then obviously color. Once I did treat I did 3-4x dosage 8 hours with all the standard protocols you mention. No follow ups which wash probably my biggest mistake, but doing higher dosage and dire conditions of certain acro’s w/ long term infestations. I didn’t think they could handle much more. They held on quite while before falling off seemed to hide deep within coralites. I thought they were gone everything came back normal didn’t see any for months. Inevitably they came repopulated knocking out stuff quick and infecting acros they hadn’t shown interest in before. I hadn’t really add anything coralwise definitely no acro’s after treating. I doubled down on my dosage and let the treatment run for 24-36 hours I’ve done this several times. Corals returning to normal pe/growth/tissue I still saw a few couple nights ago they have to be building a tolerance to interceptor. It’s defeating to say the least, and I got a bunch interceptor eventually that will dry up. Interested to see if anyone else found a finite solution.

This seems to be how it is for him right now. His coral are large and a lot are touching as well. There is no option of taking them out unless he basically wanted to restart the whole system.

We are going to do a 5 tablet dosage this weekend and let it sit for 12hrs to see how it goes. Debated on doing a 6tablet one, but figured that we’ve already done a higher than normal. Might as well try this.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be how it is for him right now. His coral are large and a lot are touching as well. There is no option of taking them out unless he basically wanted to restart the whole system.

We are going to do a 5 tablet dosage this weekend and let it sit for 12hrs to see how it goes. Debated on doing a 6tablet one, but figured that we’ve already done a higher than normal. Might as well try this.
Same here removing/qt’ing everything isn’t viable option. At any rate it’s one thing to get the acro’s colonies separated, and on top off that totally eliminating acro leftovers on LR or any surface in DT to effectively complete fallow period is daunting task. If I still had small pieces/frags I would most definitely consider it. A 700 gallon I couldn’t imagine. In all honesty I’ve learned interceptor plus is safe after doing crazy high amounts multiple times a few members share the same thoughts. Doing 6 times the standard dose of interceptor isn’t something I could take someone word on, but sure enough after testing then treating the tank everything made it. If it’s at your disposal dosing more won’t hurt and help in winning the battle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here removing/qt’ing everything isn’t viable option. At any rate it’s one thing to get the acro’s colonies separated, and on top off that totally eliminating acro leftovers on LR or any surface in DT to effectively complete fallow period is daunting task. If I still had small pieces/frags I would most definitely consider it. A 700 gallon I couldn’t imagine. In all honesty I’ve learned interceptor plus is safe after doing crazy high amounts multiple times a few members share the same thoughts. Doing 6 times the standard dose of interceptor isn’t something I could take someone word on, but sure enough after testing then treating the tank everything made it. If it’s at your disposal dosing more won’t hurt and help in winning the battle.

You’ve got that right. Can’t just treat the colonies without the rock. 1 large pill is rated @ 400gallons so if I do 6 tablets I’ll be over 3xs the dosage. We will do the same thing for 3-4 weeks and see how it goes this time around.

Hopefully a few others who have done this on large systems will chime in.

Wish us luck lol

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done more than one treatment when treating for red bugs. Three times dosage sounds good but are you sure they are red bugs and not the black/grey bugs everyone is having trouble with? I have never seen red bugs resist an interceptor dose. Maybe try one dose and wait a week to see if they are gone then do another just to make sure but I have never needed to do three, they don’t lay eggs so two should be at most all that’s needed imo and ime. I normally do double the dose and pods bounce back very quickly and even seem like there are more then there was a few weeks after the treatment. Shrimp even live if there are multiples but normally one or two will die. I don’t keep crabs though I think they are most sensitive to it.

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done more than one treatment when treating for red bugs. Three times dosage sounds good but are you sure they are red bugs and not the black/grey bugs everyone is having trouble with? I have never seen red bugs resist an interceptor dose. Maybe try one dose and wait a week to see if they are gone then do another just to make sure but I have never needed to do three, they don’t lay eggs so two should be at most all that’s needed imo and ime. I normally do double the dose and pods bounce back very quickly and even seem like there are more then there was a few weeks after the treatment. Shrimp even live if there are multiples but normally one or two will die. I don’t keep crabs though I think they are most sensitive to it.

We aren’t sure. I’ve been crazy busy with a newborn and work. I know there are all sorts of colors now a day.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try and get a pic of the bugs, if they are not red bugs and are the tougher ones I think people were failing with 5 times dosages of interceptor. I believe someone had luck with a very potent dose but I can’t remember for sure.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it again. MBE can expire with time and otherwise be ineffective with some harsh conditions such as high heat. If this was even remotely a problem, get a fresh batch that has been stored according to the label.

It is safe, so I would try it one or two more times before you give up.

High dosage of MBE is coral safe, but it can kill shrimp, starfish and other inverts.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even at 6x standard dose my scarlet hermits where paralyzed temporarily came out of it eventually. I remember now I did 36 hours exposure time because w/c’s and 48 hours before carbon was added. The skimmer off for the full 48 I don’t run usually carbon or any media or reactors for that matter. I done this twice plan to do 8-10x dosage here shortly. Can’t say for shrimp as my pack of fish murdered my cleaners, peppermints, and harlequin pair randomly.

The treatments have a significant effect on them mine hardly move and stay up inside the coralites definitely the higher the dosage the more PO they get they running around from 0-100. The corals get substantially better after tissue heals and pe returns. Right now there population is low few more ridiculous treatments hoping rid my problem. Just by observing them the corals that are still infected are ones that little no pe I think that the bugs hide in the coralites producing layer that protects them from the treatment or reduces overall exposure.

Last edited:

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a few dragon face pipefish. I had RB on a few frags and didn’t want to deal with interceptor so I added one and haven’t seen RB in maybe a year. Pipefish died a few months back but haven’t seen the RB return. On a tank that size I certainly wouldn’t entertain a tear down, hospital tank treatments, fallow, etc.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leopard she does occasionally she will never single handly wipe the out. The pipefish I’ve tried that to and if you have flow forget about it.

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try and get a pic of the bugs, if they are not red bugs and are the tougher ones I think people were failing with 5 times dosages of interceptor. I believe someone had luck with a very potent dose but I can’t remember for sure.

I will see if he can do that and shoot me some over. Been a crazy week for me with the newborn and my sons 3rd bday.

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it again. MBE can expire with time and otherwise be ineffective with some harsh conditions such as high heat. If this was even remotely a problem, get a fresh batch that has been stored according to the label.

It is safe, so I would try it one or two more times before you give up.

High dosage of MBE is coral safe, but it can kill shrimp, starfish and other inverts.

It was all brand new stuff we got from the vet. He did it 4 weeks in a row and they came back. We were going to do it last week, but he wants me to get more input before and his corals are doing so well right now he doesn’t want to throw the system a curveball.

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a few dragon face pipefish. I had RB on a few frags and didn’t want to deal with interceptor so I added one and haven’t seen RB in maybe a year. Pipefish died a few months back but haven’t seen the RB return. On a tank that size I certainly wouldn’t entertain a tear down, hospital tank treatments, fallow, etc.

Tanks loaded with a lot of aggressive fish, no sand, and lots of flow. I don’t think he will have any luck with them.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pipefish hug the rocks and can handle a good bit of flow. They are not your typical pipefish. None of your other fish would likely even notice them. In a tank as large as yours they would get plenty of pods so no worries about them competing for food.

OKCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran Interceptor plus yesterday for over 12 hours and it killed a ton of red bugs but tonight I saw a lot in my 130 gallon waterbox. Im thinking double my dose and let it run even longer. They are literally wiping out my tank except for the zoas.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back